Sealing LS Doghouse?

DizRotus

What are the collective recommendations for sealing the bottoms of Las Scalas around the doghouse? Im in the process of resurrecting two of Four abused Lascalas need a good home - sold . The sticky strip that was around the perimeter of the bottoms (visible as the dark line between the network and the T-35 in the attached photo) has been removed. My questions are:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What did Klipsch use originally;

Should I again follow the perimeter of the rectangular bottom;

And/or, should I seal closer to the opening of the doghouse; and

Should I put screws through the bottom and into the walls of the doghouse (Id also use screws around the rectangular perimeter of the bottom?

FYI these will not be moved around and it is unlikely that anyone will need to gain access to the woofers in the near future. Nevertheless, I want to seal the back chambers adequately while not making it difficult to gain access to the woofers in the future.

post-8936-13819275943316_thumb.jpg

Hi

You responded to my post "La Scala Resto" so it's time to return the favor. For my bases, I'm going to rout a 1/4" deep and 15" square recess centered around the hole for the woofer. This will be the "female" and I'm going to attatch a piece of 1/4" thick MDF the bottom of the bases for the "male". Thus, the base will be located on the bottom on the speaker and I'll just have to put a little 1/4" foam weatherstripping around the edge of the woofer cutout. This should seal em' pretty good without much mess.

John

DR,

Klipsch used a strip of some black sticky material about 1/4 inch wide to seal the bottom hatch. As I remember, it is laid out about splitting the difference between the edge of the bottom hatch and the doghouse perimeter.

HDBRBuilder recommended an alternative that sounded very good to me. He suggest to lay down a healthy bead of silicone caulk on the bottom plate. Let that dry and cure a day or two, then it's ready to attach with a satisfactory seal.

Do it that way if you like, but it's overkill and a waste of time.

Just dip a rag into lacquer thinner and rub off the sticky residue left behind by the old weather stripping. Replace it with foam tape weatherstrip 3/8" or 1/2" wide x 3/16" thick. Screw the bottom back on using the same holes, unless some are stripped.

You can spend some of the time that you saved and look at all the joints inside the doug house. If any of them look like they might not be air tight fill them with silicone caulk.

i just removed whatever was remaining of the old crap and replaced it with whatever weather stripping i had laying around, which happened to be 3/4" brown

That's the kind of reinforcement I was looking for.

Not only do I agree with Bob's comment about reducing the volume of the back chamber, there is no way in He77 I'm going to put that much effort into these relics.

The way I routed it the MDF only protruded into the chamber about 1/16", which reduces the volume about 9 cubic inches IF the opening is 1 square foot which I don't think it is. I doubt you could notice this difference and even so the air leak between the woofer and board would probably negate it. But yeah, it is a lot of work and weatherstripping would be fine I believe. If you wanted, you could get 1/2" weatherstripping and rout a little 3/16" track for it to sit in......I'm getting carried away again.

The way I routed it the MDF only protruded into the chamber about 1/16", which reduces the volume about 9 cubic inches IF the opening is 1 square foot which I don't think it is. I doubt you could notice this difference and even so the air leak between the woofer and board would probably negate it. But yeah, it is a lot of work and weatherstripping would be fine I believe. If you wanted, you could get 1/2" weatherstripping and rout a little 3/16" track for it to sit in......I'm getting carried away again.

Don't misunderstand,. I admire your attention to detail. If these were for personal use, I'd consider a more elegant solution than weather stripping. But they're NOT! This is a pro bono project for the high school band. I've already invested way too much time. Weather stripping will be fine.

Don't misunderstand,. I admire your attention to detail. If these were for personal use, I'd consider a more elegant solution than weather stripping. But they're NOT! This is a pro bono project for the high school band. I've already invested way too much time. Weather stripping will be fine.

Sorry about all that. Is there anything I can do to make it right with you?

Michael

Michael,

All is well. I always expected to invest way too much time. You know, "No good deed goes unpunished."

The speakers were as expected. As the finished photos will show tomorrow, I went beyond what was necessary to make them functional and presentable. That was by choice. But routing out boards to seal the bottoms of the doghouses would be way too anal for the purposes of this project.

If you haven't done so, check out the "four abused . . " thread again in General.

The smiles on their little hormone ravaged faces will be reward enough.