May have to Disown (?) Fiancée

divin11112000

Marvel, I wasn't aiming anything at you in a serious way and hope you did not take it as anything other than goofing around.

But, cutting through all the sarcasm, I will maintain there is a difference between men and women, generally. That's why this hi-fi site is a magnet for men more than women. That's why more men ride motorcycles than women. If it wasn't for these differences, the distinction between the sexes would be more blurred, and there would be far less to appreciate.

And in case anyone is looking for something in here to recoil at, note that I never claimed anything makes men superior to women, nor do I believe women should be paid less than men for the same work, nor should they be excluded from military combat if they want to fight wars the hard way, etc. Nobody should be denied their dreams and ambitions and a fair playing field.

... But, cutting through all the

sarcasm, I will maintain there is a difference between men and women,

generally. That's why this hi-fi site is a magnet for men more

than women. That's why more men ride motorcycles than

women. If it wasn't for these differences, the distinction

between the sexes would be more blurred, and there would be far

less to appreciate.

Oh, I mostly agree with you there. I have quite enjoyed the fact that my wife is different than me. [:D]

I don't totally agree about the hi-fi stuff. A lot has to do with

how we are raised. Maybe we can turn that all around with our own kids.

You know, teach the girls that science and math are fun. The working on

engines is fun, etc.

I see your point, there, but I'd focus on letting them have exposure to all those things and decide for themselves what they like. They might still gravitate toward dolls and play-houses, but that's okay. But if they find they like hi-fi, guns and race cars, I say go for it!

Women have come a long way and have entered many professions long dominated by men. So, these days, I have no concerns whatsoever. If a woman wants to be a lawyer, doctor, scientist, architect, etc., there are already plenty there, and the avenues are wide open for the taking. Equal pay is a bit of a different issue. I am bothered by its remaining and unresolved problem - but far from insurmountable for the woman who persists. Great gains are made for women one woman at a time.

But then, who are we to define what "great gains" are? These observations are not too far away from a subtle discounting of traditional womens' roles.

I don't totally agree about the hi-fi stuff. A lot has to do with

how we are raised. Maybe we can turn that all around with our own kids.

You know, teach the girls that science and math are fun. The working on

engines is fun, etc.

That will depend on whom you talk to, but there has been quite a bit of

scientific research behind the evolutionary differences between males

and females. Although one can't stereo type a group, there are

very strong general gender differences (with exceptions in both parks)

that leads to those preferances.

I won't derail this thread any further... and come off as some kind of

"preacher" but evolutionary changes as well as natural selection have

always intrigued me. [8-|]

ROb

• Moderators

Although one can't stereo type a group...

Hehe, you said, "stereo" type...

Maybe I can be classified in the exception category, but I don't really think so.

I never played with dolls or dollhouses....when given the choice, I was wading in our creek and climbing trees.

I believe girls play with dolls because they are given dolls to play with. I don't think our differences run too much deeper than that. Some inherent instinctual differences, perhaps, but in most cases, tradition outweighs genetic predilections...

IMO, of course.

At any rate, glad to see some "chicks" around here!!! [:)] Don't scare 'em off, guys!

I have all of the capability. And have.. Probably more than most men. I enjoy bonding with my kids.. The 1, 3, 5 AM feedings changing diapers.. baths, brushing teeth, multiple outfits, getting food down them, entertaining them, nurturing them creatively with books, and singing and challenging them as much as I can in a 4 yr old girl and a 22 month old son.

Isn't that called Parenting?

But I have to admit that gene in women seems to kick in more.. Especially with things like breat feedings and knowing when they need medicine or the moods of the kids.. That 9- 10 month journey allows them to feel that a lot more than any man could...

oh my, it seems i have managed to derail this train and take it way off course!! Going along with what Amy said, I think any of the women that post here can be classified into the exception category. There doesn't seem to be too many of us! Girls are not generally assoiciated with having knowlegde about audio equipment (or anything electrical other than kitchen appliances), which is unfortunate because obviously some women are quite knowledgable about things other than what society says they should be. What people grow up around (men and women) has a large impact on the characteristics that person has. In my case, I spent more time around stereo equipment, power tools, and mud pies than I did dolls and tea parties. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy being a girl and being swept off my feet occasionally. It just means that I am capable of taking care of myself.

Oh and I won't say who should leave and who should stay. I will assume the comments that were made were made in a state of shock and profound sadness for what may become of the speaker in question [:P]

Missa

oh, and I don't scare easily.....if I did I wouldn't be marrying Divin!!!!