FS: $25. JVC JR-S301; $25. large Advents.

DizRotus

With prompting from that enabler Michael Colter, I purchased a 1956 Khorn cabinet and the seller threw in a bunch of stuff. See "1956 Khorn...." in Updates & Modifcations forum.

Included was a JVC JR-S301 receiver as shown in the attached photo. Other than "It's Ugly!" what can anyone tell me about this?

EDIT: 10-29-2005 9:23 AM (EDT)

The unit is available for $25.00. Shipping from 48009 would be your responsibility. I will box it well and deliver it to the carrier of your choice at no charge, but the cost to ship is not included.

EDIT: 10-30-2005 7:54 AM (EST)

The large Advents are also available for $25. A description and photos are posted deeper in this thread.

Actually, that was the first Piece of audio equipment I ever owned. JVC made several in that series in the late 70s, early 80's (it was late 1980 when I purchased mine in the PX in Korea). The 301 was in the middle of the line, with the JR-S501 the top of the line offering in this series. The 301 was about 60wpc, if memory serves correct. They are somewhat unconventional looking (compared to the Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc) of that era and, as a result, don't command much attention on ebay. However, I have fond memories of it and if you decide to part with it, let me know.

Happy Listening,

Dave

Dave,

We dusted it for prints. Yours are all over it. Check your email.

Since Michael is on the wagon regarding new gear, it's yours for $25 plus shipping. I suggest Fed Ex Ground. I'll box it up and deliver it to Fed Ex (UPS or whatever), but the cost of shipment would be yours.

Send me an email or PM if you're interested.

Dave,

You have first rights to this receiver. If you want it sent to New New Orleans, let me know. If you've come out from under the ether of nostalgia, please let me know that too, so that it can be available to the next person.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It works great. The controls are without scratchiness, the equalizer seems to work. I didnt try the tuner or phono sections, but everything I tried works. It would benefit from a good cleaning, but who wouldnt?

The sound is a bit heavy in the mid-bass and muffled treble for my taste. I prefer the sound of my full range rear horn Radio Shack driven project speakers to the Advents, but neither can compare to Cornwalls.

Nevertheless, the Advents are nice speakers and would be just the thing for the right person in the right place. While I'm not in a hurry to unload them, I would like the proceeds to fund the pro bono work I've undertaken regarding two of the four abused La Scalas that Michael Colter just collected.

I have an earlier model JVC (1972), integrated, with 7 band EQ. The

thing is only 30 wpc, but weighs a ton. It is very well built. Those

later ones have way more fancy stuff on them that the Japanese seem to

like.

It has some issues, but I can't bear to part with it just yet. It was the first good piece of gear I bought.

Bruce

How does the JVC sound with klipsch? And does it have a low noise floor? I might be interested in upgrading my front mains amplification....

It sounds fine with Cornwalls. It's quieter than my Dyna SCA-35. The sound is comparable to my H/K 430. But let's not get too caught up in audiophool esoterica. It sounds like something that is worth much more than $25.00 plus shipping.

WOW the Advents are gorgeous,with real vinyl covering! WOW must outperform the new gear(as the saying goes...they do not make them like they used to)!!!

After the looking at the pics I understand your wife does not want you to keep them. [:P]

She doesn't want Cornwalls, La Scalas, you name it. Her dislike has nothing to do with performance or finish. It's more a matter of bulk.

I do not want them, because . . . . I don't want them. The Advents sound as good as they did when they were new, but they don't sound as good as my homemade speakers, Heresys or Cornwalls.

Correct me if I am wrong but the full range you use in your home made transmission line speakers uses a 4" full range sold at Radio Shack years ago.I have two identical drivers at home,they are very smooth sounding and open.

Youre correct about the Radio Shack drivers. They were generously given to me by Forum member, Klipschguy. Apparently Fostex made the speakers for Radio Shack, which sold them for about $5.00 each. The speakers have FE 103 printed on the magnets. They sound better than the other drivers (most more expensive) that I've tried in the enclosures.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The speaker is not a transmission line, but rather a rear horn made from plans prepared by Fostex. If youre interested you can read more about it at: Single Driver Rear Horn ExPeriments .