Four abused Lascalas need a good home - sold

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick said, They have the "AA" crossover networks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for that info.

Michael said, . . . they've still got me swinging around Dayton/Xenia/Portsmouth . . .

Michael, I could rendezvous with you near <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dayton on your return trip. That would save you seat time later. Would you have enough space for the Khorn and Advents with only a pair of La Scalas removed?

Since you probably wont see this until you return to Indy, Ill call your cell phone. Rick can also tell you about my suggestion.

Thanks. That means we're an hour apart. We'll plan to meet at Noon Central Standard Time (Chicago and Inidaina) which is 1:00 PM (13:00 hours/ Michigan/New York/Eastern Standard Time).

That means that I'll be even more hungry.

We'll touch base Sunday PM or Monday AM to confirm the time and location of the rendezvous.

Michael,

Thanks for the unforgettable day. It's now 9:50 PM EST; I've been back for 3.5 hours. Before I could post, I had to wrestle these monsters into the basement to check 'em out.

First I hooked 'em up as they arrived, with tweeters not connected and the mismatched woofers. They sounded much better powered by the H/K 730 than they did in the parking lot powered by my laptop. My 15-year-old son pointed to left one and said, Thats the one with the wrong woofer. He's either a budding audiophool or the beneficiary of the 50/50 odds; he was right.

I took out the dead K77s and put in a pair of T-35s (ceramics). In addition to the tweeters not playing, when they spray painted the cabinets, they painted the screens inside the K77s. The holes in the screens were filled with black paint. Then I opened the suspect cabinet, removed the 8 ohm Eminence Gamma and installed the 4 ohm K33.

As expected the sound was much improved.

Next (but not tonight) Ill remove the components, clean and repair the cabinets, clean and recap the networks and try to repair the Alnico K77s. I hope to have everything done by next Monday. Ill take before and after photos and post them.

Readers (and Michael) should not infer that I'm in any way disappointed with these; I'm thrilled. They're better than I expected. Look at the Subject of the thread. If that's not a dsiclaimer, then I'm a Boseophile. Michael warned me about the tweeters and the dirt. He even supplied a pair of new diaphragms. These are much better suited to the band's needs, not to mention a better deal, than a pair of Cornwalls I thought I bought. But that's another story.

How did the meatloaf treat you? Youre a braver man than I to order the meatloaf special at the beautiful Point Restaurant located in the heart of the Fort Wayne Truck Plaza.

Thanks again. I look forward to our next meeting.

post-8936-1381927439754_thumb.jpg

Edited by DizRotus

Mr. DizRotus- 6-1" of pure maniacal Chinchilla breeder and trombone entheusiast!

Nothing like a meatloaf and mashed taters at the 'greasy spoon' washed down with my fave beverage of choice:

DIET ROCK STAR !

[insert paid commercial here]

(in best slurred Ozzie Osbourne voice) 'Hello A'm Ozzie Osbourne and when I'm on tour I drink Diet Rock Star!

Please to meet you sir, that's quite a speedy production schedule. Best wishes and give my best to the Kids!

Michael

Michael,

I'm still thrilled with the deal and the restoration is a labor of love, but are you familiar with the story of the stone soup? Notwithstanding any of what follows, Im very glad that you sold me the La Scalas for the band. They will be much better than the Cornwalls I sort of bought.

The second real K33E from Bob Crites is due to be delivered on Monday. It turns out that one cabinet had the 8 ohm Eminence (Gamma?) and the other cabinet had the speaker shown in the attached photo. It shows 6.6 ohms, i.e., its a nominal 8 ohm woofer. Bob said it doesn't look like a Klipsch item.

Bob was kind enough to cut me a deal on the second K33E and some barrier strips in exchange for the two non-Klipsch woofers and $. Thank you Bob.

The restoration is still on schedule for delivery on Monday. They'll not be pretty, but they'll work perfectly and they'll look much better than when received. I'll post some after pictures.

This is what the inside of your lungs would look like if you hung in a bar in Ohio for 30 years.

post-8936-13819275911912_thumb.jpg

Rear view of 2nd non-Kipsch woofer.

This woofer was held in by only two screws, only one of which was original and tight. One of the T-nuts was missing. The wiring to the woofer looked like it had been "repaired" by Stevie Wonder.

There's a lesson here. Go through any USED speaker to be certain of it's baseline condition.

post-8936-13819275912412_thumb.jpg

Hey Diz,

You really cleaned up the crossover network! It looks beyond hope in that first picture.

Everyone asked me if those speakers smelled like cigarette smoke. I didn't notice any........ Did you?

Good luck, Rick.

Rick,

Not really. I'm sure that some of the crud is smoke related, but they didn't smell. There were feathers up inside where the K-400 attached to the front board, but I didn't find any eggs.

Not only do they look much better (never to be seen from their perches in the band room) but the networks test fine. I've attached a before picture of the other network. As the photos show, the old caps had been leaking.

Thanks for your part in keeping these in circulation. As I work on them, I'm motivated by the knowledge that many hundreds of high school musicians will be able to hear lifelike music for years to come.

post-8936-13819275921426_thumb.jpg

Here is another photo of the progress. The cabinets now have more Bondo than an AMC Gremlin. Between the 1" holes in the top and sides (presumably where they were attached to the ceiling of the bar) and the delamination along the edges and corners, these would be a challenge to make ready for veneer.

Fortunately, veneer is not in the plans. I'll post the finished photos tomorrow. They'll look fine from their perches above the instrument lockers. With the refurbished networks and new K33E woofers, they should be awesome sounding. The delivery date has been moved back to Wednesday; that takes away some of the pressure.

post-8936-13819275960516_thumb.jpg