Poll: Ginger or Mary Ann

colterphoto1

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Sorry for the major, major, major bump on this thread but there is some new news on this subject that I think will cause many here to rethink there decision on this matter.

There has been a question among the men of my generation that heretofore has been the subject of considerable debate and, occasionally, downright fist fights and mashing of teeth. As evidenced by this thread, It is such a fundamental question that it needs no set up, no background, no explanation of the question, or the reason it is being asked. You can gain more insight into a male, born between the years 1950 to 1970 (maybe beyond given syndication) by simply asking the question. Psychologists would like to be able to ask the question but can’t because it would reveal them for what they really are, overpaid and not nearly as good as an experienced bartender.

Until now, I thought I knew the answer. It was a no-brainer. I digress, as I was thinking about this I suddenly realized that my friend Guy, who is the nephew of Ms. Wells, did not get a choice. If he didn’t go with “the movie star” they would have subjected him to all kinds of testing and probing, his family is from Reno, not Arkansas after all. So my friend Guy is the only guy (as in male, not the only person named Guy) I know who gets a legitimate pass on the question as he has to go with Ginger.

Back to the story, any hoooooo, you all know what the arguments are for each one, and why going for one or the other says so much about you. Since I was 5 years old, 1965, I have been “Ginger.” I never wavered, never faltered, and never hesitated, not even one time. Over time the reasons for being a Ginger obviously change, and for some cause them to jump ship and go over to “and the rest.” Not me, once a Ginger always a Ginger. I can’t remember the reasons but I am sure they had to be different when I was 5 as compared to when I was 14, but whatever they were, they were always Ginger. Later in life I came to realize that with Ginger it was going to cost every red cent I made and surely lead to an early bypass, that didn’t matter because you just knew it was going to be worth the ride. To me I never understood why there was even a question. It was so fundamental it would be like asking “Ginger or Mrs. Howell” (although she had big bucks I could see some going that way, she never made it into the question). I understand there are those that take exactly the opposite view, and have feelings just as strong about Mary Ann, but that’s why the question is so revealing, so fundamental, and, at least until now, impossible to answer definitively.

All of that changed today, my world has been shattered. I am here now, in public, bearing my soul and confessing that I am switching to Mary Ann. After 40 years of being “a Ginger” I saw the light when I came across this article today: Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island," is serving six months' unsupervised probation View Full Story Mary Ann is COOL, and that beats out anything Ginger ever could be. Ginger, I’m sorry, but you just can’t beat COOL. Good looks, sex appeal, charm, a body built for sin, etc., etc. only go so far and only last so long. COOL never goes out of style, COOL never diminishes, COOL never dims. Mary Ann, I’m sorry I did not see the light earlier. All I can say is that I will try to recompense for the error in my ways. Where ever and whenever the question is raised I will be the standard bearer for Mary Ann. Travis

P.S. Marsha, Jan or Cindy?

Mary Ann or Ginger? Hmmm.... Why not both? Mrs Howell never really entered into the picture though with Mr Howell out of the picture I suspect she could've been a sugar mama.

Let's see.... Hollywood glizt, glamour, and too much make up and expensive clothes for a 3 hour cruise (artificial) or a down to earth real girl.... if ya had to choose guys it should be no contest....

Of course in the island beauty pagaent, Gilligan went native with Gladys the chimpanzee or was she an orangutan. Gilligan should've went into politics.

But you got to agree with Travis, Mary Ann's now got that COOL factor ... a little bad, but only a little, more just having some fun.... With Ginger, it'd all be publicity stunts or hollywood celebrity going out of control. Mary Ann seems to be holding up pretty well at 69

post-26727-1381937439134_thumb.jpg

Is it not true that the opening song was changed. The first version ended with " . . . the movie star and the rest". Then this was changed to " . . . the Professor and Mary Ann."

I remember the song both ways. The first version seemed to short change the Professor and Mary Ann. I mean come on, a dude who can build all kinds of crazy stuff out of coconuts and an honest to goodness real babe deserved more than "and the rest". Maybe they were more marginal characters to begin with?

If I pay extra can't I have them both at same time?

Pay? JB. Didn't you always wonder why Gilligan was always so happy and why he was always accused of bungling their rescue attempts? And trust, me the things Thebes and myself know about Mary Ann (from some other more recent Gilligan's Island related post...) [:#]