Hey, Gurus and Nerds! What soldering iron do you use?

fini

I'm fixin' to replace the cheap flea market pencil irons I now own with a variable-temperature station, and I'd like some opinions, good and bad, on what you guys are using. Initially, I'll be reviving (rebuilding) my Dynaco amps, who knows after that. It certainly won't get daily use, but I know a good tool makes the job easier and more pleasant, with better end results.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best soldering station I ever owned,by HAKKO. They have a wide range of high quality soldering statations. The HAKKO 936 is a great inexpensive station.

I have the HAKKO 938,great unit. With a HAKKO if the solder is not perfect you simply do not know how to solder properly.

If you don't mind spending the $$, want an iron that works well, will

last forever, and has parts available, look at the Weller WTCPT or

WESD51

Industrial Soldering Stations

These are the same irons our production and repair people use. Both are

temp controlled. The WTCPT uses different tips for temperature changes,

the WESD51 is a bit lower wattage but adjustable on the station with a

temperature display.

We don't work with much large stuff, but either of them have enough power to solder

heavy lugs and wiring like you see in tube equipment. In light use

one woud probably last you a lifetime.

--

Jim

I use a temperature controlled Weller at home with a couple of different tips depending upon what I'm working on.

For a decent inexpensive iron the digital station at R/S is actually pretty good. I use one at work to make cables and such. It holds its temperature well and heats up quick. The main annoyance with it is just on turning it on it takes a few seconds to scroll the heat up to the temperature desired.

For working on the Dynaco the tip it comes with is fine. If you ever get into fine pitch work (esp. anything SMT) the tip is too big and would need to be replaced with something smaller.

The other thing to consider is the solder you are going to use. Some flow much nicer then others. I usually use a very fine gauge Kester 44 that works well for most everything.

Shawn

You want to know a real shame.

I bought one on these for the kick of it since I had the 100W version for soldering the main ground to the chassis of vintage gear (important to get this grounded 100%) it takes a good 100 watts to heat the chassis.

The Philmore 40W

http://www.hndme.com/storetoolssoldertools.html

18-3200.jpg

This Iron has two diodes in the handle directly wired to the AC feeds? The problem with this Iron is it has a really long recovery time which sucks for a professional application. The big plus is the tips are dirt cheap and they simply do not wear out!! I solved this problem by using a modern Weller adjustable station that has the normal 2 prong AC outlet for plugging any iron into it. I then plug the AC plug from the station into a step up transformer to feed it 130vac which allows this Iron to heat up better and work really well. The darn tips only cost $2.65. I know this all seems like a extreme to go to but keep in mind I had everything on hand. IMHO Weller Irons are great but there tips are built to wear out prematurely and cost way to much especially when your iron is on for 10 to 12 hours a day because you get side tracked on this darn forum all the time[;)]

I may have to give the HAKKO brand a whirl. I own three Weller stations and my oldest one I like the best but tips are hard to find. When you compare the old Weller to the new versions there quality has really went south.

Craig

This site has that Hakko on sale for $78. http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/0460-0004 Looks like a nice unit. As are most of the Weller electronic stations. A few things to note--variable temperature is not very important for working on amplifiers or any tube gear really. You need 40W to 50W, and that is generally at close to full ON. Tips vary greatly in price and usefulness. A good tip that lasts 3 months or so, is a good investment. Think "sawblades" when buying tips. You'll never need a "pencil tip" so don't buy any. You need chisel tips in 1/16" and 1/8" width. Good luck there! md

Talk about knuckle heads....... right now there are a couple auctions on ebay for this Iron that are near $100 LOL !!

Craig

I've been soldering for many years, and also teach thru-hole and SMT soldering/rework in industry. I used to use Weller, but since they were bought out by the Cooper Group, their quality went 'down the toilet'. I also concur that Hakko is about the best for the money. I use the 936 ESD in my lab, as well as their SMT stations and desoldering stations at work. They are repairable, and just last and last.

Dave

I,ve got one of these from Radio Shack for $69.99. Getting tips for irons can be a PITA. With a Rat Shack in town, when I need one, I've got one. What good are $2.59 tips when the shipping is $5 and they take a week to come. It is different when you solder for a living and keep a quantity on hand.

64-2185.jpg

Rick

Fini:

Shawn said, "I use a temperature controlled Weller at home with a couple of different tips depending upon what I'm working on. "

This is the same Weller product I use. It's a little on the expensive side compared to some others, but has been very reliable. I also use a combination of tips, depending on what it is that I'm using, and also prefer working with fine solder for most work.

I think it's best to get an iron of lower rather than higher wattage for most types of connections. This enables very quick heating of the joint to get the connection made, without the possibility of damaging heat sensitive components. That can happen with a lower temp./wattage iron.

Erik

Shawn: Please see a PM.