Whats the craziest audio thing that you have ever done?

toomanyspeakers

I directed a kids Sunday School Program once and decided to try to wirelessly mic all 15 of the main characters.

Between the dropped belt packs (the only ones that got dropped were the rental ones...) and the feedback nightmare (Fifteen open omni lavs on a 20x10 stage..I'm not sure the best sound guy in the world could have eliminated all the feedback issues...) it would have been better to just mic no one and tell the grandparents to turn up their hearing aids...[:D]

I think it was when I sold a 3/4 size Gibson hollowbody electric. Body

was about the size of a Les Paul but about 3 1/2 inches deep. Brown

hardshell with pink plush. $100.

Or when I sold my tube Bassman head and dual JBL fender bottom.

That's why I still have my '40s Gibson lapsteel. It rocks with the single coil!

Bruce

... slippin' on stage. I can just imagine Duke...

I was the only one of a group of surfers to make it out during a freak tropical storm . I say I made it out but truethfully the swells were as tall as my fathers house and whitecapping everywhere . " You couldn't get out far enough " . Made the first wave , nothin fancy , just a Nasty drop , bottom turn , and got the hell out of there before the Monster closed out on me . [li] . On the second wave I wasn't so lucky . I was fatigued from dodging and duckdiving the Monsterous swells and whitecaps . Paddled into it , would have had it , but didn't have the strength to paddle into it hard enough . Over the falls , Drilled , and was getting draged along the bottom . Then the leash from my board snapped . I was able to surface , probably down for 20 seconds , caught a breath , then got drilled again . Once more into the spin cycle , being tossed around under water like a Rag Doll . ( I Took A Breath Of Water ) . Should have been a goner , but managed to scratch and claw my way in . " Easily a 1/4 mile from shore at a beach break " . I was 17 and will NEVER forget it ...

I think the craziest thing I've ever done with audio is completely ignore it when making one of my senior thesis films in USC film school.

5 minute film, 16mm B&W, no sync-sound...

All SFX (sound-effects, from ADR to foley) had to be added in after the fact... It forced us to make very creative use of the SFX library, but as for realism or suspension of disbelief, that's just laughable... There's a reason why student films are pure, unadultered crap. BUT!, they always told us...

"Sound is 10% of the budget, and 50% of the film!"

I was the only one of a group of surfers ...

Cowabunga, you surfing your walnut Belle long boards ,or the Heresy short boards
Depends on conditions , I have 4 that range from '5"10 to '7"2 . I pretty much used the '7"2 this year . I'm about 20lbs to heavy for the other boards . Need to drop some pounds so I can use all of them again . [pi][pi][|-)]

I set up a full pa in my back yard.... had 3 bands play and only 6 folks came to the gig... what a wast...

Yeah but I bet it was rocken.

I'd have to say all the work I've done to create my theater. All the sound proofing, all the construction (ongoing). Even fell off a ladder and shattered my wrist on the second day of a 2 week vacation where I was going to spend every day working on my theater. Had to have surgery and spent my whole vacation doing nothing.

Whats the craziest audio thing that you have ever done?

I'll have to get back to you on this one after I consult 3rd party sources...because to me, anything audio related can't be crazy [;)]

That said, I have two audio experience favorites:

-First, I wrote and performed a song comprised entirely of feedback (who said the sound board wasn't an instrument?) - I spent 3 hours setting up everything and 20 minutes calibrating and during the recording process a door slammed at the other end of the building throwing everything into an exponential increase in volume. So I had to spend another 30 minutes recalibrating.

-Second, strapped on hearing protection and played some snare drum hits at 120, 140dB. Man I love that feeling on your chest!

Where do I start. I've had so many audio misadventures.

There was the time I decided to move my brand new Craig rebuilt Scott

299 with the power turned on, then there was the time I plugged in my

Bogen with only half the tubes in it it (poof), then I read something

about cantilivers on stereo cartirdges and promptly broke a $100

needle. Then I bought a Marantz 8b for $50 and was to cheap to

pay a total of $175 which would have got me the Marantz 7C only a $3000

error. Then....

It happened right here, the very first day I found the forum.

I do a search for "Klipsch Cornwall" and end up here. I see a thread about a week old with a seller within three hours of me offering Cornwalls. I email him, he tells me he's had lots of "looky-loos" but no takers, and he just wants them out of the house before the wife has a fit. I explain that I am three hours away and would be there to pick them up within 4. I get to the seller's home, where the condition totally justified the price, and merrily went home with the Cornwalls. I went from an idea to ownership of those Cornwalls in less than 8 hours.

Now that wouldn't be anything new for that to happen to a forum member here, but that was my first audio move in 10 years. Hell, I hadn't given audio a thought until I typed in "Klipsch Cornwall", it was just a light that went off in my head when I was sitting at the comp one day - and look where it got me[:)]