RB25 vs RB35 Performance - To all - Please let me clarify and amplifiy my question

dd9293

I am replacing Polk Monitor 10's ( due to size not performance)

I promosed my wife that I would down size to bookshelf speakers

I started out looking at B&W 601 and 602 S3's - but while in show room I was able to listened to the klipsch RB35's side by side with the B&W 602 S3's

The difference was quite surprising - the RB35's were brighter and passed the Mid range and High with much more clarity - the 602's sounded muffeled in comparision

Which brings me to to my question over all performance and size

I have not been able to listen to the RB25 and RB35's side by side

I am trying to decide which speaker to purchase - the RB25 or RB35

How do they measure up to one another (size is important to my boss)

Do the 25's sound as good as the 35's - or is there a fundamental difference in responce when listening to them (other than volumn)

I will also be using a Boston Acoustic's 100 watt powered Subwoofer

My room size is 14 by 18 feet

dd9293

Had me going there with that snappy title, but I get the gist.

35 is bigger. That's easy. But to my ears fuller sound. As woofer and cabinet size diminish, LF rolloff increases, pretty dramatically in these smaller speakers. I've got 3's and 5's and much prefer the 5's for full range, 3's arent bad for smaller room, lesser volumes though. It's a darn good smooth sound for such a small cabinet.

If you've got a sub, don't worry, be happy, get whatever you can afford, and get balanced set for rear if you're doing HT.

Michael

I owned the RB-25's for a few years and had a lot-lot of listening hours on it.

The additional 'warmth' and 'fullness' attributed to the RB-35 is
really because it's 8" woofer digs lower into bass and pulls up the
warmth in the music.

Some factors you should think about. Like room size, if it's small the RB-25's should be just fine (smaller than 15x15). Also whether you'll be running a sub, if there's no sub i would stretch out for the RB-75 for the full detail/warmth package since it gives off the biggest sound and the deepest bass.

So my advice is simple, I would recommend running a sub w/ all but the 75 (they can handle musical bass just fine). Also you can save money by going RB-25 and getting a sub later for the bass extension, warmth, fullness you'll never touch w/ just solo RB-35's.

-Joe