DVD Format Question ???

iwillwalk

secam is correct cwm43.gifcwm43.gif

so does anyone have a suggestion or way for me to be able to take all of my region 1(?)dvds overseas and be able to watch them

thanks

also I am not able to ship the cornwalls and legends overthere and have priced a small reference system at the klipsch dealer in paris and it is more than twice the price of america. any idea on getting some cheap klipsch speakers there?

thanks

Try this link to look at region free DVD players. They may also help you with the French standard issue.

http://www.codefreedvd.com./

I hope this helps you out some.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This is probably way too obvious to have been overlooked, but since I'm the king of overstating the obvious, here goes:

How 'bout taking an American TV (or made for America, anyway) with you to work with your wild American DVD player and your American DVDs? Also, how 'bout taking a Klipsch speaker setup with you, rather than buying it over there? Or have those crazy French people imposed an import restriction on speakers that aren't made in Champagne -- quelle(?) domage.

Bon chance!!

DD2

the monsieur at the Klipsch dealer in france gave me these prices : A pair of KLF-30's in france was $3000, RB-3's $585, RC-3's $555, KSW-12 $855 and RS-3's $700.

insanity,sacre bleu and told me if want to bring my speakers I have to pay import tax sucks. (Bobg, is that correct?)

Due to everything I am taking I have no room for TV or care to check my pair of Cornwalls(I am not selling them )

cwm38.gif

I have just discovered the possibility of dezonning my dvd player so it would work anywhere in the world

I will post info if I have progress

thanks

I wonder if there is a computer based solution to this problem of video.

I speak from ignorance. Even by the undemanding standards of Chicago.

I note that computers can be used to play DVD. So perhaps if a computer card, or laptop, has a SECAM output, this could work.

Gil

Fortunately as a European, I can help here.

1. Your DVD player can come over to play your american DVD's, but you will need a power converter as France runs 230 V AC as opposed to the American 115 Volt system.

2. Yes, all your recordings are in NTSC format and the French standard is SECAM. You will probably want to get a multi-standard TV (most Sony's available in Europe are Pal / Secam and NTSC).

3. If you play any NTSC source on a Pal/Secam TV you will find the image plays in Black and White. This can also happen if the TV only supports the older NTSC standards.

4. Depending on your DVD player you can almost always get it converted to a multi-region player (1 -6, or at least 1 and 2). I would advice you to do this as there is some tightening up of DVD distribution at the moment. (FYI the main reason for this is that DVD region 1 movies often come out before the movie has hit the cinemas in Europe. This has caused a decrease in Cinema audiences in Europe and the film industry is trying to protect itself. A case of doing anything rather than treating Europeans as first classs citizens like Americans (by launching globally at the same time)).

5. French TV is going to drive you insane. Everything is dubbed (unlike Greek which uses subtitles - thank god). If you watch a lot of TV you will probably want a satelitte dish to get english speaking progams (CNN, BBC, MSNBC, Fox, ESPN etc. etc.) These transmit in both PALplus and NTSC. You will then discover why Europe uses PAL as opposed to NTSC (Never the Same Colour twice) - it is a far better standard.

Any other questions?