Cornwall 511B "voice of the Corn"[:)]

travisc

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can use this adapter to mount a K-55 to the 511b. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-322 But drill the adapter instead of drilling the horn. That leaves the 511b unmolested in case you (like me) decide that it is not all that good and want to sell it. I liked a K-401 better. Bob Crites

........"That leaves the 511b unmolested in case you (like me) decide that it is not all that good and want to sell it. I liked a K-401 better.'.......

Bob,

With all due respect......What driver did you use while testing the 511b? The K-55?

Regards,

Terry

travisc,

You should not need to modify the network, but you may want to. You may find the Altec sounds different enough that you will want a different balance. I think that kind of change should wait until you live with the changed horn for a while though.

AL K.

I do agree with Mr. Klappenberger. Listen to the horn lens long enough to to decide if you like it better than the K600. That should take about 90 seconds.[:o]

Then think about better drivers, lower Xover points, and steeper slopes depending on the driver of choice.

Terry

Terry said "Bob, With all due respect......What driver did you use while testing the 511b? The K-55?

Terry,

Yes, used a K-55. Could be that with another driver I would have been more impressed with the 511b, but with the K-55, I could not see any reason to put up with that unwieldy chunk of aluminum. I do think it will sound better than the K-600 the Cornwall came with. Also the K-401 sounds better than the K-600. Another advantage of the K-401 is that it is only $50.00 to give it a try.

edit: By the way, the Altec nut I got my 511b from was using it to keep a door propped open. Seemed to do that job very well. He thought he could replace it with a brick though.

Bob

mungkiman,

"Al, second question: Is your graph of an SAH driver or SAHF? There are both, and I believe the SAH is older for what that's worth."

SAH or SAHF? GACK! I'm not sure!

I obviously wrote "SAH" on the paper, but I remember SAHF as in SA-"High Freq.". All you need to do is look at a few of my posts to realize I often don't write what I am thinking.

I can't do anything else with that driver becasue it was sent to me by a fellow who bought it on eBay and asked if I would evaluate it. Since I was courious about it I agreed to do it. I have long-since returned it.

Al K.

Really want to try a larger midrange out with my Corns.

just when I get the idea in my head forum goes down.

I got alot of archive reading to do. But I have seen what IBslammin has done and would like to give it a whirl.

my Corns are rare and mint so no hole drilling, thinking 511b and a tweeter mounted on top as well as the crossover.

1'st question using the 511b instead of the 600 do I just move the squawker down one tap?

please bear with me

This is a great idea as Terry was my inspiration to buy 511b's.

Note: Don't change the crossover at all! Hook it up and hear how it sounds. Don't mess with the taps. The option you have is to change the mid cap to a higher value like 6.8 or 7 (instead of 4) to make the mid crossing down to 400Hz instead of 600Hz.

I'm gettin ready to send Terry a network to try on his setup. Nice thing about that setup is that you could change out the crossover on the fly.

Al. You are amazing. Man I wish I was creative and smart as you. Can't wait to see that horn. I'm still dying to try the Trachorn 400 but haven't gotten around to it. Your new horn may be better for some of my future applications.

jc

Hi everyone, been lurking this site for past 3 months and thought it time to jump in. Thanks to info here, I picked up an average condition pair of 1977 oiled walnut Cornwalls on ebay 2 months ago instead of a pair of Magnanplaner MG2's to replace a pair I had years ago, happy I did, anyway, also a fan of altec equiptment, and after reading about Terry's Cornwalls with the 511B's, had to do the same, well worth it! While the cabinets on my Cornwalls are not perfect, I also do not want to modify them to the point where they are no longer restorable and still basically the original design, so to start I mounted the 511's to pieces of 3/4 plywood and set them on top of the cabinets, and K77's to the top of the 511's. Going to work on making the plywood mounts more cosmetically appealing when I figure what I want them to look like.

To Terry and anyone else that have done this with the Cornwalls, I tried an additional mod that to me made this set up sound better blended (mids to lows) was turn the cabinets upside down, and put the 511's on the stand offs/bases which now are the top. have any of you tried this? I don't notice much drop in bass this way, if anything a bit tighter, and the lows sound more attached to the mids.

Will be making the Altec factory mod to the horns, cutting the fins at the welds and filling with black RTV or similar to what Altec used to get rid of some of the ring, also going to make a wooden rear mount to horn as the metal ones transmit a lot of noise right through the horn. Having gone this far, has anyone done the 400hz crossover, and is the difference worth the change? seeing as those who have put 511's on theire Khorns, Belles, and Lascalas already have the 400HZ crossover (is that type A crossover?)

Have enjoyed reading posts here, and searching the archives, nice forum/site, enjoyable speakers!

Travis, are you planning on bidding on the pair currently listed on ebay? I had thought about it, but if you are closer to doing this project, I'll step aside. My ebay name is same as forum moniker.

I'm talking about these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5832946608&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

another pair sold last week for $103 (yes, I've been watching them)

Michael

Terry said "Bob, With all due respect......What driver did you use while testing the 511b? The K-55? Terry, Yes, used a K-55. Could be that with another driver I would have been more impressed with the 511b, but with the K-55, I could not see any reason to put up with that unwieldy chunk of aluminum. I do think it will sound better than the K-600 the Cornwall came with. Also the K-401 sounds better than the K-600. Another advantage of the K-401 is that it is only $50.00 to give it a try. edit: By the way, the Altec nut I got my 511b from was using it to keep a door propped open. Seemed to do that job very well. He thought he could replace it with a brick though. Bob

......."that unwieldy chunk of aluminum"........."edit: By the way, the Altec nut I got my 511b from was using it to keep a door propped open. Seemed to do that job very well. He thought he could replace it with a brick though"......

[:D][:D] LMBO!!!!!

Bob, you have always made known your "disapointment" with the 511b; but you have always been "kind".

It's nice know how you realy feel! [;)] Still cracking up!

Terry

I volunteer for a nonprofit on mondays, I was a little bored so I fired a bid in there. I hope I get them too!! Oh well, I am fully prepared to hammer that auction to make this happen. BTW if you are reading this and have been bidding on those let me know and I will back down, if you dont let me know its gonna get ugly[:(][li][li][li]