May have to Disown (?) Fiancée

divin11112000

I have the reference 35 series speakers and an RSW-15. She loves candles and burns them constantly, however she knows that NOTHING goes on the speakers or the sub ESPICALLY candles. Infact the only thing on any of my speakers are a picture on the RF-35's. She is real good about not putting things on them and when she puts knicknacks on them she puts a cloth or towel on top to make sure they don't get scratched. To make a long story short she had candles burning on the entertainment center top right corner. When she put out the candle it fell over and spilled melted wax onto the front of my RF35. The little bit of wax that was on the top of the speaker came off very easy, and you can't really see any damage. HOWEVER the fabric covering has a nice wax spill down the front which unfortunately I have yet to be able to get off.

1. Is there a way to get wax off or should I consider the grille toast.
2. If it is toast where can I get a replacement grille, do I need to call my dealer and get it though them?

I guess I'm glad that I keep the covers on (eventhough I like the look without the cover). Had wax gotten on the woofer surrounds or the cones i may have had to disown (?) her.

thanks
chris

Try using an old t-shirt . Double up the shirt and place the grill front side down on it . Being carefull , use either a heat gun or hairdryer and heat the other side of the grill . You don't need much heat , just enough to liquify the wax and it will be absorbed on the shirt . Don't rub the spot , that will make the wax spread .

I have never had this happen so I don't know for sure. But if it were me I would try:

1) Cold. Freeze the section, be sure to do it in her freezer and make a mess, and then try to scrape it off.

2) Heat. Some heat source. This will not likely end well.

3) Solvent. Don't know of any in particular, this will also not likely end well.

4) Fire. The grill cloth should act as a wick and will leave no doubt that you need new grill cloth. [:)]

Freeze and break off any big chunks.

This next trick is used by church custodians to remove candle drippings from carpet. I've seen this done successfully many times. Remember to be careful and patient.

Using brown paper (yup, a grocery bag) and a WARM iron (you might check first on the back of the grille to make sure you WON"T melt the cloth), layer it up so there is a solid surface, brown paper, grille section, more brown paper, then slowly move the iron over the area where wax is, the brown paper will soak it up. You may need to move the brown paper several time and increase/ decrease the heat. It's slow, but by melting and wicking, you should be able to remove all the wax.

Then apply heated iron to fiance's backside.

Fire safety tips. Never leave candle burning unattended. Always have candles on another fireproof platter large enough to catch all drippings (an old plate will do).

Michael

D-MAN has an excellent point. Someone who must have some kind of fire going constantly and who can overturn a candle simply by putting it out, will eventually cause a fire and perhaps seriously hurt someone. I hope you don't live in an apartment or condo, so that you two are risking lives other than your own.

I feel for ya man. My room mate put a candle on top of my 46inch sony tv. Sure enough it didn't take long before the candle fell. It's a good thing he didn't start an actual fire, but he got wax on the screen (it's a rear projection) and then it got down in the speaker holes of the tv.

I got it off the screen, but never got it out of the speaker holes. I guess it doesn't matter since I picked up my Rf35's but still.... room mates....

As for your situation... call klipsch, get a replacement grill.

Divin,

First off Please change (Delete) the word Kill from your First Posting.........it is a bit harsh.

as others have said, take a t shirt with an Ice cube and place it over the grill cover (take it off the speaker front). Hold it on there for maybe a minute or two. This should harden the way, and you

can gently scape off the wax...with a credit card...take your time.

B4 U do her N obtain sizeable life insurance policy with you as the sole beneficiary. Sorry to learn about the soon 2 B unfortunate incident that resulted in the early demise of your fiancee. Perhaps U could use the insurance $$ to replace some of the items she damaged while still with the living???[6]

B4 U do her N obtain sizeable life

insurance policy with you as the sole beneficiary. Sorry to learn

about the soon 2 B unfortunate incident that resulted in the early

demise of your fiancee. Perhaps U could use the insurance $$ to

replace some of the items she damaged while still with the

living???[6]

LOL!