Update pics of my home theater

capo72

Here is a picture of the wall unit i'm building. To the right is a media rack that will be hinged to the right wall and serve as a door to get behind the unit. To the left is my component rack with just the permanent shelves in place. There will be about 8 more adjustable shelves. In the middle is the tv stand for my 70" JVC. Underneath is the center channel angled up at 15 degrees. The pockets to either side of that are for my 2 Dayton Titanic 15" sealed front firing subs. The spaces in between will be filled with more shelves and cabinets. It is all oak veneered 3/4" plywood, and it will have solid oak trim on all face surfaces.

post-17815-13819275966026_thumb.jpg

Man, look at all them boxes!

Hope you're leaving room behind the equipment for wiring. That's what I hate about my entertainment system wall unit. I have to pull stuff out to change anything. Always precipitates a bunch of mumbled you-know-whats and scraped knuckles, hinges, etc. I envision my future HT to have a space behind the equiment to facilitate component changes, rewiring and the like.

There is just over 2 feet of depth behind the equipment to move around. That rack on the right is going to serve as a hidden door to get behind it all. I put in a light back there and the ceiling is open so I can run wires through the floor joist to the open area behind the room. It's so hard having all that stuff just sitting in the boxes. I now know what IndyKlipschfan was going through. I can hardly wait!!!

Jeremy

post-17815-13819275970346_thumb.jpg

Sometimes, building a custom unit is the only way to get a unit that

will work with our equipment. I like the rear access idea with

the "hidden" flip out door; Practical but still very "clean".

Where did you get the plastic CD holder insert you've test fitted?... do they have similar ones for DVDs?

I'm figuring you foresaw the extra space required to the left of you media shelf in order clear the depth of hinged cabinet.

ROb

Here is a link to the plastic cd holders that I have.

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=198

There is going to be a shelf and cabinet to the left of my CD rack. I have foreseen the need to leave room for the CD rack to swing out. The shelf/cabinet size will be determined my the amount of room I need to swing the door. I'm hoping it's minimal enough that a piece of trim, attached to the front left edge of the Cd rack, will cover the gap when closed.

Indy, the shelf for the center has about 10" of open space behind it, and it's open to the back. I may need to mod that or other things in the future. I have been planning and drawing this wall unit, on my CAD at work, for months now. I figured I had thought of everything, but have already had to make changes as I go. I'll keep posting updates, and i'll see if I cad post a screen cap of my CAD drawing.

Jeremy

Here is a picture of my equipment itching to get back out of those boxes. My "current" revised goal is to be done in time for a Superbowl party. Hopefully with long holiday weekends coming up, I can make some real progress.

Jeremy

Holy Smokes: This looks just like Christmas!!!! WOO-HOO! I love it! It reminds me of how my theater looked while I was stock-piling all of my boxed equipment. I am very excited for you. I know how it feels!

4-RF7's: YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!

post-10177-13819275991636_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would post a new pic of the progress i've made in the last couple weekends. Maybe 1 more weekends worth of work and i'll be ready for stain. I had to put the tv in place to measure for the shelf above it. I figured while it was there we should watch it. I hooked up a cheap dvd player and we watched "The Incredibles" with just the tv speakers. It was pretty cool. I definately need a good dvd player though.

Jeremy

post-17815-13819276278844_thumb.jpg