Best STEREO soundtrack on a music DVD?

maxg

As I have a DVD player but not a surround sound system I am interested in what people think are the best Stereo soundtracks out there.

My personal favorite is Fleetwood Mac's - The Dance. Interestingly this DVD has the 5.1 track on one side of the disk and the stereo track on the other side. Coincidence?

Aside from that most of the DVD's have stereo tracks that play worse than the coresponding CD. The most noticable is an Elton John DVD which is dreadful in comparison to the DDD CD double album I have, although the Shania Twain DVD runs it a close second.

Other's Experiences?

I like those stereo songs where the voices go back and forth between the 2 speakers in front. My favorite is that song by Donnie and Marie Osmond where Donnie says in one speaker I'm a little bit country and Marie says in the other speaker I'm a little bit Rock and Roll.

Or is it the other way around? Anyone know?

T-man

Marie was the little bit Country one, Donny was the little bit Rock & Roll one. Viewed from the audience, Marie was on the left and Donny was on the right.

I am two channel only. When I listen to a DVD through the system, how do I know whether I'm listening to a two channel track that my DVD player found, or a two channel mix created from a 5.1 soundtrack by the DVD player (Toshiba 3109), or the two front channels of a 5.1 mix? Huh huh huh????

To answer the question, I think the Don Henley DVD LIVE Inside Job is SpecTAcular. And, as an added bennie, you get a salsa-fied version of Hotel California complete with guys in sunglasses playing Trombones!!!

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

It's interesting how my impostor has been able to generate a few laughs here and there. Regardless, I'd like to comment that his statements (that of t man) have no association with that of my own (t-man)cwm10.gif .

Although I faintly remember Donnie and Marie, I think I was in Kindergarten at the timecwm9.gif . Along the same type of stereo, my father has some cool CCR reel to reel tapes that have totally different info in the left and right channels. Sort of a preclude to real stereo, I think.

The original,

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Reminds me of some Beatles songs -- all the music in one channel and all the vocals in the other. Coool, man!

Ray - Are you sure about that? I recall that Donny was on the left. Didn't all GREAT duos have the guy on the left as you face the screen - Sonny/Cher, the Carpenters, Rowan/Martin?

DD2

DD2,

Don't forget Kenny Rogers and Dolly! I think He was also on the left if my 6 year old brain could remember.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Dean,

I don't think about it at all while the music is playing. When I'm sitting in front of the PeeCee here, typing madly in some forum and someone asks a question that prods me to think about it, I realize how little I really know about stuff I thought I knew a lot about.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

I liked the soundtrack "These Are The Days", played in the movie "Nine Months" w/ Hugh Grant/Julianne Moore. I feel the song contains profoundly moving lyrics. It's from Van Morrison's CD Titled "Avalon Sunset".

I was so taken with the song "The Power of One", from the movie "The Power of One", that I bought the soundtrack. Still enjoy it! Later found it a bit ironic that Hans Zimmer was the composer who selected the musical scores for both movies.

Ray -

If you have the DVD player connected via the stereo RCA jacks on your player (not the 6 output or digital jacks)then your are listening to the downmixed 5.1 to Dolby Surround Sound or just regular stereo. The front l/r 5.1 channels are never output'd on these jacks. Most times you can set the DVD player to stereo only (buried in the menus) or the DVD itself will note on the case that there is a 2 channel stereo mix (I think there always is a 2 channel stereo mix) that you can select. No idea if this is what you were asking about but there ya go anywaycwm30.gif

I really like Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" DVD it is awsome in both Stereo and 5.1 surround.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC