Starting Out

mtber101

Well I finally got a pair of klipsch speakers (other than promedia stuff). I purchased the Synergy F-3's along with a Yamaha HTR-5830.

i really wanted to go with the reference line but I couldn't pull of that kind of cash for the RF-7's. I also know the receiver is a very low-end receiver but I plan to upgrade to seperates when I get the money. So this receiver should hold me for now.

I really like the way the setup sounds but I'm a little mad at myself because of not getting into the reference line.

The total came to just over $1000 and I have a 30 day return policy. What would your advice be? With a budget of $1k or so.

Well I finally got a pair of klipsch speakers (other than promedia stuff). I purchased the Synergy F-3's along with a Yamaha HTR-5830. i really wanted to go with the reference line but I couldn't pull of that kind of cash for the RF-7's. I also know the receiver is a very low-end receiver but I plan to upgrade to seperates when I get the money. So this receiver should hold me for now. I really like the way the setup sounds but I'm a little mad at myself because of not getting into the reference line. The total came to just over $1000 and I have a 30 day return policy. What would your advice be? With a budget of $1k or so.

If you are on a tight budget, you may want to consider some used equipment. I was digging around and saw a great deal on two RF7's and a sub on eBay!!!!

Extra caution should be observed but you may find you can get a lot more speaker if you prowl around this forum, eBay, and other places.

My Advice?? Stay within the synergy line.. The system together sounds very nice.. Add 2 subs if you want the wow factor... and really get the feel of it all. I have heard this set up at Klipsch and Best Buy...(when they have it hooked up correctly of course...LOL) And it sounds wonderful!

Later in life when money is easier.. and you feel a need to, pull the trigger, and get the big boys..

Welcome to Klipsch and the forums!

I'm not a Klipsch expert and I am reluctant to offer advice contrary to IndyKlipschFan because he does seem to know virtually everything when it comes to Klipsch but what about some of the bookshelf reference speakers (RB25s or RB35s) and then moving them to the surrounds when you can afford RF7s for the front?

Well you could always get a used pair of Chorus, Forte, or Cornwalls for what you paid for the F3's... [;)]

But seriously...if your end goal is a reference based system, then you need to start out in that direction. What do you plan to do with your F3's if/when you upgrade to reference? You certainly won't get your investment back by selling them later on down the road.

What Jeff suggested is what I suggest to everyone that is building their system....start out with a bookshelf system for now. As funds replenish you can upgrade to a pair of floorstanders and move the bookshelf speakers to surround duty. Then get a center channel and then get a subwoofer, or the other way around depending on how clear the vocals are.

Btw, moving to seperates should be the last thing you do. Your cheap reciever will have no problems driving your very efficient klipsch speakers and will be more than enough until you've got the whole system built. So once you have achieved a 5.1 system, then upgrade to a nice reciever that has pre-outs, which in itself will be a good improvement....then later on down the road you can move to seperates simply by using your reciever as the pre/pro (just connect amps to the pre-outs).

So if you can swing it, try getting yourself a pair of RB-75's ($1200 list price for the pair). I know that's $400 more than what you paid for the F3's ($800 for the pair, right?), but you won't regret it. Or you can go cheaper with the RB-35 ($600 for the pair). Btw, these are list prices so you should be able to get some deals at the dealer (and perhaps get the 75's for around $1000).

Your F3 setup will certainly sound better than any bookshelf option, but don't let short term satisfaction ruin your long term goals.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I did pay 800 for the set....

What should I expect if i were to switch out the f3's for the RB-75's? I'm guessing they pack a very mean punch.

Also I know the klipsch speakers are very efficient but the receiver has to be up around -30 and close to 0 to get "loud". Much below -40 I can't hear them. Is this normal?

I'm not a Klipsch expert and I am reluctant to offer advice contrary to IndyKlipschFan because he does seem to know virtually everything when it comes to Klipsch but what about some of the bookshelf reference speakers (RB25s or RB35s) and then moving them to the surrounds when you can afford RF7s for the front?

Jeff... the sarcasim of your implication is funny..

I am not an "expert", never claimed to be.... and certainly not above approach or so full of himself to this system verses that one.. I have helped 8 people with HT's in the last 2 years and just completed my own too. To say this audio "hobby" is an obsession? Yes it is... And to all things Klipsch too. I am not the only one on this board that has known or had different systems with a lot of Klipsch speakers, and I can offer real world advice because I/we have tried them out at home and heard them first hand too.

So let's look at the facts of HIS stated system too.

If he started out this way and has limited funds, why not get a full system that is within his budget that he can grow into and decide later in life. If HE wants a bigger Ref or Heritage system with more money too he can go that direction? What is so bad about this idea?? Go with what the customer needs and wants.. Don't oversell him or undersell him on the get go. geeze... Let's also make him feel good about his purchase thus far too.

Last the Timbre WILL matter, and a well matched mid level ( price wise..) synergy sytem will rock ... Especially, compared to a mix match of different classes of Klipsch Speakers.

The RB-75 will have a cleanner midrange and better high end, but a

smaller sound with probably less bass.....this can be augmented with a

quality subwoofer or by simply waiting to get floorstanders later on.

I've not specifically heard the RB-75's but I have heard the RB3 versus

the RB5 (which is a discontinued middle brother between the 3 and the

7). The RB-5 was leaps and bounds better and I can only imagine the 75

would be even better. The difference was quite huge actually.

no

BUT - a synergy based HT is by no means as bad as many make it out to

seem. The reference certainly dominate with music, but with movies I

think they are very similar performers.

Is your buyer's remorse stemming from the need to have the absolute

best, or do you actually find your F3's preventing you from

enjoying your movies?

• Moderators

Very good advice from Indy and Drwho, I went ,going thru the same thing.

About 2 years ago i went out and bought the 5 Synergy setup sb3,sc1,ss1,and a diy sub and i have to say it sounds very good for movies and music. So 2 years later i am trying to decide on what speaker to upgrade to,mostly for music and when i do those 5 Synergy will not match anything i will get. It was not a total waste of money ,i can use them in another room or they can go to a family member but they will not match in any way with any others i will get ,so it's like starting over.

At least one very good thing came out of those Synergy speakers I found Klipsch and i am at least heading in the right direction!

Jeff... the sarcasm of your implication is funny..

Just to be clear, there was NO sarcasm at all.

I have been fairly vicious at avsforum.com at times (in the last couple days defending Klipsch from an elitist S.O.B. Albuquerque audio shop owner who thinks the ONLY speakers worthy of being sold are NHTs) but I have almost never been that way here. You guys are much more civil and worthy of respect.

Ironically, the only time I was snippy here was also with a dealer. Apparently, I don't like dealers! [;)]

My closest Reference dealer would sell me a pair of RB-75's in cherry for $899. What do you all think? $100 more than the F3's... Also how does the cherry look in person? And would my little yamaha receiver be able to do them justice?

I think the online photos do a great job of displaying how the cherry speakers look in all their glory. Download the PDF brochure of the Reference series and check it out. They look great.

A receiver ought to do a great job with Klipsch speakers because they are so efficient.

The cherry is beautiful and will help with the wife acceptance factor. Black cabinets just are not as attractive.

Klipsch are very efficient speakers. Your Yamaha should do fine for now.

I definately think that it will be easier to meld them into a very nice 5.1 system as your budget allows.