EXPERIENCED OPINIONS WANTED... La Scala versus Belle

Gilbert

I've heard both. Not A/B, though.

I don't think I could hear a difference, from my memory of what they sounded like.

Belle gives the looks of a genuinely beautiful piece of audio furninture. And the buyer pays for it, too.

LaScala, doesn't give up anything on sound. As you already know, on

paper it looks better. It's looks, though, are just what they are.

BTW, that pair on Ebay do look like very nice LaScalas.

I'd make the decision based on how they'd look in your room, how they'd

fit in your room, and whether the extra money for Belles is worth it to

you. Belles look one helluva lot better and are many hundreds of times

rarer. Soundwise, you'll have some people saying La Scalas are much

better but they are dreaming. There's not a dime's worth of difference

in the sound.

Bass and treble are very similar - no surprises there. My impression of both is the longer squawker horn makes the LaScala more agressive and forward sounding, with a smaller "sweet spot." The Belle is a bit more laid back and, at least to me, better sounding in a domestic environment. It's always seemed to me that the LaScala needs a bit of distance to sound its best.

I had LaScalas in my 12' x 13' x 10' office and was almost driven out by them. The Belles sound delightful in the same space.

Gilbert,

The La-Scala's looks very nice and they are from the first Owner !!

Ofcourse it is just a picture and you should see them for real.

I say go for it ! !

I think the La-Scala has a better sound over the Belle.

The midrange from the La-Scala is the K-400 .

Because of the bigger midrange horn , the La-Scala is more in balance.

Bennyboy

Bass and treble are very similar - no surprises there. My impression of both is the longer squawker horn makes the LaScala more agressive and forward sounding, with a smaller "sweet spot." The Belle is a bit more laid back and, at least to me, better sounding in a domestic environment. It's always seemed to me that the LaScala needs a bit of distance to sound its best.

I had LaScalas in my 12' x 13' x 10' office and was almost driven out by them. The Belles sound delightful in the same space.

Ditto , CaptnBob is right on the money ! When A/B ing between the Belles and the La Scalas many years ago at the local Klipsch dealer , I thought the exact same thing . And in the looks department there is no contest , especialy when you see them side by side .

Technically speaking, the bass horns are essentially the same, they have the same Fc, same overall mouth size, same throat, etc.

The difference of the bass horns are proportional and the splay angle of the mouth exits. Footprint being the foremost determiner.

The Belle is a better overall design for use in a domestic situation due to its proportions excluding the need for non-expanding columns which the LS requires. Technically, this difference should not be detectable between the two, all other things being equal.

The Belle, being generally "prettier" should be expected to have a higher resale value, I would think.

DM

Even with Cherry veneer, the La Scala II is no Belle Klipsch. The Belle

is still available new, while quantities last (I wonder how few that

is?) for $3000 each.

Last Belles at the factory?

http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/category1001/picture611737.aspx

I had always wanted Belles but didn't think I would be able to find

them. I posted a wanted ad on audiogon and had a reply within a week!

Drove 6 hours roundtrip totally worth the drive.

I agree the Belle has always been my favorite Klipsch.

the belles consistantly sell quite a bit higher than la-scala after a couple years folling the speakers i have found that belle generally brings 400.00 to 600.00 more than la-scala. i had both here in my listening room within the last year and in my opinion and everyone else that heard them the belle sounded better hands down, better bass, better imageing, and they didnt seem as bright with certain types music, lastly they are much better looking. Alas i sold both to end up with the mighty K-Horns (they of course sound better than either)

Joe

Ditto on the last post. I have boh LaScalas and Belles. The

LaScalas dig deeper on bass even though they should be the same.

The longer horn makes a difference also. Better imaging in my

opinion. No doubt, the Belles look lots better in the room.

LaScalas are rather ugly (obviously my opinion). If you have the

right space to sink them into, though like flanking a largish

sideboard, they turn out ok.

I have Belle's now and had LaScala's before them. As far as the sound i can not tell any difference. The main problem was the wife hated the LaScala's from the moment she laid eyes on them; and this was the main reason for selling them.

The Belle's are a different story, she helped unload them and as soon as they were in the house she was cleaning and polishing them.

She also has more space again for pictures of the grand daughter.

Wish i was in the sweet spot now listening to Clapton and King jamming.

Later Bill

Gilbert there is a real nice set of Bells here in flint at the klipsch dealer "Today's Audio" I think there asking $2500 for them but I know they will go down to $2000 for sure and maybe less. I swore I posted a thread about them earkleir in the week. If you call them ask for Red. He won't know me by name though. Mention that Steve Reynolds told you about them. He delivers large speakers and TV's for them.

Craig

Gilbert,

If you find yourself interested in LaScalas, let me know and I will send you some pics of mine. I just had them painted black and they look exceptional. They are 1977s with the AL-3 network. I removed the horns and woofer prior to painting and they aren't quite back together yet, but will be shortly. (The new woofers should be in next week). If I ever figure out how to upload pics, I'll post them on the forum.

David

Gilbert, ditto on just about all that. If it were me, I'd be looking for Belles, but be ready to take less expensive LaScalas in a nice wood grain. You can do a little modifying (grill-adding) in the bins to pretty-up the LaScalas. That supposes you're inclined to be a little bit of a handy-man with the speakers you buy.