Greatest Rock Drummers!

Bonzo

Hmm, pretty much the basic list is all here, but for the best Living and playing drummer today, as stated by mr.

Neal Peart, the only soul that is heir to the thrown

Danny Carey "Tool" , the man is absolutely the most complex and

accomplished today. I've seen most of the big bands mentioned here and

more, lots of heavy metal, super speed, and just excellent rythm

bands, but forget it, when danny and tool hit the stage almost nobody

comes close accept when I saw Floyd, but this is very different music

emotionally and very off timing.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Danny_Carey.html

post-15597-13819271908808_thumb.jpg

Those are killer solos man,

Vinnie Coliutta, wasn't he also another Zappa alum?

And don't forget the amazing Michael Shrieve, drummer at Woodstock for Santana and that brilliant solo, what was he, like 17 at the time. Later went on with Automatic Man, kind of a Brazilian synth/percussion outfit, I have two of their LP's.

Michael

• Moderators

Kenny Arnoff

What she said. Although I think it is actually spelled Aronoff. [:D] One of the most versatile drummers on the planet.

Also agree with most mentioned here. My faves:

Mike Portnoy

Carl Palmer

Neal Peart

Kenny Aronoff

Pat Mastelotto

John Bonham

Jukka Nevalainen

Among others...

Ooops, thanks for the correction.

I was a fan of his back in the 80's-Mellencamp days. He's come a long way since then.

And it doesn't hurt that he's a Klipsch-endorser! [;)]

I agree with most of the drummers on here but I would have to add

Bill Kreutzmann

Mickey Hart

from the Grateful Dead. Now some may argue that the Dead is not a "rock" band and that they are both more percussionists than just drummers but I feel any discussion of all time great drummers must include them.

Laters,

Jeff

• Moderators

An IU school of Music grad, can't be bad! He's uber-cool, looks great on all those music videos. Wonder how many sessions and drum clinics he's done already!

Michael

I actually had no idea until I looked here... http://www.kennyaronoff.com/Discography.htm

There was (is?) a class at IU called the History of Rock and Roll... Kenny was always a featured speaker for a day. I wonder if he still does that....

Oh, Dennis Chambers is Dave Matthews drummer, he's awesome!

I think you've misspelled "Carter Beauford." [;)]

Some I've seen named a lot on this thread, and some I've not seen named --

Neil Peart

John Bonham

Stuart Copeland

Larry Mullin

Terry Bozzio

Dave Grohl

Bill Bruford

Josh Freese

John Dolmayan

Dale Crover

Tim Alexander

Matt Cameron

Jason Roeder

Hey Olorin,

You are correct, I confused Carter Beauford with Dennis Chambers, it must be old age or something. Carter Beauford is awesome, and so is Dennis Chambers! Chambers played with Steely Dan on their Alive in America tour. He was also in Funkadelic and John Schofield's band! More of a Jazz/Funk drummer but did great work with Steely Dan. I will have to correct my initial list.

If you ever get a chance to go to a clinic by Bobby Rock, I would hughly recommended it. He is an outstanding drummer with some wicked feet! I think he uses about twelve different pedals for various things. He did some work with Nelson, Ricky's kids, but I'm not sure of any other artist he played with, maybe Victor Wooten? The guy will make you want to burn your sticks and take up the harp! Hey, at least it's a lot less equipment to haul![:D]

Hey Olorin,

You are correct, I confused Carter Beauford with Dennis Chambers, it must be old age or something. Carter Beauford is awesome, and so is Dennis Chambers! Chambers played with Steely Dan on their Alive in America tour. He was also in Funkadelic and John Schofield's band! More of a Jazz/Funk drummer but did great work with Steely Dan. I will have to correct my initial list.

If you ever get a chance to go to a clinic by Bobby Rock, I would hughly recommended it. He is an outstanding drummer with some wicked feet! I think he uses about twelve different pedals for various things. He did some work with Nelson, Ricky's kids, but I'm not sure of any other artist he played with, maybe Victor Wooten? The guy will make you want to burn your sticks and take up the harp! Hey, at least it's a lot less equipment to haul![:D]

Bonzo:

Bobby Rock is a close personal friend of mine. We have stayed in communication since I met him when he was 16 years old. Believe it or not, he was a client of mine in the younger "before his Berklee" days.

He is indeed a "monster" on the drum kit ; using at least that many pedals you suggested on the floor .

He is also a true "vegan" and health advisor. Catch up on him at www.bobbyrock.com

Are you from Houston, too ? If not, where have you see his clinics ?

I am glad to see a few mentions of Steve Gadd. As for Carl Palmer wiping the floor with Neil Peart, I'm not too sure of that. I am a big fan of both, it would be great to see them do a collaboration solo trading album ala "Rich versus Roach." Billy Cobham was one my biggest influences, and one of my very first albums is his "Crosswinds," a fusion effort using the Brecker brothers on horns.

I am loyal to my early seventies Ludwig set, Remo black dot heads, and also early seventies A. Ziljian cymbals, especially the 8" splash.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I just wanna make some eardrums bleed. Heavy..duty...heavy duty rock and roll..."

Michael,

These are the guys that grew up listening to Bonham, Palmer, and Peart,

and they're pushing it forward now. IMO, at least. :-)

Josh Freese -- Drummer for The Vandals, now with A Perfect

Circle. He's done a ton of studio work, including most of Chris

Cornell's (Soundgarden) solo project "Euphoria Morning." He gets

some disrespect for that because some see him as just a hired gun, but

the guy can play anything. Check out his "performed with" list at

drummerworld.com.

John Dolmayan -- System of a Down. Fast, tight, technical, and aggressive.

Dale Crover -- Melvins

Tim Alexander -- Primus

Matt Cameron -- Soundgarden

Jason Roeder -- Neurosis. The darkest metal band you've never heard.

I also should have included Danney Carey of Tool.

I didn't know who John Bonham was until I googled his name and found

out he was with Led Zepplin . And yes, I know who they are.

In fact, most of the names here are unknown to the average person.

I thought greatness is achieved when someone transends their field and

becomes a household name. Like Muhammed Ali, Michael Jordan or

Ringo Starr.

This thread is more like "who is your favorite rock drummer" or "who is the most talented rock drummer".

Just an observation.

Hey Craig,

I saw one of Bobby Rock's clinics in Redding California about 4 years ago, AWESOME!!! He can do more on a practice pad with a towel on it than I can do with a whole kit. OK, so maybe thats an exageration.

One thing that really impressed me was, he broke his snare head in the middle a song. His tech. came out, removed the snare, replaced it with another and if you didn't see it happen, you wouldn't have known it! He didn't miss a lick with another guy in the middle of his kit removing and replacing a snare, WOW!!! I will certainly check his web page and try to catch another clinic and be humbled once again!

Mark

I didn't know who John Bonham was until I googled his name and found out he was with Led Zepplin . And yes, I know who they are.

In fact, most of the names here are unknown to the average person.

I thought greatness is achieved when someone transends their field and becomes a household name. Like Muhammed Ali, Michael Jordan or Ringo Starr.

This thread is more like "who is your favorite rock drummer" or "who is the most talented rock drummer".

Just an observation.

Stan. John Bonham is a household name for most people. He transcended his field with powerful beats that ran counter intuitively to how many would have played the song, gave new emphasis to what the bass drum was all about, and was rock steady yet had a bluesy, laid back feel that made Zeppelin so compelling to hear. Mentioning Bonham and Starr in the same sentence conjures up two completely different ideas of talent and greatness. Imagine Bonham playing for the Beatles, and well it might seem possible. Now imagine Starr with Led Zeppelin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"With a double major in acting and international languages, you're the perfect weapon."