Best type of capacitors for recapping Type A Xovers?

lynnm

Michael, somehow, I knew I'd be corrected. Okay, increase the number of samples. Still, your question is valid. Which is better? Let's let a statistically appropriate number of samples provide the answer instead of a handful of opinions that contain a hypothesis based upon KNOWN variable and when it varies. "I can tell you polypropylene sounds better" translates into "bla, bla, bla" when another proclaimed authority disputes it. So, rather than listen to them argue their points, I say let's use the public as a guinea pig.

$10.00 says no matter what the public says, at least one of the advocates on this thread will disagree with the testing methodology. [;)]

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BiggerisBetter,

The cans in the Cornwalls and Heresies fair better because they are inside the speaker. The 'problem' caps are typically found in the Klipschorn, LaScala, and Belle Klipsch. This info is from Bob who will confirm this. There are good reasons why this is the case.

Your Cornwalls came with Type B's, and 'thin and bright' is exactly what you get with low ESR capacitors and a first order filter when you start to unload some power into the speaker. You mention 'crossover changes', but don't tell us what you did. I'm sure any changes to the circuit will have a greater impact than a change in capacitor type. My opinion has always been that the best measuring capacitor may not be the best capacitor for a given circuit. I still very much like the sound of the Jensen PIO's in the Type A for example. In the Type AA I dig the Theta, which provides good detail without robbing all of the warmth from the sound. In the networks I sell I use a Dayton at the primary position -- not because I want to, but because I have to -- nobody wants to pay for what I prefer.

• 2 months later...

Pmsummer, reformed?

"Recovering" might be a better word. The sig is Dr. Luther's.

Paraphrasing someone smarter than me, I might be described as a

Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant,

Liberal/Conservative, Biblical,

Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist,

Anabaptist/Anglican, Lutheran/Methodist, Catholic, Incarnational,

Emergent, Unfinished CHRISTIAN whose patron saints would be Soren

Kierkegaard and Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

And Thou?

P Michael Summer

• 11 months later...

Hello eveyone. Just wanted to let you know that the new caps for my aging 'A' xovers in my '68 K'Horns HAS ARRIVED from Bob C ! Can't wait to start work on these soon. I plan on taking photos of the before and after. I think they will look pretty sharp once the boards are cleaned up and refinished in our mill room at the organ shop [:)]

Thank you BOB! all caps arrived perfectly.

Regards,
Gary

PS. These are SONICAPS, a high quality capacitor I'm sure from Bob

It's nice to be reminded of our departed friend lynnm by this thread that he started. His civil, humorous and informed contributions to this great forum are missed.

Erland-

What's the status of your "Khorns;" any new photos? EDIT 02/12/2007 at 07:34 EST: I see some recent photos in your thread dedicated to the build project. I eagerly await more.

BEC-

Am I correct that your supply of NOS GE motor-run caps has been exhausted? If not, what remains? If so, what has taken their place on your preferred list?

Bob's now using the Sonicap (white case) film and foil cap. For the money, a very good cap - consistent, good quality, and pretty good sounding in projects I've heard them in (amps, not crossovers in my case). In some respects they might actually be better than the GE type cans for networks, I suppose depending on your sonic preferences......which is really what this is all about.

And since someone bumped this old thread, I suppose this would be a good time for a more "up to date" answer to the thread title: V-Cap oil in metallized polypropylene, for all of the simple (A/AA/B/E) Heritage networks. Out of multiple caps listened to (GE, Jensen, Auri/Hovland) the V-Caps were the hands down winner, offering the best in clarity, smoothness, detail, and transparency. Soooooooo "colorless", and just "wet" enough sounding to allow the music to flow and sound natural. A wonderful cap for those who prefer the simpler schematic networks. For horns, they are PERFECT. It is a difference that my new audio enthusiast "lab rat" friend in the neighborhood can appreciate - just loves them in his Cornwalls with VRDs and Peach - the look on his face when I got them in his system and listening was just priceless. If you ask him if these caps make a difference, he will give you an emphatic YES. And so will I!

Yes, Meagain, I did audition a set of Jensen AA networks - for a fairly extended period of time, too. Had I not ever been recommended the V-Cap by Dean and others who had heard the Jensens, I would have ordered the Jensens for my own AAs and would have never thought again about it. I was quite pleased with the Jensens - very musical with just a smidge of added warmth, yet with very good detail. Very good sounding networks.

The V-Capped networks I have are also AA. Those networks have a slight edge over the Jensens in detail and resolution, and in the respect that they are absolutely free of "color"....more "transparent". This gets into that "personal taste" thing.....I can see how the Jensens would be very desireable, especially if one has a tendency to perceive Heritage as a bit "bright". The Jensens add just that hint of warmth/creaminess, where the V-Caps don't.

I could see being happy with either........it's really more personal taste here than anything else. Both are very good in thier own way.

Now we are heading close to the more exlusive range...... There is a lot to "dig" out, if the rest of the system is able to cope with it. Sonicap Gen1 (the white one) are a very good cap. I am using the Black Sonicap Platinum in som other konfigurations. Far better, but also quite expenseve. At the far end, there is the Duelund handmade ones. If you got the money, and want to go there, I think you will be supprised.

I investigated, but a complete Akeng ES400/5800 with Duelund caps would have become just to expensive. Maybe I litle by litle start putting them in.....

For now, I stick with the Solen, bypassed with the Vishay Rodenstein 1834 0.01uF like Tony Gee recomend...

• 1 month later...

I cant believe I missed the revival of this thread a few weeks back (stumbled across again it while "searching" the forums for more TD-124 data)

lynnm was the reason I joined this forum, and the reason I rekindled my lust for Heritage excellence after a 20 year hiatus. He lived (and believe me he DID live LARGE) about 20 minutes from me. I miss him.

• 4 years later...