HT noob

bismarck

I have a yamaha HTR5840 reciever and am purchasing a synergy 12 inch sub. I am wondering if i can just plug it into recievers "sub woofer" jack and be good to go. Or will i have to mess with the cross over frequency or anything.

I am also planning on placing it close to, but not completely in a corner, will there be any negative effects to that?

Yes you can use the sub out on the back of the receiver,set the sub to phase 0,set frquency to 80hz for now and set the vloume to 1/4 and break the sub in a while,as for placement depending on the room you can also use a side wall any where in that room or close to a corner as you say.Should work well

thanks, will do. I also have 2 more quick questions. One, what is the "phase setting" Two, My reciever puts out, well, atleast is rated at 100Wx6ch. I am just wondering how everything will translate going from that reciever to a sub woofer that can do 300W continuous.

The phase setting allows you to adjust the blend of the subwoofer with your other speakers. Sometimes depending on where you're sitting compared to where the sub and main speakers are located, certain frequencies can be cancelled out. By having an onboard phase adjustment it allows you to compensate for that.

Don't worry about the watt thing. Just put on some music you are familiar with that has a good, repeating bass beat. Adjust the level of the subwoofer until it blends in but doesn't overpower your other speakers. Everyone will have different preferences as to how loud they like their sub. I like it louder than my main speakers for movies, equal to the main speakers for music.