Speakerlab SKhorns in Michigan

DizRotus

These are available in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Pinconning, Michigan (about 3 hours north of Detroit on I-75) Speakerlab Corner Horns - Klipsch Look Alike . Perhaps Michael Colter would be willing to go get them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

They appear to be later versions than the 4 SKhorns (76) I once had. Instead of T-35 tweeters and aluminum mid-range horns, they appear to have plastic horn lenses.

Craig,

I'm not interested in owning them, but it might be worth your while to give them a look and listen. If you've never heard SKhorns you'd probably be surprised. Many who have heard both Klipschorns and Speakerlab SKhorns feel that SKhorns have better bass.

If I were closer I'd check them out. I'm curious about the drivers and horn lenses. An email to the seller has , as yet, gone unanswered.

The seller replied to my email and attached photos. One is attached to this post and two more are attached to subsequent posts.

He bought them used and does not know their age. They must be some of the last that Speakerlab made. I've never seen any without EV T-35 or 3500 tweeters.

post-8936-13819274195034_thumb.jpg

Hi All, these are the last of the Speakerlab components before they shut down. That is the best 350 horn they made.....very dead. The CD tweeter was absolute junk. It is the same diaphrame as the EV but the horn lenz nulled the sound. I actually rediaphramed mine thinking they were damaged, but they just did not work out. If they have the Speakerlab 1508 woofer, you'll need to replace them as they are junk as well. Cheers.

Hi All, these are the last of the Speakerlab components before they shut down. That is the best 350 horn they made.....very dead. The CD tweeter was absolute junk. It is the same diaphrame as the EV but the horn lenz nulled the sound. I actually rediaphramed mine thinking they were damaged, but they just did not work out. If they have the Speakerlab 1508 woofer, you'll need to replace them as they are junk as well. Cheers.

Did you have a pair similar to these? If so, when? When did Speakerlab die in its original incarnation?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I bought four 8 ohm SKhorns in 1976 to use in a mobile DJ business. They had aluminum 350 horns (Atlas drivers) and EV T-35 tweeters. In parallel, the 8 ohm loads were 4 ohms for the Dynaco ST-400, i.e., 300 WPC. My ears are still ringing. The bass was very good!

Im curious about your comment regarding the woofer. Why do you think the woofer was junk? As I recall they did not have foam surrounds. Do you feel that they were just junk period?

These still seem like an opportunity for someone to end up with "Khorns" on the cheap. If they dont sell for at least $850 (likely), the seller would probably entertain offers. New woofers would cost $129 each. Would it be possible to attach T-35 metal lenses to the existing magnet/diaphragm structures?

This is all academic, as I have neither the time, nor the space to consider such a project. Its all I can do to find the time to drive to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Ft.Wayne to meet with Curly Colter to collect 2 of the Four abused La Scalas . . . that will need work (more time) before they can be presented to the high school band for their practice room.

Hi Diz, I see we are neighbors. I had a pair of these as a step into the Khonr world. I ended up with a pair about five years ago for around $600.00 It would have cost me too much money to convert these to anything sounding like a true Khorn. As far as I could tell, you can not change the lenz on the tweet so buying new/used tweets was needed. When I said that the woof was junk, I was more refering to the use not the woofer. It was suppose to sound good in a sealed cab but did not perform nor matched well to the folded horn. Also, I did not mention that the crossover was true junk. Low level components all the way around. So if you are DIY, and build the AKE crossover for $350.00 (for 2), replaced the tweets with two Beyma CP25 for -/+ $300.00, and replaced the woofers with two K33 for $300.00 you would have getting on $2000.00 for the pair after the purchas price. I have seen many fine Khorns go for about that and the guy had actual Khorns.

Howdy neighbor!

I agree completely regarding the x-overs in Speakerlab SKHorns. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I sort of agree regarding using Speakerlab bass bins as a DIY starting point. Your math is correct, but, SK bass bins, plus Atlas squawker drivers and trachorns, plus K-33s, plus ALK clones, plus Beyma CP-25s, would result in a better sound than a stock Khorn, which might justify the cost differential.

Thanks for your kind offer regarding Seaholm's La Scalas. Do you want to ride to Ft. Wayne next Monday? You'd get to meet the inimitable Michael "Curly" Colter.

Hi Diz, I would really like to go but I teach that day here in Troy and teach that night online. Anything else I can do, please let me know. You are right about the price difference, they would turn out better than most khorns. I am building an Edgarhorn system now. Cheers.

Ah, Speakerlab! The bottom is a virtual copy of the Khorn. However, if it has the original Speakerlab 15" horn driver in it - GET IT! It will blow the K33E into the weeds, hands down (8 Ohms though). Keep the bottom, dump the top cabinet.

The "stock" crossover is pretty pathetic, though. So I would dump that.

The "stock" Atlas midrange and EV T-35 tweeters are good, too.

DM

• 1 year later...

I JUST got a pair of SpeakerLab SK's.

Mine have the metal horn with Atlas Driver, and a 2 lb magnet T 350 tweeter.

AGREE with you on the bass!

I sold some Klipschorns over a year ago.

These blow them away in imaging, smoothness, and especially bass.

No WONDER why PWK hated them so much, LOL

IMHO, SpeakerLab does not get much respect for some reason ?

Probably because they were way up in Seattle ?

Pat Snyder and Dave Grabner were engineers, and Grabner went on to make Bohlender Grabner Ribbons.

I really like my pair, here is some pictures of them.

post-10060-13819348741892_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering what is the correct size of the opening for the woofer in the Khorn? I refer to the opening where the woofer first fires at the start of the folded horn. I'd heard that there was variations on that size in the early SKHorns; that they weren't the correct size when compared to current models? I know that opening/port/whatever has a "proper name" but right now I can't remember what it is.

Thanks guys,

GaryO