May have to Disown (?) Fiancée

divin11112000

Some women believe that they have a RIGHT to drip wax and risk burning down the house. They need to be re-educated about the error of their ways. It will only get worse after marriage when she thinks that she owns you.

Work it out now or split the sheets before you tie the knot that cannot be untied.

Bill

Good luck with the wax removal. My wife has so many candles in our house we could light 'em all up and never have to have the furnace on in the winter!

She got melted wax all over a TV once. Fortunately it was her old 13" RCA that I occasionally used to play Nintendo on.

I don't even let her dust my speakers or entertainment system off.

I mostly just agreeing with the rest. I'm not quite sure how fragile the cloth might be.

If I was to do it, I'd start with freezing. I've had silver candle holder caked with wax. Putting them in the freezer makes the wax much more brittle. Given present winter temperatures in the midwest, you could put the grills outside over night, or in the garage, or in the car.

I'm again a little hesitant about the prospect of pulling frozen wax off the cloth. In any event there will be some residue and the iron and paper trick will have to be used.

The housekeeping hints seem to always suggest a brown paper bag as the best. I've used paper towels and they work okay. One issue could be that the cloth is probably a type of rayon and the clothes iron must be set accordingly. Most people are getting the wax off less heat sensitive table cloths.

We may be overlooking a true expert on this. Rev. Dr. Bill must have experience getting candle wax off of altar cloths.

Gil

We use newspapers for getting off the wax at our church (and we get

tons of it on the carpet but you could never tell). You don't want to

use a very porous paper (like paper towles) because it burns too

easily, which prevents the wax from getting soaked up. Also, don't use

printer paper because it already has a film of wax on it, which again

prevents it from soaking up more wax. Construction paper works pretty

well, but you gotta get the right kind (the stuff that isn't waxy or

the kind that shreds easily).

"We may be overlooking a true expert on this. Rev. Dr. Bill must have experience getting candle wax off of altar cloths. "

Gil, no offense to the good Rev. but I'm a wedding photographer. I see the iron and brown bag trick all the time at churches. That's what they use.

Michael

First thanks for fixing the title, I obviously was slightly angry when I posted the message.

Secondly thanks for the advice, I feel I need to add a little more information here.

I did use some ice when it first happened and i got off the only large chunck that was on the cover. The rest are mostly small dribbles down the face of the cloth. Its enough to be noticable if you pay attention, the large chunck left a rather large and very noticeable spot (where wax was between the mesh). I will try the fixes this weekend since she will not be around to hear me curse her for this.

As far as the fiancee goes, the candle was in a holder where no wax should have gotten out, the way she explained it to me was the candle (small little one in a cup type deal) the plastic cup that holds the wax inside stuck to the snuffer that she was using to put them out and when she lifted the snuffer the candle stuck momentarly then fell hit the holder and tumbled down front of the speaker. Fortunately for her the candle was out prior to the fall.

I do feel the need to defend her slightly in this incident though. As soon as i got to the speaker and took the grille off she said she would buy me a new cover, to which I told her that I would be willing to try to get it out. If i can make it less noticable i'm willing to leave it till she has the $ to order a new one (not sure how much they are yet).

Unfortunately kicking her to the curb for this incident isn't much of an option. She has been amazing in my audio purchases thus far. She was a big help in picking out the speakers (her dad has B&W 801's and a real nice Marantz receiver so she's been around hi-end audio for a long time and knows a bit about it). When we listened to the Klipsch vs the B&W 604's she talked about how much more forward sounding the Klipsch were and she would prefer that I got them instead of the B&W. I had the same feeling so I didn't have to try to convince her of my purchase. We purchased an entertainment center for her to put her candles and when I got the center and it didn't fit into the "spot" for the center I commandeered the top for the center so she only had 2 corners for her candles, she agreed with minimal complaints.

Most importantly last year for xmas she went out and bought the surrounds to finish out my 5.1, so xmas was VERY good to me. Since she bought the surrounds I had the extra $ to go with the RSW-15, purchased at the first of the year.

If the candle was made of paraffin wax, there is a simple solution. Paraffin, being an alkane, is soluble in various ethers, esthers, benzene or other various aromatic hydrocarbons. You best bet may be to get your hands on some ethoxyethane (diethyl ether). This can be had at most auto part stores in the form of starting fluid for diesel or gasoline engines. Be advised, ethoxyethane is extremely flammable. Not only that, but it has a very high vapor pressure. That fact, when combined with the fact that it is a powerful anaesthetic, could spell disaster without precautions. Anyways, just go outside and use the ethoxyethane to clean the wax out, it should dissolve readily. It should be nonstaining as well. Just dont inhale too much, or you will wake up on the ground a few hours later.

What is it with women and candles?

I mean really. I will skip the phalic implications and ask for other possible explanations for this curiosity.

I used to think it was the associated smells but I have come to discount this because it does not seem to matter if the candle smells or not.

Does fire stir a maternal instinct of security?

I will not go into all the details but my wife also spilled candle wax on some old Fisher speaker grills I once owned. A chemical sold at the grocery store to remove candle wax did the trick, but not after some serious effort.

Needless to say, candles are no longer allowed except in the dining room during dinner.

• Moderators

Allow me...

Candlelight is the softest, warmest, most flattering light in the world. Makes women feel pretty, thus, increasing self-confidence... To your benefit, we become happier, more giving, less nagging. The light is also serene, peaceful, "home-y." Comforting.

Best to let us have our candles. I recommend the kind in glass jars to avoid spillage.

Allow me...

Candlelight is the softest, warmest, most flattering light in the world. Makes women feel pretty, thus, increasing self-confidence... To your benefit, we become happier, more giving, less nagging. The light is also serene, peaceful, "home-y." Comforting.

Best to let us have our candles. I recommend the kind in glass jars to avoid spillage.

Amy,

I'll have a case of candles in hand the next time we meet!

Craig

Allow me...

Amy,

I'll have a case of candles in hand the next time we meet!

Craig

Craig....... What a ham! [:)]

Allow me...

Correctumendo Amy! Light from candles is even warmer colored than tungsten lighting (typical light bulbs), is usually at a very low level, is often seen in multiples. From a strictly lighting perspective, this large, soft, source of warm light emanating from below the face is extremely flattering for most people. It erases lines and wrinkles, hides sags in older skin, puts 'fire in the eyes' and generally makes everyone look better.

The flickering effect and any scent are nice extras. Candles are good. Trust women when it comes to stuff like this. They know how to put on makeup and what colors to wear to accentuate their positive attributes. If your gals likes candles, buy em by the truckload. I'm told it pays off.

So long as you are safe..

And of very naughty dates you can drip some of the wax.......

Michael

A friend of mine suggested that I buy a warming plate and place the candles on it, instead of lighting them.

The soot generated by a candle is significant and this eliminates this issue while still providing the scents they emit with the added safety.

But, I regret to say, this would not make my wife or Amy look any more attractive (probably not possible anyway judging by the photo).

Have a Happy and SAFE Holiday Season

from

The Westcott Family