Chorus II crossover upgrade?

kenratboy

as happy as i am with my bob crites C2 crossover upgrades, i would be interested in taking the crossovers to the "next level" if possible.... from what bob lead me to believe, there was no benefit of doing anything more.... so you guys are saying a "cost no object" cornwall 2 upgrade would run over $300?

Egads, this stupid thread was almost off the page and you bumped it with a Cornwall II question! :)

You should be happy, because what Bob sent you is much better than what you had in there before. Bob won't agree with me, but the "next step" would be to replace the motor run capacitors with some Auricaps, Kimbers, or if you can afford them -- some nice film and foils. About a $100 in parts.

You should be happy, because what Bob sent you is much better than what you had in there before. Bob won't agree with me, but the "next step" would be to replace the motor run capacitors with some Auricaps, Kimbers, or if you can afford them -- some nice film and foils. About a $100 in parts.

I agree 150% with what Dean said with first hand experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris, got a kick out of your exchange with Dean. I have been considering an upgrade of my Chorus I speakers but now I am somewhat confused.

I e-mailed Klipsch about the merits of upgrading. Got a thorough reply. Essentially, Klipsch said they had no evidence that an upgrade would result in improved sound. They did say, however, that some people may sense an improvement but that it would be merely subjective.

I would love to hear what reference Klipsch is using as a base to say that replacing your old stale parts with even inexpensive new ones wouldn't be an improvement. How old are Chorus I's now 20 years or so? I think they just send back the pre-programmed answer without reference to age. I mean would they come back with the same answer for 35 years old Heritage speakers? I know the speakers Trey brought to the mixer for the Pilgrimage had all new caps installed in them.......

Craig

Those of us who work on crossovers a lot may disagree and argue a lot on what components to use to rebuild old crossovers and to build completely new ones. I think we might come dangerously close to agreement though on one thing. If those old crossovers are at least twenty years old, the caps are likely bad. Replacing them with good caps is a good thing to do and easily a noticeable improvement in sound.

Now when we talk about the Chorus I and II, Forte I and II, and Cornwall II, and Heresy II, I would not wait even close to the twenty years to do a replacement. The quality of the original parts in those crossovers was not so good even when new.

Bob Crites

• Like 1

Those of us who work on crossovers a lot may disagree and argue a lot on what components to use to rebuild old crossovers and to build completely new ones. I think we might come dangerously close to agreement though on one thing. If those old crossovers are at least twenty years old, the caps are likely bad. Replacing them with good caps is a good thing to do and easily a noticeable improvement in sound. Now when we talk about the Chorus I and II, Forte I and II, and Cornwall II, and Heresy II, I would not wait even close to the twenty years to do a replacement. The quality of the original parts in those crossovers was not so good even when new. Bob Crites

Geezz what the heck is the world coming to now I agree 150% with Bob[8-)]

• 15 years later...

you didnt need to revive a 5 year old thread for that question... but the simple answer is any place that sells capacitors & pick what meets your budget if you can install them yourself, otherwise there are a couple members on here that can upgrade yours from stock, best to start a new thread.   

& welcome to the forum, but nobody is going to reply to a gmail email when they can answer your question here, or on a new thread you start.   

• 9 months later...

I got the titanium diaphragms for my Chorus II speakers, as well as the Crites Chorus II crossovers. The sound is much better. However, it does not approach the upgrade of the ALK crossovers. As it turns out, ALK is not developing crossovers for the Chorus II. Is it possible to get the same ALK quality elsewhere?