Very Interesting (and Informative) Article About Fred Klipsch Mentioned in the Klipsch Web Site

Hardhead

If you follow the links in the "News" section of the Klipsch home page you'll see referenced a cover story(!) in Smart Business magazine featuring Fred Klipsch, who, according to the Klipsch web page write-up, "was applauded for establishing the Klipsch brand as the one to go to for excellent sound." That's certainly sets me straight. I had foolishly and mistakenly thought that a reputation for excellent sound established by the founder and previous owner--who by the way remains nameless in the magazine article and is referred to only as "Freds 85-year-old second cousin"--was the reason Cousin Fred bought the company in the first place. Now I know who "The Legend in Sound" really is, and I appreciate the enlightenment.

Although it was not specifically mentioned by name, I was also interested in the magazine's opinion of the Heritage line and its contemporaries, "Remember the old stereo speakers that looked like wooden crates that you could barely lift?" and also Cousin Fred's self-revealing statement, "If we were still manufacturing large wood box speakers the size of the ones we bought in 1989, I suspect we wouldnt be in business today." Does Fred not know his company is still making the Heritage line of speakers, or does he just not want the rest of the world to know? The lack of advertising for Heritage speakers and the refusal of almost all dealers to carry an inventory of them makes some sense to me now.

The average consumer, which makes most of the Klipsch purchases doesn't

want a pair $5000 monster speakers, they want small speakers to match

their thin TVs. If Klipsch never made the Synergy line, I would gamble

that they would have been out of business thanks to Bose and JBL long

ago. Retailers know this too. You think retailers want to try to push a

product that isn't gonna sell in large numbers? Without Best Buy

carrying their speakers (which are the fastest selling speakers at the

HT dept. at my local BB) I would bet that Klipsch wouldn't be where it

is today. Companies have to give the majortity of the consumers what

they want if they wanna stay in business for the higher end consumers.

I own 2004 La Scalas and love the speakers but Hooting_monkey is right! If a company does not change their products to what the customer wants that company will go out of business, the customer is always right. Fred could have given the founder of the company more credit though.

Xman

Fred Klipsch is indeed the reason Klipsch is alive and thriving today. The innovative product lines developed since he purchased the company have allowed Klipsch to grow from a small backwater company in Hope Arkansas to the pre-emminent speaker manufacturer in the world all the while keeping the legemdary "Klipsch sound".

The fault in not mentioning PWK's name probabily lies with a twenty something journalist or editor who knows nothing about Klipsch's luminous founder.

The other's are correct, without Fred, the Klipsch name would be something we dinosaurs would revere but the company would surely have passed before it's founder. The fact that he allows the low volume Heritage line to survive, indeed introduce new products with the intrinsic costs of R&D is a glowing testimony to Fred Klipsch's integrity and respect for Paul W Klipsch.

Rick

There's truth in every post made in this thread.

It is undoubtedly true that Klipsch would not be in existence today if not for thier ability to follow the market. Paul Klipsch didn't create slim and small speakers (in fact, did the opposite), but Fred knew well enough that to get along, you GO along. This is especially true in an environment where selling substantial volume is important - it's tougher to make lots of $$$ per unit selling few units today than to make lots of units with smaller yet steady profit.....especially in a "big box store" driven market. We have gone from small store/big speakers to big store/small speakers in 20 years.

Klipsch not only competes at every price level they enter, they kick a$$ at every price point they operate in, at least in terms of performance. This is most impressive when you consider that they are still doing this "old school", to a degree, by sticking with established (and some new) dealer networks vs. internet and warehouse style sales where cheap is king. Even at BB, Klipsch is among the highest priced speakers sold there.

In another angle/example, SVSubwoofers. For a substantial period, they were the large portion of subwoofer sales amongst the big Heritage owners, because Klipsch didn't have subwoofers to make us Heritage heads happy. So what did Klipsch do, and not do? Well, they DID NOT attempt to quash/censor the fervor of SVS here so they could push Klipsch subs, they just went back to the drawing board and made better subs. That's how it SHOULD be done, but try this on other manufacturer websites and see how far you get.

I am also impressed with the computer speaker line. Klipsch had problems with some of the older stuff, but they went back to the drawing board and continued to produce better and better models. They never give up - you can never accuse this company of being lazy.

So in the above listed respects, I think Fred has done a very admirable job. The longer I spend time here, the more impressed I become with Klipsch's ability to remain competitive in the market. Yes, they have taken some steps that some here have issues with - but the fact is Klipsch is still here, building great speakers, and remaining viable as a company. That's better than Klipsch being out of business.

BUT............

It is the opinion of this forum member that Klipsch can do better with the New Heritage line. While it is true that the New Heritage release method has not yet been fully seen/realized yet, I think there is much that can be done to keep the "grand dames" of the Klipsch product line in the public eye.

First, every purchaser of any Klipsch product should get a small brochure with a pic and basic explanation of the Klipschorn. It is what made this company - every Klipsch buyer should know what it is.

Second, the product must BE SEEN. If people cannot touch it, see it, feel it, hear it - they will not sell much. I do realize the commitment and expense required to place these models in stores, but they should have these in SOME stores, even if only in a dozen or two dozen stores nationwide. Also, the Heritage should be prominently featured on the website (preferably on the main page), with a banner link to "demo the Klipschorn here" - which leads to a listing of stores who have the Klipschorn and other Heritage on display and ready for demo. People should be able to come to this website and get information on where to demo Heritage products, without fail.

It is also my opinion that Heresys should be available at every REFERENCE dealer. If the store is good enough to sell RF-7's, they should be selling the Heresy as well. Monied college kids would eat 'em up. That speaker is very accommodating, even in today's HT driven market, and gets those customers INTO HERITAGE. Sell these people six/seven at a time for KILLER HT. Then allow those Reference dealers to special order bigger Heritage for those who want to step up from the Heresy.

Why go through the hassle when the other models sell?

I think that the idea that "big speakers won't sell" is hogwash. True, they don't, and won't sell like they used to, but they WILL sell. I base this on a few basic facts.

1. The top 10% of US wage earners are doing very well in the current economy. The customers do exist for these and have the $$$ to spend.

2. These people live in much larger dwellings - many which have made for HT rooms. These customers have the space for large Heritage, now more than ever.

3. The idea that large, furniture grade speakers have fallen out of favor just doesn't hold true in my experience. I have sold/placed Heritage Klipsch into six local homes here, and ALL of them couples (so they pass WAF). Some spent 1K on speakers when they never would have done it otherwise....and these are just working class people on working class wages! They fell IN LOVE with those big old Cornwalls/Belles......and I know that others will too. They are not for everyone, but I believe there is a segment of the market who would buy these new - it is just a matter of reaching them.

4. THE PERFORMANCE. I would put the New Heritage models into the market at suggested prices and feel confident at thier ability to compete against other similar and higher priced speakers in the marketplace. Klipsch has nothing to fear when it comes to the price/performance ratio, because in this case, it's world class audio for much less than other "world class" companies charge. It's easy to sell 90% of the best (and many here would argue that it IS as good is as obtainable for the purpose) at 25-50% of the price of other high end speakers.

So while it is true that Fred's direction for the company did allow Klipsch to remain viable, I think Fred's opinion that big speakers won't sell is misguided. True, they won't sell as they used to, but they WILL sell. It is a matter of getting them out there to be seen - and heard.

While I agree Fred's business sense is laudable to my knowledge Fred has not designed a thing! He had nothing to do with the reputation of the speakers I purchased. I admire his direction of the company but face it Fred would be an obscure business exec if PWK had an heir. While I believe it is true the 20 something writer is likely the reason for the PWK omission Fred should have made certain it was mentioned in the article that he bought a world class audio company from a truely established legend in sound.

• Moderators

Actually, I'm the one who is confused. Why are so many people bashing us for the perceived lack of support for our Heritage line? Didn't we just spend time, money, research...? We didn't have to revamp the line. We could've left it as is. Or we could've simply let it go away.

Just because I made our valued forum members aware of the progress on this line doesn't mean we're not going to tell anyone else. Can't you guys deal with the fact that you've virtually been the first to know?

And when and how we tell others is in the hands of our very capable marketing department. And distribution is a complex issue left in the hands of our very knowledgeable sales department.

I'm not sure when Mr Klipsch did that interview, but news on the Heritage line has been very hush until recently.

Ugh. I'm getting really tired of defending this situation. Perhaps next time I won't say anything in advance.

Amy, I'm sure if all of us really consider the situation, we should feel honored that we were given the advance notice on the Heritage changes, and indeed the factory tour, that we were afforded. Most US companies wouldnt' think of allowing even the most valued of customers access to this type of information and I think I speak for all involved that we are greatful of the faith and trust placed in us.

If we are guilty of anything, please let it be said that we are just caring and concerned. We want this line to succeed as most all other Klipsch ventures have. Most of us surely do not have the marketing saavy to express truly educated guesses as to the Company's future success or failure in this particular venture.

I for one, will cease forthwith all comments regarding Klipsch's marketing efforts in the Heritage line. I do hope the engineering and testing efforts will not be for naught.

Michael

Actually Amy what Audible Nectar said about including a flier in ever Klipsch product sold sounds like a good idea. What would a double sided color page cost? A dime? On one side a story/promo/history of the Klipschorn where it all began. On the obverse, the range of other system options from Reference to THX, to Heritage. Yes that is many thousands of dollars when it all adds up but it will introduce many more customers to the world of Klipsch than giving away speakers to movie stars.

They could put the fliers in the boxes as they are packed in China. Who knows, maybe the executives there will order Klipschorns to play their favorite marching songs on. Then all their friends will want some, etc,etc,etc. They are a billion.plus.[;)]

Rick

One main problem I have with Klipsch Audio Technologies re the Heritage line isn't about reintroducing the Heritage line or telling forum members about it first. The main problem I have with K.A.T. is that over the last 15 years or so while promoting their "speakerettes" into an industry leader, they've let the Heritage line slide into almost total obscurity and near-oblivion. I would be willing to bet that at least half the salesmen working in stores authorized to sell the Klipsch line (and a large proportion of the store owners themselves) don't even know the Heritage line still exists or that Klipsch is making them again. They certainly don't act as if they do. K.A.T.'s lack of marketing and manufacturing support for the Heritage line has been going on for years, while the "time, money, research . . ." are fairly recent. Klipsch's very belated efforts to push the Heritage boulder back up the marketing hill can't undo the damage of letting it run downhill for so long. K.A.T. isn't being "bashed" for its recent efforts: the complaints stem from years and years of marketing neglect and the concern that the neglect will persist. A refusal to acknowledge that neglect is, to me, an indication that a large degree of it will continue.

The question isn't "Should forum members be the first to know?" The real question is "Who besides forum members will ever know?"

Why don't we adjourn for now and agree to revisit this issue in a year or so? After K.A.T.'s very capable marketing department has had a reasonable amount of time to reverse the current Heritage marketing trend, let's see if our local Klipsch dealers display any Heritage speakers or even have any Heritage in inventory, or if their salesmen can discuss the Heritage line intelligently or even know anything about it, or if any of our non-forum friends have ever seen or heard of Heritage speakers except from us. That's the real test.

Amy - whats with the attitude shift on that last post [:^)] ???

What we are saying is we LOVE the Heritage line, and want to see more

dealer support and more sales. Maybe I am not reading between the

lines (is the revamp of the Heritage line phase one of greater dealer

support?), but we are prodding the Heritage line to have sucess like

all the other lines have had.

At work, we have one brand of speakers (made in Europe, nice wood

cabinets) that we might sell one pair (of ~6 models displayed) a

MONTH. They are certainly not making any real money. If we

had Reference stuff, I can guarentee it would be devoured (as one brand

of American made speakers we have are, despite their price).

I have had a few customers, people in their 20's, 30's, 40's that have

wanted good speakers reguardless of size - people who listen to newer

music at loud volumes. I can assure you if I had some LaScala's

or the new Cornwall's, they would be sold at a rate that would make

them a good investment for everyone.

Amy-

You'll never please everybody. Don't try, and don't be disappointed when you don't.

Klipsch "Heritage" speakers (vintage or new) will never be mainstream in the sense that Bose, JBL, etc. are mainstream. I, for one, would be disappointed if they were. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The average Hummer lover would not appreciate the labor and expense involved in creating a Klipschorn. If his friends and neighbors don't know what it is, they won't be impressed; therefore, he doesn't want it. It has nothing to do with sound quality and everything to do with image. Audiophool snobs have NEVER liked Klipsch, and I don't want them to start.

VintageKlipschophiles should be grateful that Klipsch remains a viable business by selling a full range of current products and, therefore, remains in a position to support niche market products that have stood the test of time, but could probably not survive on their own.

The list of pretenders to the Klipsch legacy is long, but most have long ago disappeared. Try to get support for Speakerlab, Ohm, Fried, etc. The designs were not as fundamentally sound and neither were the companies. As long as people think that the laws of physics can be ignored or skirted, there will be "SOTA" speakers that burst on the scene only to flame out.

Fundamentally sound fifty-year-old designs will NEVER appeal to the intersection "bass" thumpers or status seekers.