Forte, Cornwall, Heresy....?? WHich one for a metal head?

A friend of mine recently asked him to hgelp him set up a decent stereo system for his new house. He doesnt wanna spend big bucks, maybe $2.5k total for speakers, amp and cd player. I mediately though of a used pair of Klipsch Forte or Cornwalls, they can rock and dont require big expensive power amps to do so. My question is, whicch of the Klipsch's is best suited to this kind of music, his room is mid sized about 20x14ft. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BTW my basement system is coming along great, I have a pair of PSB Stratus Goldi's in the house right now to compare to the RF-7's Im driving them with Mccormack TLC/Dna-1 amplification and I must say the PSB's are giv ing the RF-7's a run for thier money, the bass is one area the PSB's have the Klipsch's beat for sure, everything else is quite close with the edge in dynamics and loudness going to the Klipsch's. Its gonna be a tough descision, the PSB's are more forgiving than the Klipsch's which may be the determining factor considering how bad some of the rock recordings are.

Happy Listening!

I would suggest the Cornwall or Forte'

I pounded my Forte's for 12 years with a 300W X 2 DBX BX-3 power amplifier playing all sorts metal and hard rock the majority of the time they never failed to dish it out at HIGH SPL's! I blew the tweeters once but it was an easy fix and most likely due to the DBX 3BX-III Range Expander that I was using at the time.

Cornwalls, definitely out of those three. Good bargain, good bass, will fairly well scream with modest input. If you've got the bucks, LS is 6 db (can you say 'as much as adding FOUR TIMES the wattage') but are about twice as deep in cabinetry. I think the CW's are smoother response and dig pretty durn deep.

Michael

How would you guys say the Forte or Chorus compare to the newer RF-7?? I own a pair of RF-7 and was wondering how they compare with the older Klipsch speakers.

The Lascala and Cornwall are probably out of the question I doubt his wife will allow such mosters in the house...lol She would probably be happiest with the more modern looking RF-7's, but they are a bit more than I think he is looking to spend, and they require serious amplification. I think the Forte's could get by with a less amplification I dont think they are as dificult a load as the RF-7's.??

Forte/Chours/RF-7 all fine speakers all sound great. I think you are right about Forte/Chorus needing a little less amplification, but RF-7s are still pretty efficient aren't they? I think the price is a huge difference Forte/Chorus wins hands down.

I see you are in NY. Not close, but if you find yourself and your friend in the Baltimore area for what ever reason I have a pair of Forte II and Chours that you could test drive. Bring along your RF-7s if you really want to compare. I am within 10 miles of I-95, Maryland exit 80 if you are looking at a map.

To me, the RF7's are superb sounding speakers.......but........they do not sound like the other speakers mentioned. KLF, Chorus, Cornwall, Forte's have a unique horn sound that isn't shared with the 7's. There is a "Heritage" sound that a Klipschorn possess' that the other models fall in line close to. IMO, the 7's sound clean but the Heritage sound "live". Hope that made sense.

I've owned the Cornwalls and now use a Forte II. Spend time listening 50% Jazz, and 50% everything else include R & R.

This may sound VERY strange ... but what is the era of your R & R CD collection?

If much of it is comprised of CDs mastered in the 1980s, forget it, the

Corrnalls are going to make you cry (in a bad way). Forte may be better.

The Cornwalls are punchier and sound bigger (which is good) to my ears

than the current Forte IIs. On good source material, they are great.

But... there is so much R & R poorly recorded/mastered in the early

days of the CD back in the '80s whereby the Cornwalls willmake them

sound painful. The Forte II, with the smoother Trachorn may make them

sound a bit more bearable.

In a convoluded way, I'm just saying what many have said before, the

Cornwalls have a forward sound and very revealing, and there are

unfortunately, many very bad sounding R & R CDs dating from the 80s.

Hey Frzn..

I used to own that same amp paired with the DBX CX3 preamp driving my original Forte's. I liked that sound of that amp, but without even driving it very hard the amp just gave out. I tried having it repaired, but to no avail. I eventually sold it to a pawn shop for peanuts. I had that DBX Range expander too...

Whatever happened to that company...are they still around?

Hey Frzn..

I used to own that same amp

paired with the DBX CX3 preamp driving my original Forte's.

I liked that sound of that amp, but without even driving it very hard

the amp just gave out. I tried having it repaired, but to no

avail. I eventually sold it to a pawn shop for

peanuts. I had that DBX Range expander too...

Whatever happened to that company...are they still around?

They've gone back to just being a pro audio company. - http://www.dbxpro.com/

• 8 years later...