Do Bose suck?

JerrySVT

My parents are building a new house and planning to install a central stereo system and surround sound in some of the bedrooms and throughout the hose in various rooms. They were talking to this one guy and he was going to use those little Bose cube speakers through out the whole house. I heard that Bose sucks. If Bose are shitty speakers, are there any Klipsch speakers to use instead of the Bose.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would say that Bose would suck as the primary system in any room esp. for the main home theater system. I have never heard a Bose system until last weekend. I went over to a frined of mine and watched my copy of the Super Speedway DVD on their system and the little Bose cubes did not stand a chance with all the effects and stuff. God it was awful ringing and distoration everywhere. I think he was tying to impress me 'cause we had already seen it at my house and the Klipsch filled the room with good clean LOUD sound. Anyway after hearing that I would not suggest Bose for a main system. However if the goal is just for background noise they may be ok. Klipsch does make in wall and outdoor speakers for whole house sound but I have never heard them.

Now on to the important matters. What type of SVT vehicle do you have and what have you done to it?

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Jerry, about a year and a half ago my wife decided she wanted a home theatre system. We were having our basement finished so we thought we'd go all out. She went out and bought all the gear. When I came home to find the BOSE Lifestyle 15 system, I was pretty excited. I was even more excited to learn that she got the system for $1100 brand new (with a receipt and a warranty) through a friend of a friend. Almost $2000 off the regular price. Then, one day I decided to make a last minute turn into a local HT Boutique. It was there that I saw the light. The rep had the Bose Lifestyle 15 and the Klipsch Quintets with a KSW 12. He played both speakers for me running through a Yamaha 795A receiver. It was the Eagles concert DVD. He didn't tell me which speaker was which, he simply wanted me to point out which was better sounding. What I thought was clearly the BOSE, was in fact the Klipsch. I couldn't afford the KSW 12 so he replaced it with a KSW 10. Still, the Klipsch beat down the BOSE. That afternoon I did more research and found that BOSE is the biggest selling speaker firm in North America because many people get sold on their marketing plans. Truly, they have great, almost fantastic marketing, but their product falls well below audiophile quality. That night, I purchased the quins and the KSW 10 ($1500... $400 more than the BOSE) and I have converted many a lost soul to the Klipsch experience. Bottom line is you need to buy what sounds best to you, however, when you compare the BOSE to the Klipsch, I GUARANTEE that you'll find the Klipsch a better product.

____

Yamaha 795A receiver

Klipsch quintets

KSW 10 sub

Sony 43" Rear Projection

Sony DVD

Express View Satellite

Panasonic VCR

Monster Cables everywhere.

I agree with the above.

The matter is really not what is shitty or sucks. Yikes, such technical language.

Rather, it is a matter of physics.

The little cubes have little speakers, and little speakers just can't give extended response without distortion.

Klipsch has a line of in wall speakers which will have better performance than the cubes. In wall installation, or ceiling installation, allows them to be bigger than the cubes.

There are many other sources of in wall speakers which will work too. I think you'll be well served by a listening test. Make your own judgment.

One thing which I've not seen discussed is whether the in wall speakers can be supplemented by a subwoofer for really good bass. Something to inquire about.

No system of this extent is going to be cheap. Therefore, it makes sense to get a thoughtfully set up system so you get something "perfect."

Gil

The Cobra has some rear wheel punch!Almost 470 rear wheel horsepower!Whew,this thing must run.Under 12 sec quarter mile is good too.

Now William has a great idea,in wall speakers.Klipsch has a R line.Great sounding and if installed right will put the Bo$e to shame in ANY respect.

I use Dynaudio,Spendor and Klipsch speakers all are true quality speakers.Dont sound the same(Spendor and Dunes are close)but all sound damn good.

The Bo$e are like a Nissan Micra VS Porsche 959(Dynes and Spendor)not a great outcome for the Micra here.And the Klipsch are the Viper Stryker(1100BHP turbo monster)again VS the poor Micra.Its not even fair to compare.

Klipsch sounds so much better then the Bo$e they are worlds apart.The Bo$e is all marketing and Klipsch is the real deal.To put Klipsch in the same basket as Bo$e is a gross insult for any Klipsch owner and audiophile.

By all means get Klipsch.Dont let marketing take over.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

if you think the quintets sound good, just wait 'till you upgrade to the big boys!

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V -5-way w/15" woofers

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk RT f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation connected to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

look at Eyes.gif the contractor series! better sound than b**e and good value for the price. a quintet w/ a 10" sub would beat ANY bose cube system...btw-my store sells b**e. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Originally posted by JerrySVT:

1997 Mustang Cobra

Vortech V2 w/aftercooler

MSD Ignition

BBK o/r h-pipe

BBK full length headers

Well, as long as we're getting off topic for this BB. Here goes...

Colt Gold Cup #SN30629

IPSC Conversion (International Practical Shooting Consession)

Millett Series 100 dual crimp sights.

Heinie Match Barrel and Dual-Port Compensator

Action job with 2 3/4 lb. trigger pull

Firing pin safety shim for Series '80 to Series 70' conversion

Wilson Combat two piece rod guide

Wilson extended slide stop

Wilson extended thumb safety

Videki aluminum adjustable trigger

Ed Brown extended grip safety

Smith & Alexander extended magazine release with lightened spring

Hogue Pau Ferro Custom Wood grips

Smith & Alexander flat mainspring housing with magazine well

Heinie narrow slot grip screws

Wilson #47DE magazines with bumper pads

Bullseye internal spring kit

Ed Brown case extractor

Ed Brown extended ejector

Dura-Chrome full gun plating

Videki four finger trigger spring

Safariland 008 Holster

Accuracy from Ransom Rest: 1.68" @ 50 yards using hand loads.

Tom

This message has been edited by tblasing on 10-11-2001 at 01:07 PM

Hehe I am such a bad boy see what I started. There was a reason I asked though. See the Bose are like an Ford Focus. Good basic transportation but nothing to write home about. Klipsch (esp the full size ones) are like a stock Cobra (much better). Add a couple of good subs, good surrounds, and proper amplification and you get your car :-)

quote:

Originally posted by JerrySVT:

1997 Mustang Cobra

Vortech V2 w/aftercooler

MSD Ignition

BBK o/r h-pipe

BBK full length headers

flowmaster 2 Chambers

4.10s

B&M Shifter

Nitto drag radials

18x10 Chrome Saleen wheels

1.5 in Eiabech lowering springs

468 RWHP

378 RWTQ

11.8 @ 123mph

BTW "The Beast" my nice weather car:

'83 Mustang GT

347 with too much to list

C4

11.7 on motor

10.9 with NOS

Please don't ask how I get inspection stickers :-)

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Well, there is a terrific article on why BOSE sucks. It is in the ProMedia section, the v2.400 thread i believe.

We almost bought a BOSE system for our house. We were mesmerized by the show they gave us at their store, all that sound from THOSE speakers? My dad and i went for weeks wondering how they did it, readiing BOSE's literature made us in awe of their technology. It was not till a trip to Tweeter Home Entertainment that our dreams were shattered. BTW, they sell BOSE... So, we go there to purchase the Lifestyle 35-50 series. Tweeter is like a Toy's r Us for me and my dad... we get lost in the HT department and see some Klipsch speakers, some Martin Logan's, some AR, and some Boston Acoustics and some Mirages... the list could go on and on. Well, we sat down and listened to nearly every configuration they had setup. We were once again amazed by the sound, kinda depressed it was coming from such large speakers. When we did a side by side comparision of the Quintet system and the BOSE we decided what was the way to go. Klipsch. Then when I got home i did some research about Klipsch, found out who they were and found all the systems and got to the BB...well needless to say we got a Quintet system not long after, a Synergy Series 6 system and i got the ProMedia v2.400's. We have converted all of our close relatives to Klipsch, the rest we let stay with BOSE, just cause it is funny i guess LoL!

BOSE's one little box powering the whole house is a great idea but you can get that from other ppl. Get some inwall Klipsch speakers and you wont look back at BOSE except to laugh.

If you just want to have quiet, ambient noise and spend top dollar, then go for the BOSE, but if you want sound that can be loud, undistorted, and heart poundingly clear, get the Klipsch speakers.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want <A HREF="mailto:promediatech@Klipsch.com">email Amy</A> or call her toll free: 1-888-554-5665

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

JerrySVT check out the Polk Audio DS7200 system,if you like to have a compact all in one system.

The DS7200 is a real high quality system,well built and good sounding.You will be amazed how good this system sounds!The built is top quality also.

The Bo$e is a joke when compared to the DS7200.Even a Quintet/KSW12 and good reciever dont come near the DS7200 sound quality.

The DS7200 is one of the very few all in one systems that perform and sound damn good.If you dont demand extra high output in a large room. Smile.gif

Hope this helps

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Did I hear that Klipsch is hosting another bowling with cubes tournament?!! EXCELLENT...I'M IN Smile.gif !!!

Actually, I have a neighbour with the Lifestyle system and he was so tickled pink to show it off. I didn't have to heart to say "anything". I took him to my place, showed him my Khorns, let him listen to my Khorns, watched his face hit the floor at the base of my Khorns, and that was without my La Scala's, Hersey II's, and dual C7's at the time.

As mentioned before, the Ref series would be great for them. Happy Hunting!

SVT,

If your parents have the money there is a real neat brick and mortar HT place called SmartHomeTheaters in Livonia, MI.

Vince and Ken are real easy to work with.

They do the whole house thing for a formal business for over 3 years.

They carry Monitor Audio, Parasound, Integra and projection stuff also.

If you do not have time to wire the whole house yourself these guys are better to work with than the snobby places on Woodward.

Almas HIFI has two stores that carry Klipsch in Dearborn and Royal Oak; but I think they would be pricey for the "turnkey" instalation service.

Tell you my Mustang story later .

Boomer9911 how correct,

I like when some proud Bose owner gets to listen to my Dynaudio/Aerial/Krell/AudioR/Sony SACD music system, they soon forget what most call the overpriced cubed hype.Its night and day.One is colored and weak the other system is pure music with life like power.

After they hear my system they dont feel so lucky to own Bo$e after all.If they could they probably would ask for a complete refund! Smile.gif

And my Klipsch HT system,ha

Its not even fair to compare.

I say to all Bo$e owners and potential buyers,DARE TO COMPARE. Yea I dare you to,Klipsch will outperform the hype on any music,any movie and any any test.

Nuff said

TheEAR(s) Now theears