Is Promedia 4.1 and Acoustic Edge all I need?

Bocaj

From the great bulk of reviews I've read the are unparalleled in quality, power, and value. I've thus decided I must have them. Word on the street is that the updated Promedia 4.1 are soon to be released (surely not soon enough). So I figure I should exercise patience and wait for the new and improved and highly sought commodity. I've also found that Philip's Acoustic Edge is the most compatible with the PM and has the best features. The QMSS sounds superior in emulating surround from a stereo source to that of SB Live. The card comes with a bundled with PowerDVD 3.0 and, from what I gather, can decode digital dolby and down-mix to a 4.1 system (I realize the Klipsch 4.1 uses a phantom center). I will be using my stereo/computer primarily for music. But if I've got such a kick arss system and little additional hardware is required, I'd like to get the full Dolby Digital surround system operational for DVD. I'm inquiring if there is anything additional I would need while I'm waiting for the new Pros (any inside info on a release date would be swell). Any feedback is appreciated.

Does winDVD have capabilities that powerDVD lacks? Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations on what DTS decoder would be best/cheapest, how well soft DVD players work, and if such software alternatives to hardware would preform well or heavily tax my system (550 mhz, 40 gb hardrive, 256 mb memory)? Is the Acoustic Edge really my best option?

1-no dts from soft

2-poerdvd and windvd are pretty equal, powerdvd has noticeably better sound though.

3-the acoustic edge is a very good choice, unless you play a lot of games, apparently eax doesn't work quite as well with the AE, but that's not confirmed.

4-go with soft decoder, your system is more than enough, depending on your videocard (i assume you have a pretty good one). soft decoder is way better than hardware. sounds much better and the image also seems to be better from my experience.

Thanks Seb,

Pardon me for being such a novice (I am, thus "newby" status),but I could use further clarification. The software/hardware provided with the Acoustic Edge does or doesn't provide DTS decoding? The powerDVD would, in your opinion, be sufficient to use as a soft-DVD player. Should I just forget about getting additional DTS decoding hardware (assuming the hardware/software with AE is insufficient), unless I experience less than smooth, well positioned audio/video. I wish some site provided info regarding the many issues involved with various speaker/sound card/DVD/surround decoding combinations. Then many of us "newbies" wouldn't waste so much space with previously asked questions. The best source I've found so far is 3dsoundsurge.com (any more recommended?). I just want to take full advantage these speakers once I get them (oh...what a glorious day that will be). I'd appreciate any further advice offered.

The software/hardware provided with the Acoustic Edge doesn't provide DTS decoding.

The powerDVD would, in "Seb's" opinion, be sufficient to use as a soft-DVD player.

1st of all, you need sound card (sounds like the EA is best for dvd's).

2nd you said you "must" have the pro's.

If i were you then i'd get that, try a few of your favorite flicks and if you're still not happy then start checking out dts decoders.

biggrin.gif just my op.