Adding a new sub

JerrySVT

the only way to add teh KSW-12, a great choice, is if you get a receiver with an amp. That would cost you about the same as just getting another 4.1 system or the 5.1. If you allready have the 4.1 system, i would get two Y adapters and get teh 5.1 system. you might even save some money. what that would give you is like a 9.2 but really just a 5.1 (5 distinct channels and then 1 LFE, even though you have 9 powered speakers and two sub). You could have some tight *** positioning if you did that and setup would be much more simple. I want to get a 4.1 + 5.1 system in my room, already ordered the 5.1's in exchange for my v2.400's, what i will do is get some old v2.400's or 4.1's for about $150 and add it to my setup, will kick majoy booty!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free: 1-888-554-5665

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

quote:

The KSW-12 powered subwoofer uses a sturdy Klipsch bass woofer and Santoprene® rubber surround driven by a 440-watt, high-efficiency amplifier to fill your room with the ultra-force low frequency energy that breathes life into music and movies. The enhanced-performance, down-firing design and sonically tuned port enclosure contribute to the powerful, yet precisely accurate high output, delivering bass so low and strong that you feel it even if your human ears cant hear it.

Yes, it does have an amp, but you will still need a receiver that will cost you around $200 for a decent one. adn besides, this sub is the cost plus shipping and tax and then some of a complete 5.1 system and would over power your 4.1's. you would start to say that klipsch does not have ENOUGH treble cause the bass would be taking over.

You could spend $700 for more bass or spend around $400 and get more bass, more treble and more midrange, that is the route i would go. I would bet you would never regret going that route either. Give me and update once you make your decision.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free: 1-888-554-5665

Yes, that would work. SONY sound products in the HT line are notorious for having pink noise, that should not be too aparent if you are using only a sub.

To hook it up you will need to get two Y adapters from radio shack and plug them into the sound card, go from each y adapter to teh Pros and then the other two will go to the receiver, you will then need to turn the two mini stereo's into 4 rca 1/4's. this will go into the back of teh receiver. then you will plug in your sub into the back of the receiver, should have a placed marked for it. if you can, plug it into an unamplified channel, this might not be possible since only high end receivers have nonamplified channels, though it is possible for this one to have one. This will insure you do not blow your sub, just a little way to help, but if there is no unamplified channel you will just have to keep the receiver volume a little low.

If you do all this you will be able to control the volume of the 4.1's and the KSW-12 from the computer.

You will need to buy 4 things from radio shack, two fo these http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=274%2D879

and two fo these http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=42%2D2483

Now, the reason i say that you should get all four channels from teh sound crd to teh receiver is just so that you get the best sound you can. You could get by by getting just one of each of teh above or by even just plugging the second product listed into the 5th channel, the center/sub channel of your sound card (if you have a 5.1 sound card) and connect it to your receiver. you could do that and it would work but you would have to configure your computer to do 5.1 and that might mess up playing dvd's, you will just have to try both ways and decide which way works best.

Now, I feel i must say this, you would be the envy of all here on this BB if you did what i first recommended (i think i said this first...) by buying a 5.1 and adding it to your system. You would buy two of these just like above http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=274%2D879 and then hook up both your 5.1's and 4.1's into your sound card, once again you would need a 5.1 sound card. We will just have to see what route you will go. once i get my 5.1's i am going to search for a 4.1 for MY 9.2 system.

Good luck.

------------------

-justin

I have a "PC" sound system with the Denon 3801 reciever,ATI 1505 power amp,Klipsch SB-3 and SB-2(rear)and Klipsch SC-1 center.The KSW12 and 15 cover the sub bass.

All I can say even the KSW12 should provide all the bass you will ever need on a "PC" sound system.

I use both the KSW12 and 15 just to have the extra output when I decide to push the volume knob to inasne "PC" levels!

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears