RW-8 vs. IFI sub...to those in the know...

kramskoi

does the IFI sub approach the distortion characteristics of the RW-8? or its's max output (103dB) @ 30Hz? what is the real world difference between <2% (RW-8) and the "unofficial" <5% THD of the IFI (@ RMS power)? I just bought the promedia 2.1-THX a week ago but i'm growing increasingly irritated with it's port noise. The pro2.1 sounds capable with most material, but collapses with others. I did'nt realize that the sub is only rated 50watts RMS @ = 7% THD, 40 - 100 Hz. Needless to say, i'm looking for something cleaner, more accurate, and more intimidating. I much prefer tight, and precise low end extension rather than max SPL's. I'm reading "very" good things about the RW-8 and even more good things about the IFI sub. It's going to be one or the other of these because the RSW-10! is little more bit than i can chomp right now. I'm not thrilled with the A/B amplifier on the RW-8, but 125watts/rms @ <2%THD seems much more powerful than the pro2.1. It makes me wonder what the RMS power is for the pro2.1 @ the same distortion level. I would like the flexibility of a 2.1 satellite system but i'm prepared to go another way if the difference is appreciable. If the "unofficial" power numbers are correct, i can live with that, providing the IFI sub can get within range of the RW-8 in presence and sound quality.

The RW-8 is a step up from the iFi, but both the iFi and RW-8 are more like a flight of steps up from the 2.1 THX subwoofer. The iFi subwoofer has the least amount of port distortion of any multimedia subwoofer. Its got less than even the Ultra 5.1, so its a very nice subwoofer indeed. Its also a bit smoother, and has less harmonic distortion than the ultra 5.1 too. Its output is a tad lower, but its quality is as good as any subwoofer in its price range can be. Its very well designed and performs above expectations. Most people honestly discredit the iFi subwoofer when they first hear it. This occurs because the subwoofers volume is matched more appropriately with the system. In other words, most multimedia systems are bass heavy. The iFi is simply balanced. The subwoofer will be less fatiguing but far more dynamic. In other words, if your listening to a Logitech system, youll hear a lot of bass and thats about it, but with the iFi youll hear the right amount of bass with a few surprising dynamic moments when called upon which in the previous case, would have only lead to distortion. Of course you can crank up the iFi if you like, but you wont be able to distortion much at all.

So to answer your question, yes the iFi is a MUCH better subwoofer, but dont worry about RMS. that really doest tell you much about how a subwoofer sounds or even how loud it can be.

Here is my ifi next to my 2.1... big difference!

2.1_iFi.jpg