Poll: Still Buying DVDs versus renting/waiting for next gen

D-Rex

Wow, that's what I call a democratic poll.

Hey...Everyone gets to vote!![:o][:P][:P]

Especially since no one knows what this new standard will be! 720p, 1080i, 1080p, HDDVD, Blu Ray, Holographic storage...take your pick! And those are just the formats available as of 2006!

Besides, if the disk is of legacy material - who cares??????????????????

It makes no difference!

Well I for one do!

I have a HDTV card on my computer system for OTA broadcasts and PBS SoundStage has had some really good shows.

With PBS which broadcasts in 720P only DL DVD will fit one hour of program content.

What about 1080i like the OLYMPICS. Well around two hours at 1080i took 12.7 GB (13,728,391,168 bytes).

DTV content just won't fit on DVD with today's standards even DL. Love to have a few 25GB DVD's to put those shows on!

Still I don't wait. I buy DVD's when I see what I like.

If we go to higher quality in the future the old DVD's will make great coffee coasters.

Greg

Wow, that's what I call a democratic poll.

Hey...Everyone gets to vote!![:o][:P][:P]

Especially since no one knows what this new

standard will be! 720p, 1080i, 1080p, HDDVD, Blu Ray, Holographic

storage...take your pick! And those are just the formats available

as of 2006!

Besides, if the disk is of legacy material - who cares??????????????????

It makes no difference!

...and wait until the Windows gets ahold of the new formats and makes us all buy new players again to play the home recorded versions of these discs ...I can just see it now...

HDDVD+R, -R, +RW, -RW

Blue Ray +R, -R, +RW, -RW...it will just go on and on, and nothing will play everything and I'll have to buy a new audio rack to hold 8 different players to play all the different format's. It's a vast conspiracy to take all my money so I won't be able to buy new Klipsch speakers...not really, but it sure seems that way sometimes...

It's already hard enough to find a player that will play all of the standards.

Actually, "Standard" is a little oxymoronic in this instance, because they can't seem to agree on any standard.

I am betting that plain old DVD will be a long time in fading into the background. It already has a firmer grasp than VHS ever did, and it just keeps growing.

The only other DVD I will buy is Star Wars Episode III since I already

have all the other episodes. The rest would be rents only for now. I'm

waiting for the next gen and would probably be supporting both formats.

PS3 supports blu-ray and I will definitely get a unit. Microsoft

supports HD-DVD and I hope XBOX360 will support this one too because

I'll also be getting this unit. :)

Well, I think I got enough answers even without a democratic poll [;)] so that I don't need to create another one.

I am still leaning towards the wait before I buy crowd but I will still buy where it seems to make sense. Even if I do buy, it will be years before the new technology (ies) is (are) adopted so even the old DVDs will still have a market. I just have alot of special collection DVDs that I was even contemplating selling on eBay but I will probably just keep them for now.

I would still like to have more input if others want to chime in...

D

It is confirmed that the Xbox 360 will not initially ship with an HD-DVD drive.

The BluRay drive will fly in under the radar on board the PS3, that is a factor to consider. The many playstation fans who were planning on a PS3 anyway now have nothing to lose by buying BluRay discs.