NAD 5330 - good cdp for a beginner?

ranjith

RANJITH,

Here is the spec sheet on this unit. It is vintage 1987! But for only

50.00 you Should be alright. Will you have the ability to test it before you buy? Good Luck.

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_5330.pdf

I bought the Panasonic S 29 DVD/CD player. It is a simple, fun unit to use. It produces good

sound (to me)............ only 78.00

Get something a little newer.

I agree with that, not saying that player doesn't perform well, i have no idea. How much do want to spend though. That player is 18 years old. U can buy amps that old, but a cd player isn't something u usually want to buy used especially that old. A cd player in two channel is very important and most people might think differently that speakers are most important. If u think about it, if certain information isn't picked up from a cd then that information is lost forever. The rcd-1072, i recommend to get u started because it compare to models costing 10 times as much. It depends on ur budget though. It costs $700. The rcd-02 should work to.

Its been a slow realization that it takes time , lots of researching and tons of searching to put together a good 2-channel system... and that I have to begin at some point, as opposed to wanting equipment that are out of my reach. I take the advice on the cd-player and email the seller telling him I'm not interested in the old nad cdp. I'll now just be patient till I find another good deal, if only we all had a million dollars! this new hobby of mine is far more addictive, expensive and an absolute thrill than I thought it would be, :P good to be caught up in this 2-channel mania.

if only we all had a million dollars!

What a hyperbole.

this new hobby of mine is far more addictive, expensive and an absolute thrill than I thought it would be, :P good to be caught up in this 2-channel mania.

What exactly is ur budget. U don't list what u have now, so what do u have now? Yes it can get expensive but know ur limits. I save up my money and then buy big, big not compared to people spending 7 grand on a cd player, but the difference is not much between what i have and that 7 g's, but it's buying big for me. It's fun to get into. U have to have a basis and i kind of started out small with cheap stuff and gradually have been getting better and better stuff. Right now for stereo i use my T753, Klipsch SF-1's, Klipsch RW-8 and Rotel RCD-1072. A couple years ago for stereo i was using a panasonic receiver, cheap klh sattelites, klh subwoofer, and panasonic dvd player. My cd player is my most recent upgrade. I kind of did the home theater thing first with getting the sf-1's, SC-1, rw-8, rs-25's, NAD T753, respectively from first to last purchase, and now the rotel cd player. Now i am starting to go to strictly 2 channel. The next thing is separates or integrated tube or ss. Not decided yet, but that's down the road, so i have plenty of time. My upgrades have been going on for about 3 years. I was only 15 when i started though. It sounds fantastic but it didn't cost MILLIONS.

I've only started putting together a beginner system the past month or so. I'm a 19yr old self-supporting univ student, so not much room in terms of finance for hobbies such as this. But, one of my roomate's dad had a Kenwood KA-4004 integrated amp that he had sitting around and gave it to me. I've also got another friend giving me his turntable thats been in his basement unused for awhile, don't know the details of the unit until i get it this weekend. I have a good contact whos giving me a pair of Kef iQ1 bookshelves, its a fairly new line from Kef and I like what I heard... and well, its cheap through him. But the Kef is only for the meantime while i save up for a pair of KG4s or better in the near future. So now all I need is a half-decent cdp, keeping my eyes on ebay and all classifieds I can find. Not a great system by any means, but not too shabby for a starter. Hopefully I'll get into bigger and better as time progresses, this forum is a great source for knowledge and reviews.

Ranjith

Do yourself a favor and spend a few more dollars and get something new. Redbook technology has gotten significantly better in the past few years, even budget players now are mostly better than the Hi-end players of 10 years ago.

What is the rest of your system like?? Are you starting from scratch? IF so check out the entry level NAD stuff. If you shop around you could find an NAD c320bee/521bee and maybe a pair of Forte's for around $1000. That would make an awesome entry level budget system for a beginner.

A cd player in two channel is very important and

most people might think differently that speakers are most important.

If u think about it, if certain information isn't picked up

from a cd then that information is lost forever. The rcd-1072, i

recommend to get u started because it compare to models costing 10

times as much. It depends on ur budget though. It costs $700. The

rcd-02 should work to.

Well, I recently purchased a Rotel RCD-02 to play CDs with instead of

my 5-year-old C$300 Pioneer DVD player (DV-333). The Rotel is

quieter than the DVD player. I feel that the Rotel resolves the

finer details better than the DVD player, such that I can still hear a

piano played softly at the same time as louder vocals and other

instruments, and I can still place it on the soundstage. But the

dynamics feel the same and so does the overall soundstage. The

differences were not earth-shattering nor night-and-day to me, like

changing loudspeakers, even between similar La Scala's and Klipschorns,

or even like updating the caps in my crossovers.

I'm now convinced that a US$300 crossover upgrade will be much more beneficial than a $1000 CDP upgrade.

But that's only an opinion. Mine. It's no better than 33klfan's opinion.

• 4 years later...

Find one of the Cambridge CD closeouts/ discontinued models for around 325 that were 750 a few months back. Save your money- throwing 50 bucks down the tubes- at very least buy a newer DVD/ cd player- will sound better.

Or better still- hang out on audiogon- buy a used Jolida for about 550-600 and be done with it.