50" Panasonic HD plasma tv

SteelerFan

I believe it has improved technology of some sort extending it's life beyond that of older plasmas.

You are right, a few months ago, before the high end plasma

manufacturers started using that new technology I wouldn't recommend a

plasma to anyone, there was no point in buying something as expensive

as they are and having it burn-in so shortly, although they still can't

beat the ZERO burn-in of LCD's now that they can last like 5-7 years

without any burn-in I'd get a modern plasma for a home theater over an

LCD, plasma are generally true 3000:1 contrast ratio and way better

viewing angle which makes them mcuch better for watching DVD's, LCD's

are just now getting to 800:1 and 1000:1 true contrast ratio, and many

advertise 1000:1 when they are really only 600:1.

EDIT: Not to mention how sorry I feel for people that bought an older

plasma and tried playing XBOX or PS2 on it, HUD (heads up display)

burn-in like a mofo.

Tell your father - congrats - he is going to love it. I have had my 42 inch Panasonic ED plasma for about a year - and love it. Even though Panasonic was leading the market in plasma picture quality and satisfaction for a couple of years now (even with true blacks), they really hit the scene big this summer by dropping the MSRP on their 50 inch HD plasma to $3999 and the MRRP on their 42 inch HD plasma to $2999. As a result, most of the 50 inch HD Panasonic plasmas are back ordered.

Right now, the 50 inch Panny plasma is the best thing going for the price.

The only sets grabbing more attention are the new 1080p upscalers.....and you cannot hang them on a wall. I almost pulled the trigger on another plasma (50 - Panasonic), but I am waiting a little while longer to see when the models come out that accept 1080p inputs (from video).

As for those who played video games on older plasmas...........

Should be relegated to the 19 inch tube.......

Again, congrats to your dad.

Your pops got a sweet TV. As far as longevity, that Panasonic is rated at over 80,000 hours (about 20 years if you are about average). It has a really nice picture and the price is killer. I still can't believe how overstated the "burn-in problem" is in the plasma discussion. You almost have to TRY to retain an image (and that is what it is, image retention) on a decent quality plasma. The only games I can think of that could cause a problem is RPG's and that is if you play them many hours a day, many days a week. A buddy of mine has a 3 year old Philips plasma on which we play many a game of Halo 2, Tiger Woods, and he plays the X-Men games, and I have yet to see any retained image. Stretch the 4:3 videos, maybe change the view of a couple of the mentioned RPG's, and don't do anything beyond what you would expect a TV to do (i.e. keep a still picture up for hours on end) and it just isn't a real issue. Plus with the different "color washes" and other modes to remove a retained image, I don't know why anyone would be scared of a plasma. Enjoy the set, get an XBox 360 hooked up to that bad boy when you can....the games will knock your socks off.

I've had my 50" Panny HD plasma for about three years now and have never looked back. HD is unbelievable and movies are just great. I've had zero-zip-nada burn in problems and the set is on 14 hours a day pulling all kids of duty with the family.

My only beef with the unit is that, once you get used to HD broadcasts and DVD PQ, you can forget about normal 4:3 OTA broadcasts. It will drive you nuts and make you beg for the day that all content is in HD.

Enjoy with abandon!

His is back ordered also, he's supposed to get it around the 28th. Good to hear the burn in is not a big problem anymore, ofcourse he doesn't play video games anyway. Not one negative comment! I'm really happy for him, he deserves to be happy about something, it's been a rough time for him since my Mom passed away in September. They were married for 50 years.

I'm thinking for Christmas I'll buy him a new DVD player that upscales to HD. Anyone have a reccomendation for around $200?

Thanks to everyone for your responses, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to hear all comments were 100% positive.[:D]

Spoofee.com has a link to a 42" plasma at amazon.com for under $1,500 delivered. Too bad I missed the 25% off Amazon.com coupon during the American Express promo yesterday!

Go to avsforum.com and search for OPPO and you will see thousands of post on it. It's a great upscaling DVD player for $199. It has a DVI output and comes with either a DVI-DVI cable or a DVI-HDMI one depending on what you need. The OPPO people are great at supporting the community that uses their DVD player.

www.oppodigital.com

People on the AVS forum speak highly of the Panny Plasma's. I've started to research plasmas, because that might be my next move. A plasma would keep me from having to rebuild my cabinets for about the tenth time. I need at least a 60" for my room so I'm waiting for the prices to come down a little more.