The best noise canceling headphones?

Ki Choi

Guys:

I could't take the Khorns on the airplane, unfortunately.
So, let me know your recommendation for a set of noise canceling headphones. I spend long hours on airplanes and do like the size my son's iPod Nano. iPod seems to be a good alternative to entertainment program on the airplanes for its convinence but I'd like to find a good set of headphones to go with it (other than the Bose option...).

Thanks,

Ki

Everyone has read the adds for the famous Bose noise canceling headphones. From the adds I always thought they were some kind of revolutionary Bose cutting edge product.

However, I travel a lot and one time had the opportunity to try them out in an airport that had a demo setup. Basically, they remove very low bass, that's all. It just so happens it makes things more pleasant on an airplane, but they do not have the ability to dynamically cancel out sound so as to produce silence inside the headphones. No way.

The demo simply had a sub woofer set up in a room and when you put the headphones on, you could almost hear no subwoofer sound once the noise canceling was turned on. That's all. The headphones were neat in that you could turn on the noise canceling without any music so that you could theoretically dial out the airplane engine sound without having to listen to anything else.

But that's about it. Nothing spectacular.

It just so happens it makes things more pleasant on an airplane, but they do not have the ability to dynamically cancel out sound so as to produce silence inside the headphones...you could turn on the noise canceling without any music so that you could theoretically dial out the airplane engine sound without having to listen to anything else.

The Bose set I got about 5 years ago reduced external noise by only 15 db, nowhere near enough to surmount the noise level inside a plane. It also added electronic hiss to the background. Not recommended by me, either.

Sorry to hear that you actually bought a pair and appear to be disappointed. I never tried them on a plane, only in a room in the airport. So, I don't know if they work any better these days than 5 years ago.

I would not buy a pair anyway. When I tried them I was not the least bit impressed.

When I am on an airplane "that sound" almost always puts me to sleep right away anyhow. Since I'm not one of those "use my PC on the plane" kinda guys, it suits me just fine to fall asleep. That way I'm rested and alert when I get to my destination which is almost always work of some sort. So I really don't mind the noise at all.

Now if the headphones kept your ears from popping, maybe they'd have something.

etymotic research er6 are great er4 are better but the fact that they need a headphone amp may be their downfall.

Shure e3c and e4c are great but $$$

the e2c are too boomy

the ultimate ears i never tried.

By the way the in ear headphones have better noise cancellation then the active bose headphones

I bought a pair of Sony "really in your ear" ear buds. Sorry I don't have them here to give you a model number. I think they were $60. Performance is very good both from a standpoint of sound inside and cutting off outside sound.

They make a lot of sense when travelling because they are very light weight. Every ounce counts when you have to haul your stuff out to a distant gate. Are the airlines saving fuel by making us walk half way to the destination?

To tell a story. I got caught out of town on a project and needed a laptop. So I bought a Compaq widescreen, demo model on sale. After the project was completed I was stuck in a hotel room for a spell and bought the Sony earbuds and Master and Commander.

Wow.

Now I find the isolation is welcome on the bus and at the health club with a Walkman.

One gripe is that the cord to one bud is much shorter to the other. A balanced set up would have been better. But I can live with it.

I had Pro-4A in college and they were a mainstay at the college radio station.. They were a marvel in their day when "hi fi" and stereo was taking off. Nonetheless, I would not buy them today. It is somewhat heartening that the design has lasted this long.

A fellow I met says he uses ordinary earbuds and then puts on ear protectors (the big earmuff type) while travelling on airplanes. I think that is too much. Quite a clever idea though.

Gil

Guys:

I could't take the Khorns on the airplane, unfortunately.

So, let me know your recommendation for a set of noise canceling headphones. I spend long hours on airplanes and do like the size my son's iPod Nano. iPod seems to be a good alternative to entertainment program on the airplanes for its convinence but I'd like to find a good set of headphones to go with it (other than the Bose option...).

Thanks,

Ki

I know just what you need.....and they're awsome. For my second trip to S.Africa, 18hrs on a plane aint easy.....I did some research and ended up getting ....SENNHEISER's. PXC 300. Simply awsome headphones, light weight, collapsable and with their own handy dandy zip up protective pouch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT:

Almost forgot, they even come with the airline plug. Nothing else needed. If you're looking to spend a little less, the also make a PXC 200 or something like that.

like these:

09 / 27 / 05

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio EarphonesUltimate Ears has released the Super.fi 3 Studio earphones ($100) that utilizes a proprietary, vented, single-speaker design. Ultimate Ears claims that unique acoustic engineering and construction techniques allow the Super.fi 3 Studio earpieces to produce deep bass to good levels while also providing clear mids and crisp highs. The shape and snug fit is said to be based on Ultimate Ears' 10 years of experience in handcrafting earphones from silicone impressions of customers' ears. This provides not only wearing comfort, but also 26dB of noise isolation. This is much higher than normal 'noise canceling' type closed ear headphones while also allowing the ear better ventilation than closed type headphones. Each pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 comes with a leather case, an earphone cleaning tool, and a 10-piece fit kit to adapt the earphones to different ear shapes. The Super.fi line also offers two premium dual-speaker models with low- and high-frequency speakers in each ear. The Super.fi 5 EB (Extended Bass, $200), with 16dB of noise isolation is aimed at the aficionados of driving low end and the company's Super.fi 5 Pro ($250) has more neutral audio signature with 26dB of noise isolation.