Denon dvd-3910

capo72

Does anyone have any opinions on this monster. I'm in the market for a good DVD-A, SACD player, and this thing looks awesome. My dealer sells it for $1500 which is more than i'm looking to spend. I just want to know if it's worth it. There is a dealer selling B-stock on ePay for $899. I'm just a little hesitant investing that much in a DVD player with HD-DVD around the corner. Please tell me what you think.

Jeremy

Got one. Love it in every way! Build quality is really nice. Plays every format on the planet. I paid 1000 for mine new in box from a brick and morter store, not b-stock. Check the IndyKlipschFan thread a few weeks back in 2 channel lots of people talking about this player.

Here is a link to the AVS forum's 3910 Owners Thread. A lot of pages, but you could do a word search on that thread for specific questions. It is also a good source for firmware upgrades:

I own both the DVD-3910 and 2910. Unfortunately they are in 2 different systems and I haven't A/B'd them. If you don't have a receiver that has DenonLink for the single SACD/DVD-A then I feel the 2910 is more bang for your buck. The video circuitry is the same and even though the 3910 has better DAC's, I don't notice anything missing from High Rez music on my 2910. Don't get me wrong though--I like my 3910 and it has better bass management, but for most people the cost outweighs the benefit, IMHO.

I am very happy with the Denon 2910. Klipsch uses them, and seems happy! I took some advice off of this board, read the normal reviews, and internet chats, forums, and took the plunge.. Thanks TDK and others!!!

FYI and comparrison reasons I paid 650, plus tax, from a brick n mortar store here.. list, I think, is 699.? So not a steal.. but 49 dollars is 49 dollars saved right? As far as B stock.. you might be fine.. then again it might of had problems that will return again? Add a few scratches... who knows? If I am going to plunk down some hard earned cash on something this important, I want it new..and working right off..

The Denon 2910 in a nutshell is extreemly clean. It has outstanding audio and video specs. It will play discs even with little kids fingers without skipping... I use a DVI outs. (It also has component AND HDMI as well, find that on any unit out there...) For audio, I use the optical out for music. I understand to get SACD I need to use componant cables but I do not have any of those discs yet. Might have to hear what all the commotion is at some point.

It loads very fast, and I have none, nada, zero, complaints so far. Save your money IMO, enjoy more music and movies with your savings.. There is a cult following of people modifying things on these units.. (look at audiogon. Besides voiding the warranty.. I really wonder what they are seeking..(I am sure results on paper.. but geeze, come on guys.. buy a 650 or 1400 dollar DVD player and upgrade whatever for 3k more??? Are you never satisfied??? LOL) It is amazing with my Infocus.. Looks just like HDTV to me!!

Besides we have heard it for 2 years now but if we do officially go to a blue ray or whatever format better HD discs.. So save your money now, and get that player later... IF you can tell a difference. Seriously, I am just not so sure other than bragging rights, why you need a better DVD player than the Denon 2910. It upconverts discs to 1080i and looks fantastic!

IndyKlipschFan

...I would like to see your thoughts.. I was just was so blown away with the 2910. IMO, the savings in the 2910 vs the 3910 was like having an extra 750 for other purchases.. There is a lot of stuff you can get with an "extra" 750 dollars!

I agree.

After doing due diligence on research, I purchased the Denon DVD 3910 when it first came out. The 2910 wasn't on the market yet. I was blown away with the sound of DVD-A/SACD formats, played on the DVD 3910 (Redbook CD's are also supposed to sound better, but after experiencing multichannel, this Klipschster isn't going back[;)]). I then purchased a Mitsubishi Universal player ($180) and although worth the price, not in the same league as the Denon insofar as build quality and bass management.

I then needed a Universal player for my DLP and didn't want to spend the $$$$ on another 3910 and saw the DVD-2910 had the same video specs but didn't have the Burr Brown DAC's. Since this was going to be used mostly for video I went with the 2910. It has an INCREDIBLE picture and I enjoy listening to my multichannel media on the 2910. Bottom line--If I would have purchased the Denon DVD 2910 first, I would still have auditioned the DVD-3910, but probably taken it back (maybe).

That being said it's fun telling people that I have a Denon DVD-3910 and it is an EXCELLENT player. For People who purchase the Denon AVR 3805 and 5805 (or newer models that have Denonlink) I would opt for the 3910 over the 2910. [:)]