Forte in Stereo Review 1986

RichardP

Here are the two pages of Julian Hirsch's 1986 Stereo Review article on the original Forte. I haven't seen this posted here before; given the popularity of the Forte, here it is FYI. It was this article that got me wanting the Forte, and three years later, I got them.

Hopefully, page 1 will appear; then page 2 below. They are 150-200kb jpg files.

post-13581-1381927188808_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Richard, you might want to rescan and repost. I would love to read that article, but at your current scan resolution, It is just unreadable on my monitor.

Thanks

I know the reduced "thumbnail" image that eventually shows up below my words is too small, but can you not click on it and get an enlarged version (the original size)? They show up as easily readable on my monitor. Let me know if you can't, and I will retry.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys. I saved the files into my pictures and opened them in a viewer program. Very readable then. Cool review. I've always said that the Original Forte was a very formidable speaker. I especially agree with author about the bass giving a better response than it even tests. The Forte is very clean, very low.

Damn .....

what happened to REAL reviews .....

you know ... full of FACT's ........????

and, Yes ...I love my Forte' 2's

Sadly, they went away, along with Julian Hirsch and Stereo Review.

No one it seems, least of all the manufacturers of expensive high end gear, wanted

to read that 12ga zip cord works as well as $2500 speaker cables. It

destroys too many fantasies and too many profits.

I remember reading that Forte review when it came out. I talked to

a couple of dealers at the time about trading my decorator Cornwalls in

on a new pair of Fortes. But no one was interested.

I'm still not sure if I'm sorry about this...

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I saw this after buying mine, totally validating my impulse purchase! I knew the history and reputation, generaly speaking, of vintage Klipsch, and when the man I bought my Harman Kardon 430 showed me the Fortes that were too big for the room they were in, it was a no-brainer. When real vintage comes calling, I answer! This could be the best vintage purchase I ever made, short of some Sansuis and some 60's and 70' Fender Precision Basses I've had over the years...

...they went away, along with Julian Hirsch and Stereo Review.

No one it seems, least of all the manufacturers of expensive high end gear, wanted to read that 12ga zip cord works as well as $2500 speaker cables. It

destroys too many fantasies and too many profits.

Stereo Review is gone, and so is using zip cord. Your half right, nobody wanted to read Stereo Reviews "all amps sound the same" reviews.

Thanx, Russ

...they went away, along with Julian Hirsch and Stereo Review. No one it seems, least of all the manufacturers of expensive high end gear, wanted to read that 12ga zip cord works as well as $2500 speaker cables. It destroys too many fantasies and too many profits.

Stereo Review is gone, and so is using zip cord. Your half right, nobody wanted to read Stereo Reviews "all amps sound the same" reviews. Thanx, Russ

Yeah facts really take the fantesy out of audio. Really sucks!

I still have this issue, and back in the day, read the review about a dozen times.

When I was shopping for a wider-range speaker than my Boston Acoustics A-60's, I was impressed by the frequency range of the Forte, and by this review. Hearing a pair of Cornwalls suspended from the ceiling/corners of a local business, then finally audtioning the Forte at the nearest shop that carried Klipsch (about 200-mile round-trip), I very nearly ordered them via catalog, when a local car audio shop expanded to include Klipsch, including the Forte. I was already sold on them from the road-trip audition, gave them a token audition at the local shop, and loaded them up in the Buick (one in the trunk, the other in the back seat).

One move from a rental duplex to our current house, and they have been in roughly the same spot in my living room for the past 20 years... I swapped out the crossovers and tweeter diaphragms this year, along with upgrading to Cardas Binding posts, and am still loving the (mostly) full-range sound these provide. I have not heard anything new out in the market - other than Klipschorns - that has impressed me more, including some fairly expensive Martin Logans, B&W's, and Focals.

While I recognized a few years later how mostly deaf the reviewers at Stereo Review were, I still give props to the late Julian Hirsch for bringing this speaker to the foreground of my attention...