Take Cornwall Plunge? Objective opinions needed

kh,

thanks for the detailed info. At least now I would know where to look for tubes.

...and I thought I wouldn't consider yet another amp..., well, one day...Wink.gif -and the bank remains happy!

Wolfram

PS. I still haven't heard anything better than my MC-Khorn+ALK crossover combo.

This message has been edited by dubai2000 on 10-10-2001 at 05:15 PM

TBrennan Expounds: I think the most important thing is to use good horn speakers regardless of the type of amp. I've heard horns sound great with both SS and tubes, I never heard a cone-dome speaker rig I liked regardless of the amplifier used. I wouldn't enjoy listening to your Pro-Acs even if God himself built the amp. My best friend drives his tractrix-mod Cornwalls with a garage sale Yamaha receiver and the rig sounds great. I suppose this depends on what qualities in the music you're listening for; the unmatched dynamics and clarity of a good horn, it's "liveness", are present whatever kind of amp is used." f>s>

Well, TBrennan, I am not sure I agree with this totally; having played in numerous bands with "HE-MAN" Altec-Lansing /JBL horn rigs for the PA, I can tell you that when we hooked up ye olde Nakamichi tape deck to play whatever we deemed suitable between sets, the sound was LIVE and loud with amazing dynamics... It also had the subtlety and nuance of an F-16 fighter. They DID sound better with the tube amps of their day - drop the Crown or Phase Linear and insert and EICO, Scott, or Dynaco, and things did take a turn for the better. But Christ if I would be in love with this sound (via Solid State)while sitting in my living room.

Indeed, I have heard MANY a horn system that is shrill, with shouty, piercing highs, and nothing but dynamics and intensitiy. Almost all horns I have heard were helped with tubes, however.

I think you are a little bit over stating the equation with the ProAc comment. In fact, single ended amps give you much of that same immediacy and life-like quality that you purport to be only finding in horns. Add the fact that the properly placed ProAcs will throw a soundstage over 15 feet behind the speakers with amazing imaging is something to behold. Have you ever HEARD a SET amp? Havng a typical Denon, Yahmaha, or other mid-fi make just does not even reveal the nature of a fine quality horn, let alone any other speaker. I happen to think that the speaker is just part of the chain and quality amplification is just as important.

All this being said, I do understand what you are saying as I do appreciate the wonderful "alive" qualities of what horns CAN do. I dont think the modern assortment of Klipsch really do the horn much justice, but as you can see, I am in the market for a set of vintage Cornwalls or something of similar ilk as we speak. Horns have the potential to sound more alive than the average speaker, but to write off all dynamic systems is not really being very educated on the topic, even given the jaunt via "Maggies and B&Ws."

By the way, enjoyed your page. Brought back some fine memories.

kh

f>s>