Test song with Bass

crazytubepower

"Best bass" - wow - a pretty broad request in this case - there are all sorts of examples of bass ranging from instruments such as Acoustic bass ( bowed & plucked), electric bass, contra sax, etc. etc. etc. to electronic sources.

Are you looking for pure low frequency sources, or those favoring a rich harmonic content. I fear that without a bit of qualtificaion the list is both too long and at the same time perhaps not what you are looking for!

Personally I like the acoustic bass as the harmonic content exposes many qualities that others do not...

But, it depends what you like or what you are interested in...

Several artists who use deep bass exceptionally well - in fact they use each instrument as a voice occupying a separate niche exceptionally well that you may not immediately think of are Sarah Mclachlan and Chris Isaak. And of course there is always Peter Gabriel...

And while there are plenty of excellent examples and scenes of low frequencies in various movies, I like Dark City for a pervasive use of deep base.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd suggest Brian Bromberg's CD "Wood."

This is a Jazz album and Bromberg plays both acoustic and electric

bass. Most of this CD, however is done on an 18th century Matteo

Guersam upright di Milano.

I'd also recommend any of the CD's put out by Ray Brown's group "Super

Bass." Especially their version of "Papa was a Rolling Stone."

No rap here...

James

Hearing Nightwish's Once CD played on a very well thought out system featuring 70's vintage Cornwalls is pretty much what started my quest for a sub to add to my Heresies. It is IMHO a Great CD for hearing the capabilities (or lack of) of the low end of your system.

Try the title track from "Voodoo" by the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet. It was recommended to me by a serious audiophile friend of mine who also happens to be a part time jazz critic for the Los Angeles Times. He's seen it used for demonstrations at various audio shows. Doc Edgar uses a variety of artists when demonstrating his Seismic sub. One is a famous gospel singer who's voice goes incredibly low (I think it sounds like he's burping.), and another is Christian McBride's cd "Gettin' To It".

Regards,

Chris

As opposed to test "songs" I use test "artists" and "genres"

Some recommendations:

Late 80s and early 90s Miami Bass -- DJ Magic Mike and MC A.D.E. come to mind, old 2Live Crew can be thrown in that mix as well, if you can tolerate them. Make sure your house has a solid foundation and take the pictures off the wall.

There were a bunch of artists that used the Roland 808 keyboard to generate basslines for songs some have already been mentioned -- Kraftwerk. I have some CDs (were actually used in cars to show off 'bass') that are collections of songs/various artists of nasty low-end stuff. You may be able to find those kinds of discs at your local used music store in the dollar bin.

These are some of the things that have gotten me in trouble with my neighbors (even before I got my sub).

Hope this helps.

And I just remembered another artist I've been hearing on Sirius Satellite lately (on the breakbeats channel whichever one that is) : DJ Icey

He has some whacky bass -- One song sticks out in my mind "This is how my drummer drums" but everything I have heard of his the bass is the foundation for the song.

And its not rap.

And I just remembered another artist I've been hearing on Sirius Satellite lately (on the breakbeats channel whichever one that is) : DJ Icey

He has some whacky bass -- One song sticks out in my mind "This is how my drummer drums" but everything I have heard of his the bass is the foundation for the song.

And its not rap.

lol, DJ Icey doesn't usually dig very low at all...I can show you waterfalls for his music if you don't believe me [;)] But I must confess that I listen to that particular song (it's the last track on my "gumpy mix" for when I'm feeling goofy).

Speaking of the gumpy mix, the Mario Brothers theme remix by Aphex Twin has a very low note - one you'll never notice unless you have a system capable. It's gotta be right around 20Hz because I gotta crank it up pretty loud just to hear it. And the simplicity of the song makes it fun to crank without hurting your ears.

I've also got a german techno cd that some mixer in germany gave me...I don't know the names of any of the songs, but there's this one techno song that I really really love that digs way way deep (in fact the whole CD is that way). I'm not sure if there's any copyright issues with the cd...don't even know if the mixer dude was the one who made the cd or if it's a compliation of other artists. It's definetly the most artistic techno music I've heard...not repetitive at all, yet drives hard and is a blast to listen to.

dunno, wavelab lite came bundled with a software package that I got for free with my soundcard - I just stumbled upon the feature by hitting the wrong button when doing some wave edits [:D] There's gotta be something somewhere for free out there - it's not exactly a complicated thing to measure.