Do Bose suck?

JerrySVT

Here's a little math quiz for all you efficiency lovers out there. When I used to work for a local PA installation company, the owner would put newbies through this quiz. Remember this was back in the 80's so the equipment has changed somewhat. This will be an example of why BOSE SUCK. The speakers may appear less expensive, but couple the terrible distorted, ringy sound to the amount of amplification you need to drive these power hungry little boxes and you'll see why Klipsch is not only more ear-friendly, but more economical.

Ok, here goes. How many Bose 901 cabinets (8 x 4" speakers) at 83 db/watt/meters and Crown DC300 amplifiers does it take to match ONE Altec A7-8 Voice of the Theatre at 104 db/watt/meter with ONE Crown DC300A.

Hint, the Crown amp was like 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms and it takes DOUBLE the wattage and speakers to deliver 3 more dB. (disclaimer- some of these figures may be off a bit, hey I grew in the 70's okay- I can't remember EVERTHING!)

ANSWER - it would take 8 Bose cabinets and 1200 watts of Crown amps to match the Altec cabinet's efficiency, to say nothing of sound quality and distortion. This is why we used a double stack of La Scala Industrial Separates for our main portable Band and Disco PA system! Loved those babies!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I missed another bowling with cubes tournament, damn, got to check back more often. I'll bring a keg, someone supplies the pizza, and we'll wing it from there eh...10.gif

mind you, I was impressed with that am\fm\cd radio with the "wave sound" thingy they advertize on tv 10.gif

In Canada we call them Nu*nce 9.gif

This should be enough to dissuade any potential Bose shopper.

Previously posted in the Best Bose Review EVER thread by IndyKlipschFan.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Satellites 280hz to 13khz at +-10.5db

Bass Module 46hz to 202hz at +-2.3db

Where's the high frequencies?

What happens to the meat on vocals from 200hz to 280hz?

+-10.5db? Holly Freaking Hanna!

UbberLander,

Placebo huh,your High End system is not real you imagined High-End and were brainwashed by Dr B0$e to think you have what you dont,its a B0$e.

No its not Krell you own,its a Yorx dude,and your Egglestonworks...these are Cambridge Soundworks in reality!Your Jadis...an old Juliette preamp with lightbulbs for tubes!Your Krell MRS nothing more...just a Rat Shack Maersk bass module!

LOL

The Dynaudio Esorat tweeters in your speakers...no these are Boostaroo PMPO Reference full rangers!Clean up your act drugs and booze dont mix,trust an addict like me.When I am drunk and look at my FutureCrap gear I imagine I own better gear!My RSW subs...not real...I work with Photoshop alot,these are in reality three Candle boom boxes!