Klipsch Car Speakers

jtkinney

One of the front speakers in my Suburban died suddenly after only 12 years and 250k miles. I pulled the old one out so I could see what will fit in the hole, and rather than run off to the local car audio store, I decided to try using the Quintet's that were sitting in my garage. Obviously they don't fit, but I wedged up on the dash and used some Velcro tape to keep them there for now.

Even with the factory radio, they sound great and I want to leave them there, but I can't, since one rattles against the windshield on rough roads. Why doesn't Klipsch get into car audio? Granted there isn't much space to work with, but the Quintet's have about the same frontal area as what came out, so you would only lose the case volume and bass reflex port. I haven't gotten to the point of cutting them up, but the thought has crossed my mind.

Here is another market opportunity.

One of the front speakers in my Suburban died suddenly after only 12 years and 250k miles. I pulled the old one out so I could see what will fit in the hole, and rather than run off to the local car audio store, I decided to try using the Quintet's that were sitting in my garage. Obviously they don't fit, but I wedged up on the dash and used some Velcro tape to keep them there for now.

Even with the factory radio, they sound great and I want to leave them there, but I can't, since one rattles against the windshield on rough roads. Why doesn't Klipsch get into car audio? Granted there isn't much space to work with, but the Quintet's have about the same frontal area as what came out, so you would only lose the case volume and bass reflex port. I haven't gotten to the point of cutting them up, but the thought has crossed my mind.

Here is another market opportunity.

I guess, the only way you can put klipsch speakers, is to customize it into your car. [:)]

In my car audio competition days Image Dynamics made an assortment of horns for cars that were built and angled in such a way that mouting was not that tough.

They worked and worked very well, the imaging and clarity could easily best some of the top names out there like Dynaudio, Morel, MB Quart, Nakamichi, etc. They were very efficient and did sound incredible when properly setup.

I also had a friend in the late 70's that had 4 Heresy's in a full size Chevy van with the top of the line Alpine cassette deck coupled to Zapco Processors and amplifier's and I have never heard "The Wall" sound so amazing in a car. It would raise the hair on your arms with the outstanding detail and clarity, the bass while not super deep would hit you right in the chest. The cabin gain from being in the van was a big plus.

I've put Heresy and Forte woofers in vehicles (don't use the Forte woofer if it gets below freezing).

Hepner, the company that made the KG series tweeters, had some co-ax drivers with horns that sounded pretty good.

Car stereo is a tough market, Klipsch chooses not to cater to it.