cheap foam

colterphoto1

ya got to get all this stuff so DR. who can do his stuff with you basement?

Actually I think the basement is a different project..."my stuff" is

going to be helping him wire up his house for sound in every room from a

few different sources. Running wire is always easier with two people

and it's a favor I can return for all the favors Colter has done for me.

As far as the basement goes...get the bloody thing setup first. [;)]

Give the system a good 2 weeks of solid listening to determine what

needs to be done. I don't claim to have golden ears, but it's not too

hard to determine which reflections are the annoying ones and even get

an idea which range its occuring in. I'm curious though, which wall is

going to be the front? You gonna have the workbenches behind you like

at malotky's place?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to describe, I'll have to draw it out. Right now I have weight bench, workout machine, and treadmill across from the mini HT setup directly across from it. (27" tv and RB5/RC7 system with 850 Yammie) Basement is concrete block so has some nasty reflections.

Eventually, everything will be moved around and finished walls constructed, so I can't fine tune it too much for now. Was thinking maybe some Lenrd type traps in the two main vertical corners- they could be removed and replaced on the finished walls. Possibly build some masonite panels with the foam glued to it for gobos or to hang on the wall, that way they could be removed and then repositioned when I get around to doing the HT project.

Right now my main HT is the all Cornwall setup upstairs, so this is a secondary, but full 5 channel system. When I finish it out I might move the main system downstairs. Have to consult with the Dr. Unfortunately, there is no 'decorator' in this household so I can stack Klipsch to the ceiling if I desire. So you guys with your WAF-just shut up, you have the better position in life, okay?

Michael

I'm not sure of the actual effectiveness of the idea, but I've always

wanted to get some pegboard (which is the same material as masonite)

and build the "curved masonite panels", cover the panel with a cloth

and then stuff the area behind the panel with Roxul. The idea being to

combine the diffusion with some absorbtion and make the panel much more

effective for bass trapping (which of course would require spanning

across a corner). The Roxul would also perform some damping on the

panels which like to resonate a bit.

If cheap and non-permanent is the requirements, along with " don't care what it looks like, as long as it works ", go buy 2 bundles of Roxul Rxl 40 in 4" thickness, and stand the entire bundle in each vertical corner.

Then you will have a 16" x 24" x 48" bass trap, one in each corner. I would then see if you can find 1/4" masonite ( hardboard ) sheets. Rip the sheet into a 2 foot wide strip, then take these into your basement.

The sheet should be 96-97 inches long, you can then wedge it between the floor and ceiling, causing it to bow in the center.

You can add some foam blade tiles to the mix in a few spots, for about $ 200 you should be able to buy: 2-3 bundles of insulation, a couple sheets of hardboard, and some foam.

Just as a FYI, I ordered some of the Foam Factory product. ( foam by mail ) My nephew, dystrakt and I are going to split a case of 54 4" thick 1 foot square wedges. They had a substitute of 2 tiles for the included adhesive, and 4 tiles instead of the corner blocks.

I will let you know when I get the product, looks like 2.5 weeks for delivery here in Canada.

Cost was $ 97 u.s after shipping, works out to about $ 120 canadian.

That was fast! I received confirmation of the order already !

Hello,
Your order & payment have been received, and submitted for processing. You should be receiving your order in about 2 - 3 weeks. We will email the tracking number when your order ships.

Sincerely,
Carlo
Foam Factory

I must say, really nice to deal with this company, just give them a call and they will fix you up.

First off, I am going to treat some of the first reflection points, and a little on the rear wall, behind the listening position.

May do some diffusors on the ceiling, above the listening postion. ( in front of beam )

Possibly just simple curved panels for the moment, possibly even build some 3d type diffusors in the future, in a random scattering pattern.

48 square feet of the 4" thick foam by mail wedge product is $ 69.99 u.s at the buy it now special price on e-bay. $69.99 u.s. = $81.89 cdn

I wonder why the ebay site is only $69 for 54 sheets (if you delete the spray glue and corner blocks), and the company direct web site is like $91 for 48 ft2 of the same 4" thick material. It's even more for any colors about $102.

Wouldn't you think that with the ebay sales commission, they could charge less to buy directly from the factory??

I'd like to get the 4" in a color other than grey, that way we could swap a few tiles and mix and match!

Michael C.

I called their #, and asked about that item # on e-bay, asking if I could purchase that without going through E-pay. ( have never bought anything there ) Carlos said that was fine, and aked me how many packages I wanted. ( as in how many 48 pack bundles )

I am assuming they will give you that special deal if you ask for it. $ 97 u.s. was the price I was quoted. AFAIK, the 15% is on top of that, I will know when the order gets here.

Formica, they did say Fed-up for delivery, not sure who their partner is here.

Colter, that would be cool, Burgundy is pretty easy on the eyes, if I do say so myself.

I actually also looked at the 5" foam wedges ( 12"x12" ) that are sold by Parts Express, to compare prices.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-895&raid=54&rak=300-895

Even at $ 7.45 each from Parts Express, that is a LOT more than the foam by mail stuff. Each tile works out to $ 1.30 u.s. each with the price that foam by mail charges in their "special".

Also, the flat rate shipping ( and vacuum packing ) to Canada saves a lot of headaches. I don't believe that P.E. would vacuum pack the foam, and there would be a lot more boxes, and more shipping $$ cost.

Called and talked to Carlo today. The FoambyMail and Foam Factory are the same company, just two diff marketing schemes.

They offer on the ebay Foam Factory site the wedges in charcoal, blue, or burgundy at the discounted price of $69 for 48 foot-square sheets. No other FoambyMail colors are available at this discounted price. Also, the deal where they delete the corner blocks and adhesive for 6 additional squares is good only on the charcoal. I figure I'll make up panels and cover with a light fabric. Carlo says that barely degrades the acoustical properties.

So I ordered a set of 54 4" charcoal like Michael Hurd did. I also got one set of the 'lernd' style corner bass traps which are also on special 4- 12x12x24 sections for $39. Or you can get 8 of the sections for $69.

Shipping charge was minimal and I was given 1 week delivery time from Michigan to Indiana UPS.

Michael

Todd, is that shortage of raw chemicals from the south affecting the entire foam industry that much? I know you said a couple weeks ago that you guys couldn't even make stuff and everything was back ordered. How long do think that situation will prevail before alternate sources pop up?

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Got my package of foam yesterday. Took about a week to get here. They sure shrink the daylights out of it for shipping. I had 54 squares of 4" and 4 of the Lenrd traps in a box about 3 cubic feet. Cut the plastic and stand back- it's a FOAM EXPLOSION!

For now, just put some of the wedges on the bookshelves in back of the main seating area, seems to help. This is really for the basement, so I'm thinking of glueing up panels on lightweight foamcore board that can be later mounted to the walls, but just hung for now. Will report more later.

The corner traps look just like the Lernd bass trap shapes. I think this company must be the manufacturer for other acoustical companies.

Michael