Forte II novice

weisshai

Greetings,

I recently became a first-time Klipsch owner (have a pair of Forte IIs in transit), and as this forum suggests, I do have some (perhaps elementary) "questions about amp and speaker matching." I'm currently running a vintage set of AR-9s with a mid-90s Kenwood KR-V8060 A/V receiver rated at 100 watts per channel. In the past, I had bi-amped these large and rather inefficient speakers with a high end power amp and a Yamaha CA series integrated amp. The Kenwood receiver has never been satisfactory in driving the AR-9s; so, instead of going for another power amp, I decided to look into higher-efficiency speakers. I'd been aware of Klipsch's reputation for a very long time, and finally decided that my needs would best be served by the horn-loaded monsters I have on the way. I probably should have gone this route years ago: I'm pretty much a strictly rock/prog/metal fan, and let's just say I usually don't listen to many string quartets or arias!!

The question(s)? Actually, I'm more or less looking for general comments/observations on what sort of amplification (tube?) might best fit the Fortes, with the caveat that I've yet to hear them in their intended environment. I am not an inveterate audiophile, so any and all input would be most appreciated... and feel free to bash the Kenwood receiver, which was gleefully bought at Circuit "Shitty" with a minimum of consideration and price/convenience carrying the day!

W.

There is no inherent reason that either the Kenwood receiver or the Yamaha amp will not sound fine with the Fortes. Most here will advise you to set up the speakers and listen to them for weeks or months before deciding if something else needs changing/upgrading. Set them up and begin evaluating and tweaking the speaker placement first to get the best stereo imaging. In my secondary setup, I have a Yamaha CA-600 int amp, sometimes running a pair of Fortes, and there is no way I could turn the volume up to the 12 o'clock position without being blasted out of the room. I don't think you will lack for power with such efficient speakers.

No, amount of power should not be an issue. Quality of that power might, however. Listening to what you have for a bit is good advice. I have run Fortes with 15 - 20 watts of PP tube amplification (el34 and el84 drivers) with success. Others will, no doubt, chime in with solid state options.

Bill! You're using my phrase! Stop it at once ! LOL

Seriously, welcome to the madness,you'll see as time passes that it's impossible to own just one pair of Klipsch. The ForteII is a very highly thought of Klipsch speaker, efficient, smooth, deep frequency response. As stated, you should not have any trouble driving it with any of your SS receivers or a tube amp if you should choose.

Michael

Welcome to the disease! You will find as others have said, you will not be able to stop with just two!

With that said, the Fort'e speakers are perhaps the ultimate Rock

speaker Klipsch made. I have had no problem going to insane sound

levels with mine. Listen to them for a while then decide what you want

to do, I hope you have a thick checking account as the sickness takes

hold, you won't be able to pass up the "deals" that will surly follow!!

I really like the way my Forte II's sound with my Harman Kardon HK430 and the best part is I only paid $80 for it!!! The entire line of Harman Kardon Twin Powered receivers (HK630, HK730, & HK930) are supposed to sound just as good.

Also my speakers sit on padded carpet over concrete and I heard a big improvement after adding spikes...total cost $10!!!

Hi,

I have Forte I's and I've listened to them hooked up to an EICO Hf-81

(14 watts pp EL84's ) and a Cary SLI-80 ( 50 watts triode mode KT-88s).

Both sounded great. The EICO could play loud, the Cary pinned my

ears back.

These speakers are great on all music, but on large scale music, be it

rock, big bands or symphonic they really come into their own.

Sit back and enjoy !!!

good listening

Larry

• Moderators

Having recently purchased our second pair of Forte II's (thank you again Michael) and in pursuit of a third pair, I must tell you we are extremely happy with the purchases. During our 27 year marriage we have owned numerous speakers including a pair dtel custom built to specifications. The Forte II's have outperformed them all. My favorite DVD is Clapton, One More Car, One More Rider, Live on Tour 2001, You Look Wonderful Tonight, where the guy plays the clarinet through the keyboard. Crank em up and listen to that piece, it sounds like your in the room with the guy.

Our first experience with Klipsch was brand new Synergy speakers, which were amazing for the price and sound. I have never been really interested in the whole audio thing, although I love music and dancing. That is until dtel joined the forum and started his "quest for the Holy Grail". Now...I feel like Michael...it is an addiction...the next listening high...Good luck and congratulations on your purchase

• Like 1

I had Chris Munson, "popbumper", build a set of K-stack crossovers which took my Forte" II's to the next level! I also spiked the cabinets and added some weight which helped tighten things up. The last thing I did was to get titanium diaphragms from Bob Crites, BEC, which really livened up the top end. I am using a modest Yamaha RX-777 stereo receiver and I'm very, very pleased with the sound! All these frills cost money but were worth it to me as these are likely my last speakers for a long time. I am planning on getting a different integrated amp in the near future though. Hope this helps.

Mark