Rating thread....gone

Amy

Bruce,

You have to ask yourself first is this a even day or a odd day......

Well, yesterday was apparently a "get even" day. This is an odd day. I went and got those KHorns, brought 'em home and hooked 'em up. You know, while I was playing one of my favorite Santana CD's, I could swear I heard Carlos tapping twice. Is there something wrong with my new KHorns? Craig??? Tofu??? EdwinR??? I know, let's ask Tom. He'll say anything.

BTW, Craig, where's your new avatar?

What happened was that there was a serious discussion about loudspeaker technical issues including time-delay, tonality and dispersion. It became apparent that some people in the discussion were serious and others were simply trolling. Then another person came in with unusually viscious and slanderous personal attacks upon me, attacks unrelated to the discussion but related instead to ongoing personal hostility. In the thread this attacker expressed a desire to get even with me for an imagined slight.

The attacks were of such an unbalanced, reckless and slanderous nature that I threatened legal action both against the attacker and this forum. I wrote Klipsch management stating that while this is a freewheeling forum I thought the attacks had crossed the line into outright slander with harmful intent. The thread was pulled.

One expects a certain amount of trolling, abuse and chops-busting on a forum like this. However nobody has to stand for unwarrented abuse based on personal animosity or for outright slander. Such behavior could even threaten the existence of this forum as it is now. Knowing my own tendancy to get abusive I'd already decided to avoid the political discussions here and stick to hi-fi.

I admitted to Edwin that the LaScala has formidable virtues, however I did not say that I prefer or even like it anymore. Once I did like the speaker, no doubt.

Edwin----If you don't desist with these reckless personal attacks and slander you (and this forum) may face legal action.

I suggest you hold the discussion to loudspeakers or if about me to things that can be proven and not assertions about email proficiency.

Be warned.

Now I've heard that somewhere before.... [:^)]

Ah, now I remember! [;)]

I admitted to Edwin that the LaScala has formidable virtues, however I did not say that I prefer or even like it anymore. Once I did like the speaker, no doubt.

You're a cool dude, Tom. Don't ever leave the forum. That last thread was a lot of fun. [A]

Tom, I have to be honest -- considering how hard you've gone after Craig in the past, it seems odd that you would become so unglued as to actually threaten a lawsuit over some name-calling. I mean, it's not like you haven't done your share of leveling personal insults at people around here. "Blowhard"? Maybe Craig is just projecting a little? :)

Tom, I have to be honest -- considering how hard you've gone after Craig in the past, it seems odd that you would become so unglued as to actually threaten a lawsuit over some name-calling. I mean, it's not like you haven't done your share of leveling personal insults at people around here. "Blowhard"? Maybe Craig is just projecting a little? :)

Well said, Dean.

I wrote Klipsch management stating that while this is a freewheeling forum I thought the attacks had crossed the line into outright slander with harmful intent.

Dear Klipsch Management:

In my 35 years as a professional audiophile, I have never seemed to find a speaker that I consistently enjoy. That some of your members on this forum would suggest I enjoy a speaker when I don't is demonstrably the highest degree of intentional infliction of emotional distress, for which no semblance of toleration can be permitted.

Rather than turning this matter over to an attorney for legal action, I demand you remove all proof of my self-contradictions from this forum. Officially and for the record, Heresies WERE only the finest speaker in the world of their kind a year ago. Today, I maintain they are "an instrument of torture, Tomas de Torquemeda would have used these."

With Gravest Concerns,

Tomas Brennan de Torquemeda[:$]

DISCLAIMER: This is not a statement made by Tom Brennan. It is fictional and for entertainment purposes only.

LOL -- :)

Back on topic:

I don't think the delay issue is the Red Herring I thought it was a month or so ago, but I still think the issue is overstated. Also, to deal with it means triamping -- which can be rather expensive to implement if one wants to do it with gear of the same quality they're running now.

There are two fairly decent pairs of speakers in other parts of the house -- a set of rebuilt Original Advents and a set of A/D/S Sat7's. These speakers don't suffer from the "delay issue" of the horns, but neither pair has the authority, presence, dynamics, or articulation in the lower end that my Klipschorns do.

I take issue with those who say the bottom exhibits a "tubiness" to the sound -- mine don't have it.

My take on the LaScala's rather forward signature in comparison to the Klipschorn is similiar to Dana's and Tom's. 1) The lack of lower end extension tips the balance, 2) the speaker is lower and puts the horns right at ear level, 3) most have no grill cloth, which reduces the output of the top a bit and adds some diffusion. Like the Heresy, I think the LaScala sounds better with the top dropped down a few dB. However, the addtion of subwoofers remedy the problem as well by properly balancing the overall output.

Tom made a comment in the other thread that "Efficiency is raised at the expense of higher distortion". This seems contradictory to PK's insistance that "Distortion is inversely proportional to efficiency". PK of course was right, but only to a point. If he would have switched to a better horn, or reworked the early filters so the squawker's narrow throat wasn't being loaded up with more energy than it could handle -- he would have had much better sounding speakers. In other words, I agree with Tom. If you want these speakers to sound better than they do, you do what Al's been doing for years, and what Klipsch finally started doing: you cut the squawker's upper end response and sacrifice a bit of sensitivity to get a more balanced signature and smoother frequency response.

Two people threatening legal action in an open opinion forum. [H] You 2 channel guys crack me up. I missed the latter part of that thread, but found the first part an enjoyable read. I guess I'm glad I am a Reference fan--No RF-7 Vs. RF-35 arguments.[;)]

Now wait a minute my post was simply a joke. I would never do something that ridicules in a serious manner. I never laughed so hard in my life when that post was shot at me. Hey Judge Judy is calling again...... I better shut up.

Craig

LOL -- :)

My take on the LaScala's rather forward signature in comparison to the Klipschorn is similiar to Dana's and Tom's. 1) The lack of lower end extension tips the balance, 2) the speaker is lower and puts the horns right at ear level, 3) most have no grill cloth, which reduces the output of the top a bit and adds some diffusion. Like the Heresy, I think the LaScala sounds better with the top dropped down a few dB. However, the addtion of subwoofers remedy the problem as well by properly balancing the overall output.

Dean,

Now this assessment is reasonable and stated in a reasonable manner. But that isn't the case with the one of the people your stating you agree with. His assessment is the Lascala and Heresy are basically unlistenable, they ripp your forehead off and sound like a dentist drill along with other such nonsense. All this is said to bring out the very response that this person was given.

Craig

• Moderators

I thought I stated in the beginning of this post that personal attacks aren't tolerated? I'll need to see some real improvement here, or I'll have to start taking more action...which you all know I don't like to do.