Greatest Rock Drummers!

Bonzo

If you polled 200 people on the street about who they knew off a list of all the drummers on this thread, I think we all know who would be the most recognized drummer. Ringo Starr--

If you polled all the drummers at a drumming exhibition who their favorite drummer is/was, you'd probably get a hundred answers. And maybe Mike Portnoy would have one more vote than the second most favorite.

If you polled a bunch of stereo aficianados on a Klipsch Forum, you would have 7 pages (and counting) of wildly diverse opinions of drummers, guitarists, bassists, band chemistries and my-guy- is- better- than- your- guy battles.

Me? I think drummers are all a bunch of freakazoid hammerhead fags-- just cover 'em all up with big cymbals!][;)][:P][:D][<:o)][8][H]

...just kidding...

If you polled 200 people on the street about who they knew off a list of all the drummers on this thread, I think we all know who would be the most recognized drummer. Ringo Starr--

If you polled all the drummers at a drumming exhibition who their favorite drummer is/was, you'd probably get a hundred answers. And maybe Mike Portnoy would have one more vote than the second most favorite.

If you polled a bunch of stereo aficianados on a Klipsch Forum, you would have 7 pages (and counting) of wildly diverse opinions of drummers, guitarists, bassists, band chemistries and my-guy- is- better- than- your- guy battles.

Me? I think drummers are all a bunch of freakazoid hammerhead fags-- just cover 'em all up with big cymbals!][;)][:P][:D][<:o)][8][H]

...just kidding...

I was hoping you werekidding. YOu were gettin' a little personal there.[li]

Anybody ever heard of Tony Thompson? He played with "The Power Station" and when Zep did a 40th Atlantic Records concert, He AND Philly boy played together to fill the shoes of the one and only "Bonzo"

He was a formidible talent, I've been racking my brain trying to think of his name. Thanks. He was a real power hitter, but still without the polyrhythmic skills of Bonzo imho.

Michael

And since so many are so open to defining "greatest drummer" by such strange subjective standards, I don't think we should discriminate against inanimate life forms.

I think you have to include Animal from the Muppets! Few play with the intensity and dedication that he brings to his craft.

Heck, he has certainly inspired me much more than Ringo has! And he has done it without using Pamela Anderson, or anyone else for that matter, as a practice pad!

And how can anyone ignore the drum machine and sequencer? It's credits far surpass any other individual drummer's credits (save perhaps Hal Blaine) mentioned thus far! Besides, no one mentioned can perform with as much precision, nor as reliably! And without the attitude!

And Mickey Dolenz! After all, for several seasons few bands were as popuplar as the Monkeys. And he is still able to pack venues long after the other notable drummers have become relatively unknown civilians! I mean, how many people recognize Mike Portnoy on the street!?

And I find it rather curious that no one has mentioned Roy Wooten, a person who has has a much more significant impact upon the total approach to the drums then most of the other notables mentioned! Of course, how many even here know who he is?

Also, JDBlair and Ralph Pace

I think this thread has long since run its course!

Here's a couple of drummer jokes to add to this thread. Drummers, please don't take personal offense at these...they are just jokes...

How can you tell if your stage is level?

The drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth

How can you tell when a drummer is at your door?

The doorbell drags...

What was the last thing the drummer said to his band before he was fired?

Hey guys, how 'bout we try one of my songs.

Mike Portnoy-Dreamtheater is pretty good live. Neal Peart is the best I have seen live. Carl Palmer was amazing with ELP back in 77. Lenny White with Return to Forever had a great mix and could play with amazing force. Terry Bozzio was unreal with Zappa. With all of the different time signatures, I had a hard time keeping up just watching. Of course Buddy Rich and Gene Kruppa are from another era where you just did not have massive kit.

Another thread would be the best drum solo. Hemisphere's tour ala Neil Peart would get my vote.

2. Led Zepplin 77

3. Zappa 77

4. ELP 77

5. Genesis 76 Chester and Phil

Here's a couple of drummer jokes to add to this thread. Drummers, please don't take personal offense at these...they are just jokes...

How can you tell if your stage is level?

The drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth

How can you tell when a drummer is at your door?

The doorbell drags...

What was the last thing the drummer said to his band before he was fired?

Hey guys, how 'bout we try one of my songs.

hah!

How do you get a drummer off your porch?

--pay for the pizza--