Pioneer/Fukuin Vintage HT-3 horn + JBL LE5-2 Edgar midhorn

Yasnyi-Sokol

Hi, friends,

I am new to this forum.

Also I am new to horn speakers. But I like tube amplifiers, and have 2a3 amp which needs good speakers now.

I recently bought from ebay a pair of Vintage Pioneer/Fukuin HT-3 horn tweeters. They look beautiful, very well done, must be a real rock piece of japanese culture.

But I don't have any idea where they were used and about their specs. The only data I found is they are 16 ohm, Xover higher than 2.7 kHz. Fukuin is perhaps the old japanese name of Pioneer.

I found also the specs of similar PT-3 horns (looks very similar to these, the same size, and also made by Fukuin) It says 102 dB, 1.7-16 kHz, and used in Hamlin speakers.

What are Hamlin speakers? Can anyone point me please?

I was also excited by the paper of Edgar about JBL LE5 mid range horn.

What do You think about using these both units together (Edgar midrange + HT-3 as the tweeter)?

Any Your ideas are welcome and I will also be thankful for any information regarding HT-3 horns.

Sincerely,

Alex

PS This is their photo

68_1.JPG

Alex----Nice looking tweeters and I wouldn't be surprised if they had excellent sound, Pioneer made some fine drivers and the famous TADs are Pioneers.

I suppose they'd work well with the Edgars, why not? Why do you want to use the Edgars with the LE-5s rather than compression drivers? Do you plan to build the horns yourself?

What are your woofer plans?

Why Edgars? - I have now a speaker based on JBL L100 monitors. These are alniko JBL LE123 12" woofers (which I use in 100 liter sealed boxes instead of original small ported boxes), and LE5-2 at midrange. To work with tube amp I have to change the cross-over, as the original one by JBL has variable impedance and therefore is not good for SE tube amp. These horn tweeters were also bought to work on the top in that system (indeed I have got original paper tweeters from L100 too, and want to compare them with horns).

But after Edgar 's paper I was so impressed that started thinking on the complete horn system. Having LE5-2 means I can do the same midrange horn design.And this will be around 100-105 dB!

If somebody tells me how to use the drivers in better horn that would be great.

No ideas yet about the woofer. Edgar has described his bass horn but the size is too big.

What are typical bass solutions up to 500-500 Hz in the horn system? This must be a kind of question that every horn builder meets.

Anyway, I still hope to design something. I am working on 3D software modeling almost any of bass enclosure, perhaps I will try to simulate a front horn, maybe with same JBL LE123. This is it: http://members.fortunecity.com/winreal3d

Sincerely,

Alex

Alex---Lots of horn enthusiasts use direct radiating woofers in vented boxes up to the 500-800hz range, usually high efficiency 12s or 15s. This is a good approach that can give you fairly high efficiency and excellent bass and lower midrange in a smaller box than a folded horn. IMO the best drivers for such use are the Altec 416 15", the JBL Pro 2226 15" and the Altec 414 12".

Look at the various Altec and JBL speakers that use this approach in the catalogs and articles in the Lansing Heritage site at www.audioheritage.org

The Klipsch Cornwall also used this approach, one first used by the Lansing Iconic of the 1930s.