Formerly URGENT! Michael Colter has found the way!

DizRotus

"One disappointment was some of the cabinet's condition. There was some plywood delamination that didn't show in the photos. Just the outer layer, but fairly substantial in places. This will require cutting away the spoiled wood and performing a little plastic surgery before painting or fibreglassing. The majority of the boxes are very sound, but on some of the backs and bottom edges there is a few inches of moisture damage. All can be repaired, but I wanted to be totally up front about this for the next purchasor."

Great rundown of events, Michael. I'm glad you and Steve made it home alright.

Sorry if the cabinets were worse than you expected, but I feel that I was "totally up front" to everyone about the history and condition of those speakers. I posted pictures of them, sent more to you through e-mail, and still had more if you wanted them. You and I discussed the "delamination" issue that was shown in one of the pictures, so that shouldn't have been a surprise. That problem looked like an easy repair (to me anyway) compared to the damaged corners, holes drilled through the sides and tops, screws in places they're not supposed to be, blown tweeters, black paint everywhere, etc., that was mentioned in my ad. Are you sure that couldn't be fixed with a little wood glue and a clamp?

As for "moisture damage"...... is that the same as "water damage"? I wish you had mentioned it when you were here. The speakers were hung from the ceiling in a bar about 15 miles from here for about 30(+-) years, during which time there's been no major floods and I don't believe the bar was ever on fire....at least not to the point where water was used to extinguish the flames. I had the bottoms off of all four cabinets, thoroughly inspected them inside and out and never saw the slightest hint of any water damage. If I had seen any, I would have told you, and eveyone else, all about it. At $200 for each speaker, there was no need for me to less than "totally up front" about anything.

Anyway, I'll hold on to your check until you've had a chance to inspect the speakers some more. You're free to bring them back if you'd like. Just let me know what you decide.

Later, Rick.

I didn't mean anything against you or your ad Rick. Sorry if you took it the 'totally up front' comment that way.

I was tired and just reported on the condition as I saw it. But you did call em UGLY in the ad, couldn't miss that!

I couldn't make the trip empty handed, just passing along info here. I have about $120 in gas alone for the 600 mile journey, let alone 12 hours of my time. Maybe it'd been a while since we first discussed the condition or I'd forgotten or dismissed it in my excitement over landing more BIG BOXES!

Regarding the moisture comment, I never said anything about flood or sitting in water, but in my woodworking experience, the only thing that can cause that type of delamination is moisture. (possibly heat over years from hanging near the ceiling? ) I suppose glue and clamps could make the repairs as good as bondo. I'll be pleased enough if two members can have the love of Klipsch enough to take these old guys and fix em up and let em sing once again. They'll definitely hold paint or maybe the rock and roll fibreglass gel coat treatment. The insides are solid, that's what really counts.

These are still the loudest speakers on the planet and the components alone are worth the asking price. K77 (three of which are alnico), real K55's, Those HORNS, and working Eminence woofers (although not K33's).

Michael

I've got a plan for these 4x LS cabinets today. Got this idiot neighbor who LOVES his leaf blower. Like he straps it on for 6-8 hours at a time and has to collect every leaf. Enjoys working outside on Sunday, MY quiet day.

Today when he revs er up about 10 am, I'm gonna back the truck down the driveway and unload that lineup o Klipsch Lascalas one by one at the end of my drive pointing right at him. Maybe he'll enjoy the veiled threat in that move.

Michael[8o|]

Nice read, guys! Glad you made it home OK, Michael. Really, YOU have a quiet day?? ;^) You oughta be able to smell Klipsch speakers in the air by now, so you can just go out driving around with your nose outside the window and probably find some!

Neil, you're a funny guy, man!

Michael said, " . . . K77 (three of which are alnico) . . ."

Michael,

If I get a choice, I'd like two with the alnico. If the tweeters dont work, and you dont want to replace the diaphragms, Ill take the speakers and the new diaphragms and make the repairs (plenty or practice from my Speakerlab SKhorns mobile DJ days). If it turns out that they dont need diaphragms, Ill return them (diaphragms) to you.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

In any case, if you pull the tweeters, dont bother to remount them. From your description, the cabinets will need a little work before theyre ready to be turned over to the high school band.

FYI, I have a pair of operational T-35s (ceramic magnets). I was going to use them as leaf blowers, but, theyre available if you can use them.

post-8936-13819274176444_thumb.jpg

I feel that leaf blowers should be outlawed. But then only outlaws would have leaf blowers.

They're noisy, smelly, pollute the atmosphere, noisy, only move the leaves into the neighbor's yard and , did I mention noisy?

Me too, they're a horrible machine. There are new ones that are like 64 db at the source (the level of normal conversation), versus the 100db for the 'professional' noise makers. Many counties in CA have outlawed them. See Noise Pollution Clearinghouse for info on this topic.

My neighbor uses a pro model without earplugs! 6 hours of that nonstop is definitely causing permanent hearing damage, so he's not to intelligent, despite being an attorney [insert attorney jokes here]. I've got a big box of styro peanuts for this guy for the day after he gets his yard 'spotless'.

And I moved back to the city for peace and quiet. You see my Amish neighbors in the country took up building buggies, with the aid of an unmuffled diesel motor. Let's face it, there's hardly any quiet left on this planet.....

Michael

Got inside em. They're really not so bad, sorry if I sounded like I was complaining last night RIck.

As expected, three alnico tweeters are down, but Rick included three brand spanky-new diaphrams. So I'll set up shop on those.

GOOD SURPRISE- the non K33 woofers are the killer looking, looks-like-right-out-of-the-box, Eminence Gamma woofers. I removed one from doghouse and no dust, spidey webs, nothing. It's my understanding that replacing the K22 with 12" Gamma in a Heresy cabinet might improve the low end. I wonder if the same might possibly be true with the Gamma in a LS? Got to run some hearing test at least to see if this might be the case. Could be onto something.

But the cabinets are solid, there's just a few spots of the delamination and they'll be easily repaired. Sorry again Rick, you did not misrepresent the speakers, I was just tired and had like 5 hours to imagine the worst last night. We all will come out okay on this and some Klipsch Heritage will be preserved.

Now I don't know if I want to sell em...... naw!

Michael