RB-5s

pzannucci

Just a comment.

I have just purchased a pair of RB-5s. I find that they are very good for little speakers. Definite sleepers.

I have mine bi-amped and actively crossed at 250hz to a set of Focal 13" drivers. They seem to be able to rival some much larger and much more expensive speakers though a little short of the air associated with very high end tweeters.

I'm pushing the RB-5s with a Rogue 88 tube amp and the bass sections with 200Watt Adcom and they work out very nicely.

BTW, are the RB-5 IIs much better than the originals?

Thanks,

Peter Zannucci

The MK II version adds Monster Cable, new finish choices, logo on the motor board, new foam inside. It is an evolution of the model rather thank a total change.

Peter,

You're absolutely right! The RB-5's are, indeed, underappreciated gems. Until I found myself drawn back to the Heritage series, I loved my RB-5s. Happily, they're now giving one of my best friends great service in her home.

Last year, one of the Canadian audio mags did a "equipment list" issue and in the speaker section they only highlighted about 5 speakers with little sidebar articles. One of those was the RB-5 and they referred to them as "near monitor quality" and a great value (if my memory serves...).

Paired with a good sub, it's a great combo. Enjoy!

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

Pzannucci the RB-5's are sleepers,these still unknown to most monitors deliver the good when paired with the right amp(s).

I was surprised the forst time I heard them at the store.And at home the surprise continued,I can say Klipsch hit the nail with the RB-5's.

When used with proper amplification the sound is simply great.Real is the word

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Right now I have been playing.

After I sold my KLF-30s I had built a very nice set of homebuilt two-ways and was running them with the 555 on the bass section and the Rogue on the top end.

I decided to pick up the RB-5s and see if I wanted to replace my current H/T setup with 6 RB-5s. Once I got them I moved out the homebuilts with 24db electronic crossover and moved in the RB-5s for the fun of it.

I was surprised at the sound they could produce though I did put small felt pading on the left and right throat sides (defraction portion) of the horn. This cleared most of the rasp from the horn sound. I might have to go remove the felt since the speakers are breaking in now and see if it is now not needed.

I then decided to run them with the Focal drivers I had built into bass sections. They sound great with just my Marantz 63SE CD player (built in volume) driving the electronic crossover at 250hz directly.

Though they are not quite as airy as the Morel MDT-33's I have in my homebuilts, they still sound quite good, especially for the price.

If I could live without the bottom two octaves, they would be great by themselves but since I can't and the crossover cleans the bass out of the midrange, they really open up.

Peter Z.