Sin City

theryugobuddy

Wow--

I rented this from Netflix not expecting much and its a stunner. You've never seen anything like this--all stark shiny black and white with some color beautifully used for effect. Violent as heck. Even the blood looks wierd. And many of the things the characters do to each other is a surprise--alot of mean people in this movie. Alot of stars and effects too.

The middle third of the movie with Mickey Rourke is just electric. He takes --and gives-- incredible punishment to brutal effect. Its great to see Mickey make this street thug so human, yet so menacing.

The movie is made of three somewhat interrelated heroes/antitheroes doing their best and worst to make it in the immoral Sin City. Its based on a serial comic, and looks incredibly real yet fantastic and and big like a comic book. Apparently Robert Rodriguez the director did everything he could to get Larry Miller the Sin City creator to work with him.

Bruce Willis with an x-shaped scar is a bit much--but this is a wild ride--

Darn it--after posting, I'd seen that this movie was mentioned three weeks ago. Oh well--

I'd agree that Mickey steals the show--to the effect that the rest of the plotlines drag a little. But i was so fascinated by the look and feel of this movie--its a keeper==

I just watched it a few days ago and was so impressed with this movie! I thought it was great!! Yes, it is unique and certainly not for everyone (my wife hated it, couln't make it past a few of the more gruesome parts.)

Anyway, if you don't mind a little gore, I would say this is a keeper and a half!

D

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched it on my HT. Good sound, excellent use of Black and White with some limited color.

My wife couldn't make it through it.. I had to stop it and then watch it when she wasn't around.. which was cool as I got to crank up the sound louder then anyway.. but it isn't an easy movie to watch for people that aren't comfortable with a lot of violence and blood.

Hot chicks.

What I enjoyed the most, (after the hot chicks) was the cars. Great cars! Loved the Caddy and the T-bird and the super nice 57 Chevy Nomad, I think there was a Ferrari in there too.

I like the Gotham like Sin City, super fantasitic merge of fantasy and reality that this movie brings to the audience.

The heroes are somewhat disconnected from each other and the plot seems to be a bit vague at times but it all comes back together at the end.

YMMV and I don't use any mind altering chemicals, but I can imagine that might have some wild effects on viewers.

Turn the lights down and the audio dial up and sit back and enjoy a wild ride.