1956 Khorn w/o drivers $150

DizRotus

A solid 1956 Khorn cabinet only is available in Metro-Detroit for $150, cash & carry. For $200, cash & carry, you can get the Khorn cabinet and miscellaneous Advent, JBL, Fisher and other speakers, plus a JVC receiver and some other audio stuff. The seller promised to send an email with a more thorough inventory. If he does, Ill post it.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Another forum member, travisc, started the thread: single Khorn cabinet audiogon . The cabinet that is the subject of that thread is featured at: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1134170345. The guts to a 1954 Khorn (essentially the same units that were removed from this cabinet) are available on eBay at: OLD KLIPSCH KLIPSCHORN UNIVERSITY STEPHENS SPEAKERS. This could be just the opportunity for someone trying to match an existing speaker of similar vintage.

I examined the cabinet today and took some photos. One is attached to this post and another is attached to the next post. In addition, there is a photo of the cabinet at the audiogon site and a photo of the build-sticker in the other thread. The cabinet appears to be solid. Its not fine furniture. It would take quite a bit of work and $ to turn it into furniture.

I originally considered getting it just for the bass bin, and Ive not totally ruled out that possibility. Nevertheless, if a Forum member wants this, Id be willing to collect it and keep it in my warehouse for a month or so until it could be collected. Im not willing to get involved in shipping these items.

Send an email if youre interested.

post-8936-13819273967014_thumb.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds intriguing. Might be a nice project speaker for a guy like me.

Do you have any idea what's involved in the Advent/JBL pile o stuff?

I'm about 5 hours from Detroit and have truck, so transport no problem, and I've not seen my buddy Picky for a while...

Michael

The promised email with inventory has not yet arrived. I was able to see several pairs of Advents, and several other speakers, including large floor standing Fisher speakers. I wasn't able to identify which were JBL. The JVC receiver did not look like much. In any case, it appeared to be worth $200 if you've got a way to collect and store the stuff.

If I get that inventory I'll post it.

If you would like to send an email to the seller, go to: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1134170345 where you can send a messgae.

Michael said, "I'm about 5 hours from Detroit and have truck, so transport no problem, and I've not seen my buddy Picky for a while..."

Michael, compared to driving to Florida for La Scalas, this is like a trip to the corner. Jump in your truck and come get this "pile o stuff" before it gets away. If you come to town, be sure to let me know, perhaps I could help you load.

Sounds like most of the Advents need refoamed woofers, but that's probably economically feasible. Unfortnately, he now has someone who is interested in the Khorn, but needs it shipped.

I told him, SOLD if he can sell the entire lot. Whatever you could do in terms of payment, pickup and storage would be very much appreciated. I can be up there by say Thanksgiving to clear out your garage and further mess up mine! LOL

Michael

Michael,

Check your email and give me a call. If you tell me to, I'll give him $200 for the lot and you can then reimburse me. I'll get them into a warehouse until you can collect them.

I didn't inspect anything but the Khorn, but for $200, you can't go wrong.

Edit 8AM EDT: I just realized that I missed your call last night. Call again this morning. Then I'll call Greg and make the arrangements.

Michael,

I picked up the “pile o stuff.” Most of it’s junk. Nevertheless, as I type this I’m listening to Dave Brubeck through the JVC JR-S301 receiver and the only functional pair of large Advents. I’d say that these alone and the Khorn cabinet are worth more than $200.

I wasn’t able to take pictures as I unloaded and tossed rejects, as the battery in my camera was dead. The Fisher speakers went immediately into the dumpster, as did two pairs of rough looking vinyl clad foamless small Advents. There are two pairs of walnut large Advents without drivers. They’re hoping for a last minute reprieve from the Governor, but they’re probably headed to the dumpster soon.

The cabinets of the large walnut advents are ok and could be made to look decent; the grill cloths are not so good. Personally, I can’t see investing the time or money in bringing them back to life.

If anyone wants them, they’re free to a good home…heck they’re free to any home. The Zenith Allegro (2-way 10” bass reflex with Piezo horn tweeter) and the plastic JBL satellite/sub system are sitting in the warehouse with a “FREE” sign on them. If you want either or both, let me know and I’ll put them away. The JVC JR-S301 is seriously ugly but works well. A guy selling one on eBay claims 60WPC. The large Advents are vinyl clad and in decent shape. They appear to be older than the walnut large Advent cabinets.

My hopes of moving the drivers from the vinyl large to the walnut large were dashed. The maximum diameter of the woofer in the vinyl is 12”; there is not 12” of space on the front board of the walnut. The large Advents sound like …. large Advents from the 70s, except they sound different under the influence of sobriety. The mid-bass is somewhat exaggerated and the highs are subdued. Remember the New England sound? I prefer the sound of my Radio Shack rear horn project speakers, which don’t compare to Cornwalls. I might let the high school use the receiver and the Advents until I get the La Scala system up and running. Again, if you want ANY of this now smaller “pile o Stuff” just say the word.

The Khorn cabinet could be resurrected as furniture, but not by me. I see it’s highest use as the bass bin only. For someone considering building a Khorn bass bin this would save them the trouble. It would be easy to make a new motor-board with the proper throat, add a new K-33 ($129.00) and you’ve got a Klipsch bass bin. Let me know if you want any of this stuff, including the Khorn, and I’ll bring the stuff with me when I collect the La Scalas. Photos of the vinyl large Advents and the JVC receiver are attached to this and subsequent posts.

Thanks for your assistance with the high school’s sound system.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for collecting that stuff. Are there one or two pairs of larger Advents in walnut? I'll take whatever is there in walnut for refurbishment. Please don't trash any driver baskets, I've got a good recone shop in town. I don't think there's anything else there I'm interested in.

Still thinking about that Khorn project just for kicks. It'd be one for the record books, being 1956 and all. Plus I've never owned one of those. I might do it.

Let's try to get together before the snow flies. Like you said, possibly meet midway for exchange for a pair of those black LS. Glad to help the HS band room with a pair of these, they'll make a great playback system for the kids. Nice to know they're going to a good home there.

Michael

Michael,

There are two (or three, it was late) pairs of large Advent walnut cabinets. None has drivers, i.e., none would benefit from re-coning. They're safely in the warehouse, and they're yours.

Only the two (or three) pairs of small Advents (all vinyl) have drivers. Do you want any or all of those? I can do a dumpster dive and get them back. The vinyl clad cabinets are a mess. It hardly seems worth the time and/or $ to bring them back to life.

As indicated in the above posts, the vinyl large Advents have drivers that are in excellent condition (they might have been refurbished and I don't think the grill cloth is original.

Naturally, you have right of first refusal on any and all of this stuff. I've already been contacted through the Forum by someone in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Boston who is interested in the '56 Khorn. The shipping to Beantown will probably be a deal breaker.

In case anyone has missed it, all of the stuff recently collected is available to any Forum member, subject to your right of first refusal. The Khorn is $150 and any combination of the rest is $50. Shipping is the responsibility of the buyer (not counting you Michael, I'll deliver whatever you want at the La Scala exchange). After I recoup the $50, anything that's left is free.

How close to Detroit will you be on your trip back to Indy from Ohio? Would it make sense to meet on or near the Ohio or Indiana Turnpikes?

The band director is excited about the La Scalas. I'll recap the X-overs, throw on a coat of black paint and expose another generation to the high volume and low distortion of efficient horn loaded Klipsch speakers.

FYI, I stopped into Almas Hi-Fi (local Klipsch dealer) yesterday to see if they had any Heritage for the band director to audition. The kid in there said that used Heritage never stay around long and that theyll order, but do not stock, new Heritage.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Bill,

Almas is nice, but it was nicer in the days (30 years ago) when the store was still in Birmingham and I could hear Khorns powered by McIntosh.

I lived in Terr Haute briefly in 1976 (?) in School House Apartments, not far from The Action Track. My brother and I saw our first dirt track sprint car race there. What a gas. As I, recall, Gary Bettenhausen won.

Neil, the trip to Ohio is the southern tip. I'll have to catch you on another day up north. Maybe meet around Ft. Wayne?

Grill cloth is cheap, woofer reconing relatively so. Unless they are smashed up, I could strip vinyl and reclad or paint those baby Advents. I'd guess if they are square and have some type of components left, why not hang on to all of em for me? Hate to see good boxes hit the dumpster- good garage speakers for some kid.

I'm still up in air on Khorn, will do some serious head scratching today.

Michael