New system continues to improve!

boomac

The VRDs and the BAT VK-3ix are breaking in rather well and with Deans crossovers in the Cornwalls, the system is really performing.

Tonight I started out with Oliver Nelsons, Stolen Moments. Good Lord! The spit factor was as real to life as Ive ever experienced. The brightness that Gary, Allan and I noticed, when we first cranked the system up, has mellowed, the clarity is excellent and the base is much improved.

Next I tried an SACD of Greigs Peer Gynt featuring George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. I listened to an absolutely beautiful presentation of each instrument. No noticeable brightness. It was an absolutely wonderful and very realistic listening experience.

I figured it was time for a bright selection so I pulled out Joaquin Rodrigos Concierto de Aranjuez featuring Pepe Romero. This is a Phillips CD and it seems bright when played on any other system Ive had a chance to audition. That would include Bryston Separates, a BAT CD Player and B&W 701 Speakers. Well, it was still, what I would consider, a bit on the bright side but considerably less so than with the other systems. I actually had to crank it up, in a couple critical areas, to achieve the mildly irritating brightness that I believe is inherent in the CD.

Overall, and considering the Eastern Electric Mini Max is apt to be an improvement over the 222ES, I figure I now have a definite keeper.

I topped things off with some Brian Bromberg that I last heard on a system featuring $30K worth of Wilson Audio Speakers and Krell Separates. Of course that was several months ago but I truly think my new system would hold its own. Considering the difference in price, Im quite the happy audio camper. BTW, Bromberg is a fantastic bass player.

Finally, I figure a great deal of credit must go to Craig, of NosValves, Dean Wescott, Klipsch and Balanced Audio Technologies. Their products are a critical part of this equation and they all seem to be up to the task of reproducing music really, really good!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You've got some serious, well and carefully chosen stuff in there, and I'm not surprised at the excellence. The BAT looks like a very good choice, well-made, not outlandishly priced, and setting you up nicely for either MM or MC cartridge. BAT's designer appears to be a thoughtful Russian tube enthusiast. When is the TT's ETA?

I haven't found the Rodrigo recording to be that bright -- just very clear and beautiful. I'm a little surprised that the Szell/Cleveland isn't bright compared with the Rodrigo, I may have to look into that one.

Larry

I am with Larry on this one: recently I picked up the Rodrigo on vinyl

and 'clear and beautiful' are indeed very fitting

adjectives.

Well, perhaps things got screwed up when putting it on CD.

BTW: in its days the LP was often mentioned as reference in audio magazines (and now I know why [:D]).

Wolfram

$2500 is the base price. Remote & phono section are options. So far I'm really impressed with the preamp. The aesthetics and musicality are excellent and the ability to upgrade is an excellent feature. I've heard the BAT CD Player and Amps and believe the products to be first class audio gear. Pricy? Yeah, but the sound & build quality are definietly there.

Scott,

Isn't it fun when it all comes together.

What you said is so true about comparing your system to a $30k and it will hold it's own.

Just proves you don't have to spend a ton of money to enjoy the music. I have a pretty good idead what you spent and it was nowhere near $30k.

I also would like to thank Craig, Dean, Mark and Klipsch.

Enjoy it for years to come.

Danny

Craig, It looks like: FETs, Wima caps, op-amps and orange drops. I cast no dispersions on it BTW.

Rick

Man I feel silly........ I can't believe I never thought to look under phono sections. I kept looking the the preamp pages thinking they would have a link to the mating phono section.

Although not a tube phono stage I bet its very good.

Craig

Sounds like a sweet setup Boomac, the VK-P3 is Solid State only and I'm pretty sure Victor has not designed a plug and play valve phono card yet! I have a BAT VK-3i and VK-P5 valve phono stage which was/is one of the 2 stand alone valve phono stages they offer but an excellent unit I might add. I wish I could find someone in my area who owned the full blown SE VK-P10 so I could see just how much better it sounds than my VK-P5! You can pick the VK-P5 up on AudioGon from $800.00 to $1,200.00 just about any time. Good luck[:D]

Kaiser SET Say Thanks and Im looking forward to playing some vinyl through the VK-3ix. I guess my unit, with the VK-P3, just arrived so Im off to exchange the demo for the real thing.

BTW I like your call name. That was a great movie!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Get with the program Craig![;)]