3 Subs

watchdog

Howdy everyone....Ive had a pair of RP5 front main speakers for probably 6 years or so. They have powered 15 inch subs on the sides. I used a Y cable from my amps sub out, and ran a cable to each. Sounds great but I want to put another powered sub, 10 or 12 inch (Klipsch of course), behind my sectional. Can I just use another Y cable and break into the signal going to one of the RP5 subs? Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Juan

post-19883-13819276230066_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum watchdog.

I have not had the pleasure of hearing the RP-5's and can't comment on if what you are considering would work or not. I have the RSW-12 in front and the RSW -15 behind me and I can't imagine doing away with either one. I toyed with just having one or the other but life's too short for compromise. [;)] Go for it!

watchdog....I recently bought an RSW-10. I put this sucker right next to me (at the couch) under the end table. This really added the slam factor at my seat. It did take some adjusting to get it right w/3 subs in this room. Lots of level adjustments, positioning distance etc...

Anyway, there is a LOT of air moving around in here and it sounds and feels soooo good.......[:D]

The Hsu is front. The RSW is using a y cable with the Hsu and is positioned next to me at the rear. The SW12II is using speaker level from the rear surround outs and is positioned at the opposite end of the couch.

What a blast this is!

Later

Mike

Some receivers have the capability to use a software switch in the menu to run the LFE signal to L+R (if you dont' have a sub), SUB only (if your mains are smaller) or L+R+SUB (as in your case where you'd want the LFE to go to your mains, and also the signal to go out the line LFE into your sub, in this case, you wouldn't use any Y cables, just hook up normally and know that the LFE .1 signal was being sent to sub and your two RP5 mains. I think this would be a simpler solution and ensure that maximum voltage was going to your dedicated sub.

Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael. Im still new at this, big time, so Im confused. If I remember right (its been a long time), my receiver is set to "sub only" for the LFE signal. So out of the sub output on the back of the receiver, is where I plugged in the Y cable, then connected each end of the Y cable to the LFE inputs on the back of the RP5s for the subs. The RP5s also have LFE outs and LINE in and outs. Am I wrong for thinking the LFE ins only go to the subs? I guess thats where Im confused in regards to your reply. Do I want the LFE to go to the mains too? The sound as it is, is awesome, always has been, but I wanted to kick it up a little by putting another sub right behind, up against the sectional, and Wuzzzers reply sounded like I would have an easy hookup for the 3rd sub.

Juan