Greatest Rock Drummers!

Bonzo

For what it's worth, here's my list of the top ten Rock Drummers of all time, in no particular order except for number 1!

1. John "Bonzo" Bonham

2. Aynsley Dunbar

3. Bill Bruford

4. Ginger Baker

5. Jim Capaldi

6. Ringo Starr

7. Charlie Watts

8. Carmine Appice

9. Neil Peart

10. Dennis Chambers

Honorable mention to Doug "Cosmo" Clifford.

I respect all these drummers for the different aspects they have brought to how I approach playing. Some would argue with Ringo Starr being a great drummer. How many of us picked up the sticks after seeing Ringo on The Ed Sullivan Show? Count me as one! Sitting above the rest on that riser and looking like he is just having a ball, that's for me. Inspiration counts for a lot, but, BONZO IS KING!!!

Good list Bonzo. Of course your namesake is the Number one on most drummer lists.

But I'd like to see added/modified to include

Ian Paice of Deep Purple- he rocks, he swings, he lays a steady hand.

Keith Moon- ok, not a brilliant timekeeper, okay lousy, but he made the drums an attack instrument

Simon Phillips- Keith's replacement and studio standard, he can emulate anyones licks.

Carl Palmer-c'mon the guy's got a phd in percussion, could wipe up the floor with Neil Peart.

Those on your list that I think could be bumped.

Ginger Baker- good but not great by any standard

Jim Capaldi- just not brilliant

Carmine Appice, good like Simon Phillips, but never got a truly great band in front of him

Dennis Chambers- CCR, right? I dunno, kinda lackluster in my book

Michael

Opinions are like,...well everyone has one. (and you did ask)

Way too many VERY good drummers to list but I agree that John Bonham should be at the top, no doubt in my mind.

But to me VERY near the top should be Keith Moon.

And although I love what The Beatles did, Ringo isn't anything to write home about.

Alex Van Halen is no slouch either.

Regards,

I never got into Keith Moon. The only Who song I have covered in the countless bands I have been in is Pinball Wizard, pretty basic. While he is a great showman, probably second to Pete in The Who, I just feel he was all over the place with his playing.

Ringo was the reason I started playing and hey, he was in that moderately popular band from England.

Jim Capaldi is one of the best time keepers I have ever heard. Just listen to some of the original Traffic stuff like" Dear Mr. Fantasy."

Come on, Ginger Baker? Dust off the Blind Faith album and listen to "Do What You Like."

Nuff Said.....

Oh, Dennis Chambers is Dave Matthews drummer, he's awesome!

Ringo was a perfect drummer, he did exactly what was needed to make the SONG and the BAND sound good. I remember back in 67 when Sgt. Peppers came out all the drummers were doing that whump---bop--whump-whump-bop thing from the title song.

When I hear a guy bumrap Ringo I figure he doesn't know much about drummin'. And I sure as Hell wouldn't want to play in a band with a drummer that didn't appreciate Ringo. No, you don't have to play like him but you have to appreciate him.

Listening to "Rubber Soul" right now, nice work Ringo! This thread has not been very kind to Keith Moon, so I will step in and say listen to his work on "Who's Next", not too shabby in my opinion, especially for someone who was probably ripped most of the time. Also, I do not think anyone has mentioned Carl Palmer. He could smoke a good many drummers on his worst day. I have seen ELP live many times and always found myself just fixed on and mesmerized by this guys activity on the kit.

Ringo was a perfect drummer, he did exactly what

was needed to make the SONG and the BAND sound good. I remember back in

67 when Sgt. Peppers came out all the drummers were doing that

whump---bop--whump-whump-bop thing from the title song.

When I

hear a guy bumrap Ringo I figure he doesn't know much about drummin'.

And I sure as Hell wouldn't want to play in a band with a drummer that

didn't appreciate Ringo. No, you don't have to play like him but you

have to appreciate him.

Ringos a lefty he rolls the wrong way, nobody sounds like him

No Keith Moon!?[:o] Amazing! His intuitive sense of rhythm was not only fundamental to The Who, but it makes the textbook learning of the best sound downright trivial ...Just listen to The Who without him! tick tock tick tock

Richard Hayward from Little Feat - who else routinely plays such radical time structures and delightfully whacked changes and makes it look easy!

Stewart Copeland from the Police & Animal Logic - nuance, subtlety, intricacy! And a tuned kit that will put even Neil Peart to shame! (Listen to Animal Logic 2) - an engineer's delight! - plus with his list of extensive accomplishments... - if you don't know to what I'm referring you need to start investigating!

Jim Keltner (session work) - again, if you don't know his list of accomplishments I can't begin to tell you! Who hasn't this guy played with!? He is so pervasive I was thinking this was the name for some kind of drum machine! But then again, he is!

And Bonzo was great, but his resistance to close miking has left too much of his fine work lost in the mud! Two steps forward, two steps back!

Clive Bunker - Tull '68 to '72 & Barriemore Barlow - Tull '72-79 Amazing talent and people! But too often overlooked due to the abundance of showmanship up front! (Just as Martin Barre is shamefully overlooked as a guitarist!)

Also Mick Fleetwood - what a history! - and you can't hold the last incarnation of Fleetwood Mac against him! Hell, its amazing anyone could hold them together as Stevie frantically searches for a key - any key! and her cocaine, from a dimension that even Buckaroo Bansai has yet to explore!

And you leave off Hal Blaine (session work) at your own risk. I mean there must have been at least 15 songs from the '60s he didn't actually perform in the studio! ...Regardless of who's name is on the album cover credits!

If Ringo was your reason why you play, then it was Hal who taught you how to play!

And no mention of anyone from the Allman Brothers?????????????? Oh, I guess that's because they didn't inspire and set the standard for all other dual percussionists! Hmmm...

Ringo for personality (lots!) and solid reliability - but not for innovation! More a social then a musical phenomena...

Its hard to ignore Mike Portnoy for his technical prowess...

And I'm rather glad you didn't include percussionists! But Ray Cooper would definitely be on that list! Plus he is a show unto himself! As would Sam Clayton, and too many others!

And there are too many others! Michael Shrieve, Tony Williams, Cobham, B Rich, Manu Katche, Jeff Porcaro, Rod Morgenstein, G Krupa, Alex Acuna, Ed Shaughnassey (sp), and the list goes on ...

But NO KEITH MOON!?!?!?! Pure Insanity!

I feel certain that if any of you drumming fans purchased the Rush In Rio DVD and watched a true master by the name of Neil Peart do his stuff on O Baterista you would reassess you opinion of who is very good,great or gifted. Im a huge Zep fan but the gifted Mr Peart makes J,Bonham seem sedated on Moby Dick.O Baterista displays drumming bliss and is worth getting the DVD for that composition alone .It will showcase anyones audio system as well,

nobody else for the poll, but kudos for an excellent topic, lack of flames and thoughtful insight guys!

I do agree with the comments about Ringo. Not a flamboyant drummer, but rock solid, artistic, and boy could he sing!

Check out Keith Moon on Quadrophenia. Think of the drums as a lead instrument. Keith was a Beach Boys fan and always wanted to be a guitarist, that's why he was so over the top, playing melody lines instead of solid rhythm with his drumming. And those cymbal washes- there's just something moving all the time, he wasn't merely a madman clown of the band, he rocked.

Michael