Wharfedale Speakers??

Klipsch-daddy

Does anyone have any opions on these speakers. There are a great amount of these speakers selling on ubid. I am looking at the wharfedale mfm-7 rose 3 way. These are suspose to retail for over $1,000.00. I figure I can get a pair and shipped for under 150.00..?

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: KSB 3.1

CENTER: KSC-C1

REAR: Looking for some

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

Ahh...the english sound, I remember it well. The question is - have you actually heard these speakers? If not you may be in for something of a shock.

English sound is as different from Klipsch sound as it is possible to get (IMHO). THis is a laid back sound - designed for you to relax in front of the stereo as the music plays unobtrusively in the background. All of the "Live" performance aspects you get from Klipsch are missing unless you pump massive amounts of power in (do you have the amp for this?). I am not sure for this specific model but usually Wharfdale operate at something like 84db/watt. Your 3.1s are 94 db (from memory). That is a huge drop in loudness for the same number of watts.

Now in all honesty this comparison is done with a Klipsch bias. I used to love the English sound - I grew up with it. The converse argument would be that the English sound is a beautiful melodic sound as opposed to the in-your-face attack of Klipsch.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, but listen to em first!

I had a complete set of Wharfedale speakers I got from UBID for my home theater set up. At the time, I liked it and was proud of my system.

Then one day, I got a Klipsch 2.1 from UBID, just because I got it at a good deal. UBID lost and messed up the order, so I called them to just cancel it. They screwed up (as UBID so often does) and sent it to me anyways.

Boy, it was like lifting a blanket off my Wharfedales! (and even though the Klipsch 2.1 were arguably a lower end model that the Wharfedale Modus 1.6 towers I had.) The voices were so much better, the dynamics were amazing. It was a live sound. Thank God to UBID for screwing up that time! That's how this all started.

I then started scouring the local papers for older, bigger Klipsches. Got some Forte IIs from a garage sale and Cornwalls from an ad (both on the same day). Then some Choruses...and then... oh-oh, I feel like I'm talking to the crowd at my Speakers Anonymous meetings on Wednesday nights.

The people I sold my Wharfedales to enjoy them alot (and the price was very good, despite the ordeal at UBID - I think they've gotten better). But when they want to be really wowed, they come listen to my Klipsches. It's quite a difference.

I models I am looking at are the Wharfedale MFM-7 these are "suspose to be 91db". Another one I am looking at are the Modus 8 150w 3way. These are 90db. Thanks.

------------------

My HTS:

• 2 weeks later...

The Wharfedale MFM7's are the worst speakers that I have ever owned.

I bought a pair in Rosewood from UBID. I could not get rid of these speakers fast enough. I sold them for a 67% loss and was happy to get anything back for them

I replaced them with a apair of Klipsch RP5s. The RP5's are a powered tower speaker. These speakers are truely fantastic. I am very happy with my new Klipsch speakers.

Why are people posting about Wharfedale speakers on the Klipsch Forum.

I love my Klipsch speakers and am a Klipsch person for life.

IMO, the Wharfedales MFM7's are good for firewood, nothing else. Note: I do own a pair of Wharfedale Opal 100's. IMO, these are good speakers but still do not compare to the Klipsch speakers. If you want to buy Wharfedale speakers buy the Opal 100's.

Long Live Klipsch. These are great speakers.

Steve

This message has been edited by stvans on 10-14-2001 at 01:26 PM

STEVE,

WHAT DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR RP5'S? The only reason I was thinking about these speakers is because I could get a pair shipped for under 200.00.. I figured they could not sound worse than the ksb 3.1's i have. Sounds like I was wrong.

------------------

My HTS:

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeC:

I I got a Klipsch 2.1 from UBID, just because I got it at a good deal. UBID lost and messed up the order, so I called them to just cancel it. They screwed up (as UBID so often does) and sent it to me anyways.

Thank God to UBID for screwing up that time!

George I had a very similar experience with UBid. I ordered my Klipsch KLF-C7 center and about 2 weeks later they still listed it as "in warehouse". I called to find out WTF the problem was. They said they would ship it out ASAP and give me free shipping for the delay. I told them not to bother. Cancel the order. Supposedly it was cancelled but 3 days later it showed up at my door and I couldn't have been happier with it! Except for the fact that they charged me $44 for shipping!

UBid can be good and bad. Good prices ...Bad customer service. Ever try calling them in person? Minimum on hold time of 30 minutes.

------------------

Does anyone have the Olympus Camedia CD that I could borrow via the USPS?

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 10-15-2001 at 07:16 AM

I, too, experienced some of uBid's "growing pains" during the purchase of some Acurus amps and a couple of other things. After they promised one amp was cancelled, they sent it out anyway a week later. After I returned it, it took a month to get my credit back.

I suffered through several of the "customer service" waits on the phone, and I got nowhere there or from their email help. I finally looked up their corporate info on the net and left a voicemail for their president (Greg Jones), followed by an email to him. Amazingly, I got a return call the very next day and an immediate credit!

uBid.com's corporate number is (847) 860-5000. If you call during business hours, the admin staff will take direct you to call customer service. However, if you call after hours, they have a corporate directory and you can punch in the first four letters of JONES to be transferred directly to his phone. His email address is on the voicemail - if I remember correctly, it's gregj@ubid.com or something like that.

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

I paid approx. $700.00 for the RP5's including shipping charges. Great deal for Brand New Speakers.

I find it hard to believe that you can get these speakers for $200.00 including shipping.

I paid $289.00 each plus shipping from UBID. I have seen these speakers on UBID go for as much as $569.00 each plus shipping.

Great Speakers.

Steve

Well, Ross, that's the end of YOUR Ubid buying career!! (LOL) I think I hear the sound of your userid bits dropping in the delete bucket right now!!!

DD2

BTW, there's a review of some Wharfedale speakers in the current Sound & Vision. Haven't read it yet.

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 10-15-2001 at 06:31 PM

Stvans,

when I said I could get a pair for around 200.00 dollars I ment the Wharfedale not the Klipsch.. If I could get the rp5's for 200.00 each I would buy 2 pairs.

------------------

My HTS:

Yeah, Doug, I may experience the old uBid blackball now! Of course, that couldn't be much different than their normal customer service... Smile.gif

I've got no gripe with uBid - they provide a popular service and they're simply overloaded, it seems. But, their communication does stink and if there's a problem with your order you sure wouldn't want to hold your breath while awaiting an email reply (or sitting on the phone, either). I'll tell you, though, my voicemail to the Prez sure got a speedy response!

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

to :Klipsch-daddy

-----------------

I got my RP5's for $289 each plus shipping at UBID.

The way to get the best deal (I am not kidding) on UBID is to look for speaker auctions that end between 4 to 5 am EST. How many nuts stay up all night watching their UBID auctions. This is how I got the RP5's for $289 each.

If you can get a pair of these speakers for a reasonable price jump on it like ugly on an ape!!!

These Mothers Rock.

By the way $200 is $500 too much for the Wharfedale MFM7's. Unfortunately, I know from personal expereince. They suck you know what.

By the way lets stop talking about Wharfedale and only talk about Klipsch on this forum.

Steve

This message has been edited by stvans on 10-16-2001 at 07:32 PM

• 9 years later...

Ha, just picked up a set of Wharfedale's (30D I think) for cheap off CL.

I wanted to see just what all the hoopla was about. The ones I got are heavy for the size, apparently they have sand

in the back? The cabinets are fairly nice...

I can't wait to test them out, we'll see how they compare to the Heritage Klipsch.

FYI, I'm not your normal forum user. [6]

I specialize in pulling up old threads, but only when I have a timely pertinent post to contribute. I don't do it just to "do it". My main reason is to reduce the duplication of threads. Just look at all the bi-amping threads here. If only people would...

It's easy when using the search function on this site. [:P]

And back to the point of my post, I'll post some pics and such when I get the speakers out of the back of my Yukon. [8-|]

EDIT: sorry, I sounded kind of rude with this reply, it was not my intent.

Finally got these things out of the Yukon. They are a 2 way speaker, with~ get this, SAND inside, I think in bags on the back baffle. I'll be opening these up in a week or two, we'll see if the bags still hold sand.

IMO, they are a great looking retro speaker. The cabinets aren't in pristine shape, but still in good shape, and the cloth grills are too, except for one stain at the bottom of one. I really, really like the retro cloth.wharfedale D30wharfedale D30Wharfedale D30Wharfedale D30Wharfedale D30

How do they sound? Whew, pretty bad. They have an OK bottom end and the mids\highs sound muffled. Maybe because of the cloth? At any rate, they do have a decent projection to them, I think the imaging might be OK but it's hard to tell without much on the high end. They do have tone controls in the back, and they need to be cleaned so maybe that's part of the problem.

For $20, I'm intrigued. I'll open them up and see what kind of shape the drivers and crossovers are in. Hopefully, the sand is still in it's place! [8-|]

EDIT: Well crap, I forgot about this website and it's image size limit.

At any rate, here's the Kick Arse Close-up of the 50 year old cloth